Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Fall Coal Country Trout

From Lancaster
I was working in Schuylkill County today. I looked at the radar early this morning and saw the quick hitting weather system that gave the southeast region of PA some strong winds and heavy rain in a real fast moving front. It was the perfect scenario for me to hit up a stream in Schuylkill County later in the day that I have had on my bucket list for quite a while. Conditions later this afternoon were just about right, with the rain earlier in the day, the stream was flowing strong and a bit off color.... perfect!

This section of stream is an ATW that is listed on the PA natural repro list and is a fairly high gradient stream with some great structure. I thought it was mainly a native brookie stream from an earlier scouting trip, but was a bit surprised today when I caught both native brookies and even more wild brownies. I was fishing a size 12 bead head black/grizzly wooly bugger and they were crushing it in the faster runs and pocket water. I was hooking a lot of fish but for some reason was having trouble bringing them to hand as I lost a lot of fish this afternoon while playing them. Don't really know what the problem was ........ but it is all good! All in all it was a very enjoyable couple of hours fishing on a brand new section of stream for me, on a beautiful autumn afternoon in the heart of the PA coal country.

Attach file:

jpg  Schuylkill Co Freestoner.jpg (35.04 KB)
6132_52744e57df32e.jpg 448X321 px

jpg  brownie.jpg (26.60 KB)
6132_52744e6bb5d16.jpg 448X264 px

jpg  Schuylkill Co Freestoner 2.jpg (33.38 KB)
6132_52744e7ea6167.jpg 448X280 px

jpg  brownie 2.jpg (20.75 KB)
6132_52744e8d9d353.jpg 448X199 px

jpg  Schuylkill Co Freestoner 3.jpg (34.50 KB)
6132_52744e9ccc5a0.jpg 448X300 px

Posted on: 2013/11/1 21:03

Re: Fall Coal Country Trout

From Ferguson Twp.
Nice John, crossing off another stream on the list of wants is a good time. Congrats, nice looking stream too.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 7:24

From Schuylkill County
Great report, next time you're in the area to fish let me know.
John

Posted on: 2013/11/2 7:36
if you look at it right...

From Lancaster
JF_

I had actually thought about you when I was up there yesterday afternoon. It was kind of a "spur of the moment" thing based on the stream conditions. Many of my fishing outings are just a matter of being near a particular stream and having a little time to fish at the end of the day. I don't often hear much about Schuylkill County but it has a lot of nice water with some really great flyfishing opportunities. Hope your doing well. Till later.

dc

Posted on: 2013/11/2 8:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
122 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com