HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Fall stocking this year

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
IMO the PFBC is becoming as useless as the PGC.

Whatever.

Quote:
They cut stocking but WASTE 5000 fingerlings by putting them into a stream that is marginal...

Fingerlings are significantly cheaper to raise to a stockable size and quantity. Raising fingerlings and cutting stocking of adult fish do not directly correlate. One does not directly affect the other.

Quote:
...and then survey it a year later and they can only find 15 of them. Not 15% but 15 total. Then they will do it again this fall and WASTE 5000 more and then 5000 more the following year for a total of 15000 fingerlings totally WASTED for a study that was stupid to begin with.

Even natural populations have boom and bust years. By stocking over several years, they can determine if this is a normal survival rate. This is not a waste, it is part of the process.

Quote:
Spend all that time, effort and money to determine that the stream should continue to be put and take. I could have told them that without a 3 year study!

Maybe. Maybe not.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 18:29

From Southeast Pa
kind of a bummer my local stream didn't get a fall stocking even though its a put and take feel like they definitely are cutting back on fall stocking and using the money for something else

Posted on: 2013/9/24 20:44

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

PennKev wrote:
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
IMO the PFBC is becoming as useless as the PGC.

Whatever.

Quote:
They cut stocking but WASTE 5000 fingerlings by putting them into a stream that is marginal...

Fingerlings are significantly cheaper to raise to a stockable size and quantity. Raising fingerlings and cutting stocking of adult fish do not directly correlate. One does not directly affect the other.

Quote:
...and then survey it a year later and they can only find 15 of them. Not 15% but 15 total. Then they will do it again this fall and WASTE 5000 more and then 5000 more the following year for a total of 15000 fingerlings totally WASTED for a study that was stupid to begin with.

Even natural populations have boom and bust years. By stocking over several years, they can determine if this is a normal survival rate. This is not a waste, it is part of the process.

Quote:
Spend all that time, effort and money to determine that the stream should continue to be put and take. I could have told them that without a 3 year study!

Maybe. Maybe not.
Spin it and justify it any way you like. I have my opinion and you have yours. IMO it's a WASTE plain and simple.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 21:37

From New Castle, PA
It is no skin off our backs. They could just as easily cut adult trout stockings and not even bother trying some fingerling stocking. i don't see a problem with trying it.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 0:25

From Lehighton, PA
Hey, when is Stocktoberfest?

Posted on: 2013/9/30 15:16

From Da 'Berg, PA
1st and 2nd for most streams.

maybe its based on supply and demand for each county area - i see that near me, EB of the Brandywine and Ridley creek will get fish this fall.

but White clay and Pickering creek won't.

swings and roundabouts no ?

i have no issue with stocked programmes being reduced to fund experimental attempts to develop self sustaining populations - long term that will leave more of my licence and tax dollars to go back into the stocked programmes and more importantly enforcement.

what has surprised me is that some ponds/lakes will get stocked at a time when many are putting away their boats....

I agree that maybe the creeks etc are a little low to be stocking this week but the water temps are right on the nail.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 17:05

Geebee,
This does not significantly reduce the stocking program. Most of the fish that would have been stocked this fall in the stream sections that have been taken off of the fall stocking list were stocked last spring in the same sections, resulting in a corresponding increase in the spring stocking program. Spring usage by anglers is generally much better than that which occurs in fall.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 20:29

From Luzerne County, PA
One of my local streams is still on the fall stocking list. This is a medium to small stream with very little water in it right now, the stocking date is set for Oct. 1st.

I emailed a conservation group that helps float stock this stream every spring asking if they needed help, they replied saying this will not be a major float stocking, just a "bucket drop".

Doesn't sound very promising does it?

Posted on: 2013/9/30 20:45

From Harrisburg
Thats all they've been for years now in the fall stockings. Doesnt matter which stream.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 5:50

General info plus the SE Pa approach to the fall stocking program changes:

The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) has been gradually terminating the fall trout stocking program on numerous waters around the state due, in general, to low angler usage in fall as reported by many of our Conservation Officers and as even reported by some anglers. I will note that we did not suddenly receive such reports from our staff; we had been receiving them for years. Additionally, with budgets getting tighter now than perhaps they had been at times in the past and with our Commissioners recently charging the staff with finding ways to utilize our adult trout more efficiently, the fall stocking program and the late winter stocking program were two programs that came to mind immediately. The programs were attractive for the anglers who utilized them, but the bulk of the anglers did not participate, especially in the fall program. Both resulted in extra truck trips for low numbers of fish per load and in many cases low numbers of anglers per stream. Additionally, the fall program required the hatchery system to hold adult trout through the tough summer months that could have been stocked during the spring. Holding those trout through the summer resulted in substantial mortality associated with diseases and stress associated with fish coming into spawning condition. This meant that more fish had to be held through the summer than we planned on delivering to the streams and lakes in the fall just so we could achieve the desired fall allocations. Additionally, certain species were difficult to transport in the fall because of their gravid state, particularly brooks and browns, resulting in additional mortality on the trucks or post-stocking. More recently, we even had problems with rainbows becoming gravid in early fall. We tried to keep some waters in the fall program, however, and those were ones that either received good angler use, according to reports from the field, could serve the needs of a wide geographical area, or could be more efficiently stocked in combination with another section of the same stream where general statewide regulations (allowing bait fishing and harvest) applied. Catch and Release and Delayed Harvest Areas that remain in the fall stocking program in the SE part of the state are one of the two sections of Tulpehocken Ck, Berks Co.; Ridley Ck, Delaware Co.; E. Br. Brandywine Ck, Chester Co.; and Muddy Ck, York Co. In all cases, all or nearly all fish that would have been stocked this fall were instead included in last spring’s stockings of special regulation areas that are not going to receive a fall stocking.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 13:31

From Luzerne County, PA
Well they stocked my local stream, I fished it a week or so before the Fall stocking and although levels were low fish were in every pocket, the few that I didn't spook were feisty and I even hooked into a couple of rainbows that made it through the summer, all fish were released and full of vigor.

I went back yesterday, 1 week after the stocking, lots of garbage, empty corn cans left on the rocks, bottles, etc. I know that stuff wasn't there 2 weeks ago. I couldn't find a fish anywhere, and ran into 3 or 4 other anglers, all who had no luck.

My guess is the stockie followers came in and did their dirt, left their garbage and took whatever they caught, stockies and some of the hold overs. Whatever fish were left were hiding tight and in more than total spook mode.

If this is what Fall Stocking is about please get rid of it.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 16:25

HD,

It is a shame that some anglers insist in trashing the very resource that they pretend to love and in their selfish approach to fishing often ruins it for all of us through the resultant posting. Do not worry about the instantaneous fall harvest, however, because it is quite limited by the reluctance of many of the fish to hit. They are in spawning mode and only a limited percentage are harvested immediately. I would bet that there are plenty of fish that remain to be caught, and that they will begin to hit later this fall.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 21:03

Mike, I hope your scenario explains my experiences... but i suspect i am just looking in the wrong stream sections or they have been fished out already 10 days after stocking.

Anyone find significant fall stocked fish to catch on E Br Perk or Pennypack (in Lorimer park)?

as far as I can tell those are on the list and were stocked, but i fished them for a few hours and saw not a single trout (saw some last year on pennypack)

as for the E Br Perk, i fished it today for a few hours along the walking trail / park in perkasie and was surprised to see so few fish of any type. I am used to seeing a much higher population of redbreast sunnies in that kind of water. It was very low. All I caught were shiners / chubs

Posted on: 2013/10/15 23:12

From Pittsburgh, PA
I fished the DHALO section of Laurel Hill Creek in the state park near the boy scout camp last weekend. I saw lots of other anglers and lots of fish but they (the fish) ignored everything I cast their way. They seemed to be more interested in chasing each other than my flies.

Like most other fall stockings this year, Laurel Hill Creek was stocked with rainbow trout, which spawn in the spring, right? I went to this same stream last fall with similar results. Is this normal behavior?

I also met a guy who was using spinning gear to fish this section. He already had two fish on a stringer and he mentioned something about how the fish weren't hitting that well and that he was tempted to do something illegal like using bait. Since I never keep fish anyway I didn't know until I checked later that the harvest period is over.

I think in the future I may just stick to small streams and catching little brook trout. It seems like I never have a good experience in the stocked streams.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 9:21

As I stated above, "Do not worry about the instantaneous fall harvest, however, because it is quite limited by the reluctance of many of the fish to hit. They are in spawning mode and only a limited percentage are harvested immediately. I would bet that there are plenty of fish that remain to be caught, and that they will begin to hit later this fall."

Also, PFBC hatchery trout are all fall spawners.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 16:48

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com