Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Famous Fly Fisherman

From western pa
About five years ago I spent a week fishing at a ranch in Wyoming. Sigourney Weaver of Alien fame was also there that week and I got to share some time with Her and her kids fly-fishing.....She's a real down to earth celeb and a pretty good fisherwoman.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 11:05

From florida
I met Jack Sharkey in New Hampshire 40 or so years back. He was fly fishing for landlocked salmon In Lake Winapasaukee.
Met Mark Sosin in the Keys while fishing a Mako Owners tournament hosted by Boog Powell. Boog had a marina on Stock Island just north of Key West. That was the time that he was doing the Miller Light Commercials and had kegs of the stuff sitting on the dock. He had his staff get fish for a fry and had a huge barbecue Sat. nite. Boog was one of the craziest people I've ever met.
Met Left Krey at a local boat show, seemed like a good guy.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 11:59

From Newville, PA
Like Fishidiot, I was fortunate to spend time with Charlie Fox. I was just a kid who would ride his bike or hitchhike from Newville to Carlisle to fish the famous LeTort. Charlie was a great guy who was always willing to share with those to stopped by his meadow. It was not until some time after our first meeting that I became aware of his fame. I will always treasure those days spent in Fox's meadow

Met Lefty Kreh on Green Spring Creek in August 1973. Only remember the year because I had just received my drivers license and school had not yet started. Lefty was fishing over water I had just covered with a LeTort hopper only 30 minutes before with limited success. The trout with had just ignored my offering fell under his spell. We talked for a while about fishing in general and the fly he was using at the time (jassid) and asked if it was ok to move upstream on my position. Believing I was in the presence of a pied piper, I followed him through the upper meadow for the next hour or so where i witnessed an exhibition the likes of which I've never seen before or since. I still have the 6 jassids he gave me that day.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 15:37

When I was young, I met both Charles Fox and Vince Marinaro. Though Marinaro had a reputation for being brusque, he was patient and engaging the times I ran into him. Fox was also a gentleman. Never met them on the stream though, just at places off the water.
I also ran into GH, but only once, and also found him to be the type of person you want to run into. Like others, when I saw JH giving casting demos, etc. at various functions, I thought him to be rather full of himself. Just my impression.
Best flycaster I ever saw was Henry Malone of Milesburg, though I guess he wasn't a celebrity, except to those of us who got to fish with him and got to listen to his tales.
I wouldn't mind meeting Natalie P. as Jack described her, but my wife might not approve, even at my age.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 16:56

I was fortunate enough to attend PSU in the late 70's and early 80's. I remember drinking beer with Joe Humphries and Bob Bachman following TU meetings at the Elks, listening intently as Joe and Bob discussed the feeding habits of wild brown trout. The discussion was priceless. During that same period I also had the pleasure of meeting George Harvey at Fisherman's Paradise and receiving a 10 minute primer on dry fly fishing, again priceless. A few years later I met Charlie Fox while fishing the meadow on the Letort. We ahd a very nice chat about muskie fishing, apparently one of Charlie's other passions.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 9:42

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Nuthin_Fancy wrote:
I met Charlie Fox while fishing the meadow on the Letort. We ahd a very nice chat about muskie fishing, apparently one of Charlie's other passions.

Yep, he often talked to me about this when I asked him about fishin. I never saw him actually fishing Letort, but he was always eager to discuss his latest muskie excursions. In the late 70s, Jerry Gibbs wrote an article in one of the big three outdoor magazines about Fox's passion for muskies. I remember reading the article when I was a kid.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 9:54

From Other side of the tracks
Never met any celebs while fishing, probably because I don't frequent the famous streams. But I have bumped into at least one celeb while golfing.

After coming out of the clubhouse at Oakmont CC (we were golfing a secondary course that is sometimes used for parking), one of our group asked me if I was a Willie Nelson fan. I said "not really." With that, my friend told me that Willie was standing on the tee block waiting to tee off. Sure enough, it was Willie in the foursome ahead of us. I thought it was a woman. I think we were close enough for Willie to hear us because they wasted no time putting at least one hole between us.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 11:12

From Pittsburgh
I've had the pleasure of meeting joe humphrey, greg hoover, and charlie meck on central pa streams over the years.
However, the most memorable moment for me, happened at fisherman's paradise. I had stopped there with a buddy of mine to eat our lunch on one of the picnic tables along the stream.
Then a car pulled up beside us, and and old guy inside rolls down the window, and asks us how the fishing is. It was george harvey.
We proceeded to have a nice chat with him - and while doing so, I managed to notice a fish rise a few times.
So, I made a few casts to it with the master watching. And he told me that my mechanics weren't quite right, and walked over and gave me a casting lesson right there

Posted on: 2011/12/27 11:36

From Monessen, PA
I fished with Tim Murphy on more than one occasion.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 11:56

Hey-if we are going to name drop-i saw Bill Russell in China[he didn't want to be seen-hank panky] and Mantle and a lot of the other yankees at the race track.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 11:58

From Bucks County
Quote:

JackM wrote:
I fished with Tim Murphy on more than one occasion.

Was there beer involved?

Posted on: 2011/12/27 12:04

From Monessen, PA
Surely. The one time in early June, he wore short pants. By nightfall, which is how long it took us to see the first rise, he was not too comfy. Then came the biting flies.

I would like to once wade up to a famous fly angler and immediately begin to give him or her helpful tips on fly fishing. The look on their face would be priceless.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 12:09

From Harrisburg
Dear Board,

Dr. Doug Swift, he was one of the outside linebackers on the 17-0 Miami Dolphins team. He became a medical Doctor after he left football.

I met him through Bob Sentiwany when the shop was still in White Haven.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2011/12/27 15:05
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Tailwater USA
I guess to answer this question you have to have two groups. Celebrities i.e. actors, sports figures etc. and flyfishing celebrites such as Humphreys Harvey, Lefty etc. To answer the first question celebrities, When I was in college at PSU I was once asked if I would take Bobby Knight out fishing on Spring Creek. I helped out teaching a flycasting class and the professor at the time asked me if I was interested because I knew alot about spring creek and he thought I would be a good fit for him. Unfortunately our schedules conflicted so I couldn't do it. I look back now and thought that would have been really cool to do.

As for fishing with Flyfishing Celebrites, I have fished with a bunch and in reality there is nothing extraordinary about them. Most are great guys like alot of people on here. They have generated their status as a celebrity by writing books and lecturing etc. To be honest alot of those guys are a lot of hype and after fishing with some I was very dissapointed. I can honestly say some of the best guys I have ever fished with have no celebrity status. One guy in particular ties the coolest flies, and can fish circles round almost anyone I know. I can fish a run pound 10 fish out of it in 15 minutes and then he rolls right behind me after I all but cleaned it out and spooked the water and pull another 10 out on wet flies. It is really amazing. He has never written a book, told a lecture or been on TV. Just a average guy who loves to fish.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 18:40

From Greensburg, PA
I think since Troy was the original example it was probably famous people who fly fish and not people who are famous because they flyfish. Either way, my experience has been that regular celebrities seem to be less snobby about their hobby then flyfishing pros are about their profession. It think its about humility of being out of your comfort zone. And Pete...tell us about the time you met Pharoh.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 19:58

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com