Fall stocking this year

mute

mute

Did the PFAB kill off alot of the fall stockings this year?

No, just some of them. The fish were almost entirely shifted back to the spring program and stocked in spring, 2013 in the same stream sections that would have received those fish in fall, 2013.

A creek I fish is scheduled to be stocked on Oct. 1st, but the way the water levels look now it would not be advisable, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Mike, thanks for the update. Although the stream im referring to is Pickering DHALO, which if i remember never got spring stockings from the state, just fall and winter. Also seems white clay is also gone.

A localish(under an hour) stream I fish in the fall got removed from the list. There's two other stocked streams nearby that are still getting stocked this fall but I am a little bummed about the one not being stocked to be honest. Noticed two other ones I fish also got taken off the list too, but I usually only fish those ones in the spring.

There's always real trout.......

streamerguy wrote:
A localish(under an hour) stream I fish in the fall got removed from the list. There's two other stocked streams nearby that are still getting stocked this fall but I am a little bummed about the one not being stocked to be honest. Noticed two other ones I fish also got taken off the list too, but I usually only fish those ones in the spring.

There's always real trout.......

Last sentence of first paragraph is why they have dropped some of the fall stockings..

It was my understanding that the rest are being removed and this was the last fall stockings for the state period. No?

I sure hope that is not the case, I did hear something about them cutting back the number of areas (rivers/creeks) they stock during fall.

One only needs to go to the PA Fish and Boat sight and check the Fall stocking schedule. Fall Stocking is becoming a thing of the past.

A deputy informed me that White Clay Creek will not receive a fall stocking by the PAFBC. I was disappointed to hear that, because I fish it regularly in the fall. Now I've got to drive almost an hour to find a trout stream, which means I will be doing very little trout fishing this fall. I used to really look forward to the fall stocking.

Unless one of the clubs stocks the Upper DH area on Big Pine Creek will not get fish.

IMO the PFBC is becoming as useless as the PGC. They cut stocking but WASTE 5000 fingerlings by putting them into a stream that is marginal and then survey it a year later and they can only find 15 of them. Not 15% but 15 total. Then they will do it again this fall and WASTE 5000 more and then 5000 more the following year for a total of 15000 fingerlings totally WASTED for a study that was stupid to begin with. Spend all that time, effort and money to determine that the stream should continue to be put and take. I could have told them that without a 3 year study! :-x

What stream are you referring to wild tiger?

Not sure what stream he's referring to, but I have a feeling a fingerling stocked stream in the NW part of the state may fit into the same category. I fished it a couple times in the fall and winter and the fingerlings were everywhere, then I fished it again about a month ago and didn't catch any, and spooked maybe 2 of the fingerlings if that. That stream doesn't need stocked to begin with though...

I'd be very interested in seeing the results of the electrofishing the PFBC did(assuming they did it already, or will do it before they stock the next batch..)

I agree WildTiger, the PFBC gets tons of stockies and then the distribution end of the system is totally wacked out, maybe they need more researchers or staff, it's like winning the lottery then getting drunk and blowing it all on strippers

WildTigerTrout wrote:
IMO the PFBC is becoming as useless as the PGC.

Whatever.

They cut stocking but WASTE 5000 fingerlings by putting them into a stream that is marginal...

Fingerlings are significantly cheaper to raise to a stockable size and quantity. Raising fingerlings and cutting stocking of adult fish do not directly correlate. One does not directly affect the other.

...and then survey it a year later and they can only find 15 of them. Not 15% but 15 total. Then they will do it again this fall and WASTE 5000 more and then 5000 more the following year for a total of 15000 fingerlings totally WASTED for a study that was stupid to begin with.

Even natural populations have boom and bust years. By stocking over several years, they can determine if this is a normal survival rate. This is not a waste, it is part of the process.

Spend all that time, effort and money to determine that the stream should continue to be put and take. I could have told them that without a 3 year study! :-x

Maybe. Maybe not.

kind of a bummer my local stream didn't get a fall stocking even though its a put and take feel like they definitely are cutting back on fall stocking and using the money for something else

PennKev wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:
IMO the PFBC is becoming as useless as the PGC.

Whatever.

They cut stocking but WASTE 5000 fingerlings by putting them into a stream that is marginal...

Fingerlings are significantly cheaper to raise to a stockable size and quantity. Raising fingerlings and cutting stocking of adult fish do not directly correlate. One does not directly affect the other.

...and then survey it a year later and they can only find 15 of them. Not 15% but 15 total. Then they will do it again this fall and WASTE 5000 more and then 5000 more the following year for a total of 15000 fingerlings totally WASTED for a study that was stupid to begin with.

Even natural populations have boom and bust years. By stocking over several years, they can determine if this is a normal survival rate. This is not a waste, it is part of the process.

Spend all that time, effort and money to determine that the stream should continue to be put and take. I could have told them that without a 3 year study! :-x

Maybe. Maybe not.
Spin it and justify it any way you like. I have my opinion and you have yours. IMO it's a WASTE plain and simple.

It is no skin off our backs. They could just as easily cut adult trout stockings and not even bother trying some fingerling stocking. i don't see a problem with trying it.

Hey, when is Stocktoberfest?

Back