Fall Coal Country Trout

dc410

dc410

I was working in Schuylkill County today. I looked at the radar early this morning and saw the quick hitting weather system that gave the southeast region of PA some strong winds and heavy rain in a real fast moving front. It was the perfect scenario for me to hit up a stream in Schuylkill County later in the day that I have had on my bucket list for quite a while. Conditions later this afternoon were just about right, with the rain earlier in the day, the stream was flowing strong and a bit off color.... perfect!

This section of stream is an ATW that is listed on the PA natural repro list and is a fairly high gradient stream with some great structure. I thought it was mainly a native brookie stream from an earlier scouting trip, but was a bit surprised today when I caught both native brookies and even more wild brownies. I was fishing a size 12 bead head black/grizzly wooly bugger and they were crushing it in the faster runs and pocket water. I was hooking a lot of fish but for some reason was having trouble bringing them to hand as I lost a lot of fish this afternoon while playing them. Don't really know what the problem was ........ but it is all good! All in all it was a very enjoyable couple of hours fishing on a brand new section of stream for me, on a beautiful autumn afternoon in the heart of the PA coal country.

Attachments

• Schuylkill Co Freestoner.jpg
    Schuylkill Co Freestoner.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 8
  • brownie.jpg
    brownie.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Schuylkill Co Freestoner 2.jpg
    Schuylkill Co Freestoner 2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1
  • brownie 2.jpg
    brownie 2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Schuylkill Co Freestoner 3.jpg
    Schuylkill Co Freestoner 3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1
Nice John, crossing off another stream on the list of wants is a good time. Congrats, nice looking stream too.

Great report, next time you're in the area to fish let me know.
John

JF_

I had actually thought about you when I was up there yesterday afternoon. It was kind of a "spur of the moment" thing based on the stream conditions. Many of my fishing outings are just a matter of being near a particular stream and having a little time to fish at the end of the day. I don't often hear much about Schuylkill County but it has a lot of nice water with some really great flyfishing opportunities. Hope your doing well. Till later.

dc

Back