HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Etiquette?

From Philadelphia
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
This issue has been hotly debated here, and on other sites before.
It's one thing to talk about a big well know stream - if I post that the sulphers are hatching on spring creek or the little juniata for instance - that's not revealing some big secret. Any accomplished fly fisher knows about the hatch on those streams - and they have no kill regs to protect the fish.
But I don't put info on here about any of the little native streams I fish - just not smart IMO. If that's bad etiquette - so be it!

I'm in agreement here. I mean, if I did have a secret small stream
(I wish) I'd probably tell my best fishing buddy, but then I could expect dinner and a couple of beers . Other than that, I'm happy enough to give whatever information might make a guy's trip successful.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/4/15 14:15

From Greensburg, PA
We've had this discussion how many times...? Now we're having it in two different threads. If someone posts info that causes hi favorite place to become crowded then he is only hurting himself. Check the PAFBC website in the next week, they'll be hyping how great opening day was with fewer, bigger trout like they did two weeks ago.

Posted on: 2007/4/15 16:37

From Enola, PA
Dave pretty much covered my thoughts on this topic but i will add a little more of my opinion.

There are a number of books out there already in print concerning PA trout streams and hatches. I am assuming that you have also taken this issue up with those authors in an effort to get them to pull thier books from the shelves to protect the streams.

Check with Donny Beaver, i am sure he can give some tips on keeping others out of your stream.

This isnt an issue of etiquette, it is an issue of elitism and snobbery.

Posted on: 2007/4/15 20:09

uhh...nevermind

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

Concerned_Angler wrote:

Jack,

You obviously missed something I said along the way. I never said not to share this information, I suggested to share it via e-mail or PM, not pubically. I share info with folks I see fishing all the time and they usually share with me.

What you are talking about is how easy or difficult it is to gain info. It's the difference between joining a board such as this and posting and asking questions or just lurking and picking up info without any effort, which is fine, but not the best way for some of us.

The Concerned Angler

Well C_A, I know you weren't addressing me, but i seemed to miss what you were saying too initially. I read your message and I also disagreed with it. I also read Wulff-Man's message and totally agreed with it. Then I see that you agreed with it too? Something is confusing.

Lump Wulff-Man's and Stonefly57's messages together and that is how I feel on this subject.

I always cringe when I see a small native stream posted on sites like this. I don't like the kiss and tell books for the same reason. Nothing is sacred. But another thing to consider is when someone does mention a stream or a location that I am fond of, it is best to ignore it. Arguing with it just means the discussion will keep rising to the top, bringing even more attention to it. Starting a new thread was a good idea.

This has been discussed many times here over many years. None of the oldtimers (as in regulars for a few years or more) are going to change their opinion on this one.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 14:34

From LV
Naming stocked streams in a post is not an ettiquette issue it is a matter of choice. All the stocked streams are published, and as a matter of fact all the wild streams are too, so there are only secret streams in the minds of anglers. I won't post my favorite spots on the internet but I won't post misleading or incorrect information either. If I go to Kettle Creek and catch 100 wild trout, I'm not going to post that in a stream report, but if someone asks me if I've fished it and have done well there, that isn't a secret.
I do however agree with what I think you are getting at; and that is that you just don't talk about streams that are not well known on an internet message board unless you want the entire world to know where you fish.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 14:44

From South West FL
I never understood the point regardless of location. Why talk about where you fish or how many fish you catch there? Helping a buddy is one thing telling a group of strangers is pointless. I'd be out of business if I told everyone how many fish I caught and where I caught them. Fisheries can be discovered by anyone eager to pursue fishing opportunities. Why broadcast How many fish you catch unless you need a little ego boost from time to time. In that case, write a book if you're that knowledgeable it would do wonders for your self esteem. I do agree that this topic has been beaten to death and the same people always feel and reply the same way. Jack says its my rite to tell who I want etc... Pad just deals with it etc... Whatever.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 14:47

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

CaptMatt wrote:
Why talk about where you fish or how many fish you catch there?

Why broadcast How many fish you catch unless you need a little ego boost from time to time.

Not only did you answer a question with another question. You answered your own question.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 14:55

From South West FL
Tom, I'm not sure what your trying to accomplish by pointing that out. I'm sure you understood my point without dissecting my sentences. Unless you needed a little "boost" yourself. You didn't respond to my statement you only attacked the wording of it. That's a nice example to set on a fly fishing forum board. Your statment was useless to this conversation.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 15:05

I'll play the Devils Advocate,
I was told about a stocking of a DHALO and about some hog fish put in. I was told with in 100 feet of where it was. I went and guess what I got skunked.

We are reaching the point of information saturation. You can research if not the stream, then the watershed of just about anywhere. Satalite images, topomaps, heck the PAFBC even tells you if there are native trout in the stream!

I personally have never read a stream report and hit a stream as a direct result.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 15:21

From Greensburg, PA
I didn't attack anything...I merely pointed out that you already know why they do it and you said it your self. It was no way meant in any mean or demeaning way. If anything I was substantiating your comment. You need to lighten up, man.

If anything was useless it was asking a question that you already know the answer to. I wouldn't even bother to mention that but you seem to be all agitated by YOUR attacking my post. I amde no such attack on yours.

But you are right...they only say I caught X number of fish because they want other readers to be impressed by it. The sad part is that those who make such posts may never have a fishing day like that again because others are likely to catch those fish before they are able to return and have another day like that.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 15:25

From South West FL
My "answer" was more of a hypothesis. I can't begin to imagine why or pretend to know why "they" do what they do and I gave up trying to figure out why most say what they say a looong time ago. I technically wasn't answering any questions just taking a stab at some reasoning. I dont know the answer to this topic anymore than anyone else. It doesnt make sense, and that I do know. As for that, Im glad you agree.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 15:40

From Monessen, PA
I'm gonna offer a possible explanation: people like to share their joy. To be sure sometimes it is bragging. I consider it likely to be bragging when people say how great a day they had and DON'T name the stream. What good can that do except stroke their own ego?

Did you ever have anyone say: "You've got to hear this new album I bought." Or how about: "You have to try this cantalope, it is great." Then they will force you to listen to the music or force you to taste the cantalope. It can be a little irritating, but they aren't bragging. They are trying to share their joy in the hope that you will experience it just as joyfully.

Now, if I am right at all about the motivation of some people who share information about their successful fishing trips, can that really be something you want to condemn? Are the people who would rather horde their joy on such a higher moral ground?

Posted on: 2007/4/16 15:53

From South West FL
Im sure some of the intent is as you say and im sure that some more is bragging. I have never understood this and I never will. When i drop my clients off at the end of the day and am taking my boat out of the water I am always recognized as a Captain. I then get hoards of questions about where to find bait and what kind of day I had. If I answered honeslty I would be out of places to fish, and my clients wouldnt share in that so called joy.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 16:05

From Monessen, PA
I think you prove my point. The only reason to be tight-lipped is out of self-interest. You have an excuse because your financial means depends upon it. What excuse does the casual angler have?

Posted on: 2007/4/16 16:10

From lancaster county
CA is not far off base guys. i have been guilty of what he talks about, but i dont see how not releasing numbers and size of fish is selfish.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 16:26

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com