Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Famous Fly Fisherman

From South Hills Pgh.
First off: Merry Christmas to all.

Second: While sitting at work this morning (Merry Christmas right?) I came across this article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette about Steeler/Outdoorsman Brett Keisel.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11359/1199077-358-3.stm

On the 3rd page of the article it states that Steelers Safety Troy Polamalu is an avid fly fisherman who frequents Central PA. I never knew this about Troy (who knows if its true or not).

I got to thinking, have any of you ever run into Troy, or any other celebrity out on the stream? Ever fished WITH a celebrity? If you did, tell us the story and what your impression of that person was.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 11:55

Re: Famous Fly Fisherman
From Monessen, PA
I was fishing a stretch of Penns one evening last Spring and while waiting for rises, Natalie Portman came walking through the woods alone carrying a fly rod and wearing a pair of hip waders and a red bikini. She came by where I was sitting and was startled, letting out a gasp of surprise and I apologized for frightening her. She was very sweet and I asked her if she'd like to have a sip of bourbon while we waited for the spinnerfall. She agreed, somewhat shyly, and we shared a few draws. Before long, I woke up.

Merry Christmas-- true story!

Posted on: 2011/12/25 12:07

From Philadelphia
I have never fished with a celebrity or a famous person for that matter (unless you include Dwight Landis, genuine nice guy by the way) but I did get scolded by Joe Humphries one day. Didn't know it was him but apparently he did not like the way I was handling the releasing of a fish. Now he was clear across Penn's Creek (maybe 100 feet away) and couldn't see that the fly was pretty deep, not cut the fly off deep but not in the lip either. It took me a few seconds to realize I needed my hemos but apparently not fast enough for Joe. He yelled over that I needed to buy a set of hemos, just as I was taking them off the inside of my vest. Now I guess Joe has seen enough and paid enough dues to give him the right to get cranky but he did put me off. Now I would certainly sit down and have a beer with Joe because I hold no ill will but not the best first impression.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 12:17

From Greensburg, PA
I passed and greeted Adam West (Batman) on the Little Wood River many years back. I felt it best to keep moving and not engage in conversation but we exchanged polite hellos. There were lots of celebs floating around the town Ketchum, ID but he's the only one I saw on stream.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 12:27

Dan bailey
Joe Brooks
Stu Apte
John Alden Knight
Ed shenk [s]
Ed Koch
Charles Fox
Bud Lilly
but no one outside the sport-understandable since I was mostly night or foul weather fisherman.Not too many sensible people wading the Missouri or Yellowstone at 3am in mid Oct...lol
thanks for the heads up,FI-didn't fish with any-just met the people-lol

Posted on: 2011/12/25 12:49

From Gettysburg
MJE,
I have heard that Troy P enjoys fly fishing.

I too have been scolded by some big name FFers in the past when I was young. In retrospect, I deserved it.

Can't say I've really fished with any big names/celebrities on a personal level....unless you count JackM, JayL, and Afishinado.

On a serious note, I did have the good fortune of spending time with Charlie Fox on Letort: wonderful and witty man with limitless patience in answering the eager questions of a teenager.

Edit: I've met all the guys in Pete's list above except Brooks, Bailey and Knight. Wouldn't say I've fished with 'em.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 12:55

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
didn't fish with any-just met the people-lol

well, wasn't that kind of the point of the whole thread?

Posted on: 2011/12/25 13:04

From Chester County
Quote:

MJE2083 wrote:
First off: Merry Christmas to all.

Second: While sitting at work this morning (Merry Christmas right?) I came across this article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette about Steeler/Outdoorsman Brett Keisel.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11359/1199077-358-3.stm

On the 3rd page of the article it states that Steelers Safety Troy Polamalu is an avid fly fisherman who frequents Central PA. I never knew this about Troy (who knows if its true or not).

I got to thinking, have any of you ever run into Troy, or any other celebrity out on the stream? Ever fished WITH a celebrity? If you did, tell us the story and what your impression of that person was.

It is true. I knew Eric Stroup pretty well when he had his shop along Spruce (Spruce Creek Fly Company). He told me that Troy P. showed up at the shop one day out of the blue asking about places to fish. Eric took him out fishing that day, and has taken him out quite a bit since. Eric currently runs a guide service in Central PA.

Troy frequents the area frequently (off-season...off football season that is) and has even been rumored to be looking to buy a cabin and some land for fishing.

Eric told me that Troy is a decent FFer.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 13:15

Edited by afishinado on 2011/12/25 14:19:49

From Bethlehem, PA
I can only imagine FF with Troy P. Let a little chuckle out when he gets tangled in a tree and he levels you with a flying forearm. That would be some intense fishing.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 14:08

From Philadelphia
We need to get Troy to join PAFF, we can use him as our enforcer when things get nasty! LOL

Posted on: 2011/12/25 14:12

From pennsylvania
I fished with George Harvey for years before I realized that he was famous. I just thought that he was helpful and friendly. I wish that I hadn't used the dozens of flys that he gave me...
His successor, on the other hand is not so cool.
He tried to muscle in on me at the Breeches below Allenberry explaining that he was J.H. and it was his pool and he would show me how to fish it. I was doing pretty alright without his help. When I didn't give up the spot he went in just above me. It was clear that I was fishing upstream. When I launched a few rocks his way, he left.
I was probably the reason that he joined SRC.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 15:01

When I was a fly fishermen I had some run ins with spinners who seemed to think 50 yds was plenty of room for a guy working streamers downstream-I guess they felt we would just stand in one place all day-lol
That's why I really got into night fishing-waited til they went home and came out like a vampire and did my thing-still do.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 16:37

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
We need to get Troy to join PAFF, we can use him as our enforcer when things get nasty! LOL

Troy was here for a while, but we had to cancel his registration after he repeatedly intercepted PMs and derailed dicussions cutting across the middle.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 16:51

From South Hills Pgh.
Funny story Jack, the same thing happened to me a few years back except the bikini was green (as to not spook fish) and I was drinking rum(as usual).

Speaking of celebrity fly fishermen, a little while after posting this someone gave me a book for a gift by Henry Winkler aka The Fonz about fly fishing.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 20:40

From SW PA
Back when he was still employed locally, Gary Anderson was often sighted steelhead fishing, on their day off (Tusedays if I remember right). Anyway, he fished past me on Elk one morning. I think we asked each other about the fishing that morning but that was about it.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 9:23

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com