Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Famous Fly Fisherman

From Berryville Virginia
I’ve met a few famous (or so called authors on the stream) and have been asked to move and let them fish through with their paying customer(s). The answer has always been the same you can fish around me, and as stuck up as they are, they said do you know who I am and every time I said yes and you can fish around. I wouldn't ask them to move from a hole with a midge hatch and rising fish. Let’s just say I gave away all of the books and videos I had. When I go to show I normally do not even talk to the big name guys or even watch the cast for show contests. However, I will talk to the Rodmakers.
Joe E

Posted on: 2011/12/28 10:39

From Monessen, PA
I would yield my hole or run to most anyone, famous or not, out of sheer kindness and pity that they would be so bold as to ask.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 11:10

Reciprocating type here.
Nice>nice
S.O.B>you couldn't even come close to matching me.lol
Proud-no,but honest.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 11:41

After you surrendered the pool, would you then throw rocks into it?
The "Do you know who I am?" syndrome must be common among the famous. One famous fly fisherman, who shall remain nameless here (at least for now), was grouse hunting on one of my former co-worker's property without permission. My friend asked him if he had permission to hunt there, and his response was to ask my friend if my friend knew who he was. My friend didn't, and when the famous one told him, my friend said, "No wonder Tate hates you!" Well, so much for that bag of air.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 11:46

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
When I was just starting fly fishing, I was on Spring Creek at the next access up from the handicap ramp (near the wall). I was doing ok, trico's I think. Anyway, a car comes rolling up, and out steps an older gentleman, no fishing gear on or anything. Comes to the stream and asks how I was doing, I gave the obligatory "got a few" or whatever. And then he starts asking more detailed questions. So I walked over and started talking, but was a little short on details. At least until he said, "I'm asking because that's George Harvey in the passenger side, he likes to keep tabs on how the stream is faring."

Suppose it was similar to dryflyguy's experience, except that George was perhaps a bit older. He didn't get out of the car.

A few years later I ran into Joe Humphries on the LJR, though we didn't speak beyond a head nod as I walked by. I've met him a number of times outside of fishing situations (at FFP, and at fly shows).

And of course I've met the handful of celebrities we have here on this board.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 11:50

From Chadds Ford, PA
Fishing for Atlantic Salmon on the Miramichi River in the mid 70's in some sort of boat with guide. Passed a guy all alone casting beautifully towards midstream. Guide turned and asked, "Know who that is?" I said "Yeah, right" Well, I'm sure some of you have figured it out. "That's Ted Williams".....want to get his autograph? I declined since I never understood the whole autograph thing and I really don't think old "Teddy Baseball" would have been very receptive given his reputation. A little aside.....the "Splendid Splinter" was my father's favorite player. My Dad died when I was nine. The Red Sox are my second favorite team to this day because of this. Although recently the Boston fans are making me rethink my position. One last note.....my daughter now lives in Boston.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 11:57

From Bozeman
I am nearly positive that I talked to charlie meck on a berks county stream. He looked like meck, was about the right age, and began picking my brain about the stream. I grew up fishing it, but told him that I'm from Philly and had no idea about the area.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 12:00

From Tailwater USA
Meck is interesting, anything you tell him will end up in a book someday. Becareful, I know atleast three guys that took him places and then he ended up diming out there "secret spots" he is the ultimate spot burner.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 12:31

From Bozeman
Yep. As soon as I began to suspect that it was him, I slammed the vault door shut.

Made that mistake before, won't make it again.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 12:33

Not sure what year it was 03? Was on the Firehole when Buffet and Brokaw were being guided- probably would not have known it was them, except Blue Ribbon Flies told my me they were gonna be out there that day guiding them. Betcha that's a nice tip.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 12:56

From Bozeman
I know where brokaw don't fish.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 13:02

From Monessen, PA
Vaaarrley Croik?

Posted on: 2011/12/28 13:10

Boulder river-good when the yellowstone is off.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 14:45

From Bozeman
I am pro-boulder river.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 14:47

I hooked a monster when I first moved there but lost it to a poor knot-best lesson I ever had.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 14:54

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com