Estimating Water Depth

M

mario66pens

The ladyfriend is starting to get into FF, I was explaining the relationship between strike indicator and water depth, when she asked me "how do I get a good guess on how deep the water is when you can't see the bottom?" I wasn't too sure how to answer that (I didn't want to tell her it was a sixth sense) Any ideas??

Thanks. Brian

Probably too deep. Move to areas where fish are feeding.

Just my opinion.

With many reasons for not being able to see the bottom the sixth sense you speak of comes with experience dunking flies, which you definitely already have, but like you say tough to convey.When I can't see the bottom of the stream I figure 2- 3 feet above the nymph to start, if I'm not catching the bottom, I adjust weight and distance until I start ticking bottom. Sometimes you just can't get there with an indy depending on depth and current speed.

You can drift the area without an indicator and see how long it takes to get your nymph to the bottom, then place the indicator.

You can drift the area without an indicator and see how long it takes to get your nymph to the bottom, then place the indicator.

If my guess at depth and adjustments don't get me in the zone, I do as Jack suggested and remove the indicator for a drift to get a true sense of depth. If you hang up, move your rod tip so that it is directly above the fly so the leader is perfectly vertical and you know exactly how deep the water is.

I just step out into the run and measure the high mark on my waders. Have I mentioned fishing has been really slow for me for a while now :hammer:

Geuss and make adjustments to your indicator position and amount of split shot until you get things running the way you want.

A wading staff!
It can be even more deceiving when wading a clear stream. Because of the many properties of water, fraction, and reflection, the streambed can look closer to you then it actually is, and appears shallow in places where the streambed is dropping away from you. In short it is very deceiving when wading in eddies. I don't now if that explains it enough, but that's what I see.

I would try to explain that in clear water usually the bluer the water the deeper it tends to be. If the water is slightly stained not to underestimate it's depth proceed with extreme caution. And water that is deeply stained it maybe best to stay away even in familiar waterways.

It is more of a trained behavior than a 6th sense that guides you to understand water depth. Some people go through multiple soakings before they understand this. And even then, we will still challenge ourselves and our surroundings from time to time by standing on our tip -e- toes to get to a location.

Polorized glasses really make a difference in what you see and percieve.

You can drift the area without an indicator and see how long it takes to get your nymph to the bottom, then place the indicator

I usually don't nymph with an indicator(or I'll use my leader as one), but thats not the best way to start. For example, on a run in a limestoner when you have the green tint and the surface choppiness, I can look at it usually and pretty accurately gauge the depth to start. Is that just all experience?

Thanks for all the responses.

mario66pens wrote:
You can drift the area without an indicator and see how long it takes to get your nymph to the bottom, then place the indicator

I usually don't nymph with an indicator(or I'll use my leader as one), but thats not the best way to start. ...

I don't get this. The best way to reach the right depth or variable depth is to not use an indicator, but you are training someone else to use one? Sorry, but that makes little sense to me.

So sorry, my wording carried on from the wading stick topic and safety. For my presentation with a nypmh and dry fly dropper, I guesstemate the depth pretty well. It seams to always work best when I over estimate - giving the nymph more bottom ticking.

This might be an answer. GG

Attachments

• depth finder.jpg
    depth finder.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 3
I'm not sure how it's not clear, it's easier to learn to detect strikes with indicator than without, that's why I'm starting her with an indicator

But is it easier to GET strikes? Is that why you don't use one? Why not make it easy on yourself to detect strikes by using one? And, for a final question, don't you still miss a bunch of strikes without an indicator, even in light of your advanced skill levels?

JackM wrote:
....don't you still miss a bunch of strikes without an indicator, even in light of your advanced skill levels?

Use the Force Jack....Your strike indicators can deceive you. Don't trust them. Stretch out with your feelings! ;-)

But is it easier to GET strikes? Is that why you don't use one? Why not make it easy on yourself to detect strikes by using one? And, for a final question, don't you still miss a bunch of strikes without an indicator, even in light of your advanced skill levels?

I don't use one because it was the way I learned, my granddad thought that "bobbers" were for bank napping bait fisherman. I use where the line enters the water as my indicator, I have a system that works for me and I'm perfectly happy with it. I believe when nymphing in general you miss a good many strikes, its just the game. So yes I do miss a good many strikes, but I also am able to detect a good many.

I've been FF for about 10 years and every time I go out on the water, I'm humbled by how much I don't know. It's easy to feel like a beginner all the time in fly fishing (thats the beauty of it.) But, my girlfriend doesn't have any of the FF experience yet and that being that, I believe there would be less of a learning curve to learn to indicator nymph than not.

I'm just used to seeing water and thinking "that's 3 ft deep," and I was unable to explain how I knew that.

Well, finding the right drift without an indicator is a matter of experience, I think, but I thought your question was how to explain it. Since your experience in finding the right depth comes from going without a bobber/indicator, I would try to teach that to her. Anyhow, interesting thoughts, is all.

Sometimes when the water is a: extremely deep or b: the trout are real spooky, I don't use an indicator. Even a suttle fly coming in, sometimes spooks them. (maybe its the double pop) When either of these two conditions are present, I keep the line as slackfree as possible. And keep the rod tip following as close to the waterline as possible.

I will miss probably the majority of strikes, because it takes a second or so for the strike to travel up the line and by that time the trout can sense somethings wrong and spit the nymph back out before I can set the hook. (usually when my hands are cold it's best to use an indicator and wait for it to drop).

Still for someone who is just starting out, it's best to match the hatch sort of speaking. If she is being coached with an indicator, your set up should be the same while you are coaching. Even using the same flyrods maybe important - When I started teaching my girlfriend how to flyfish we had different rods. When I hooked a fish and handed her the rod - she felt how light and powerful it was (forget the fish) I had to purchase the same one for her.

If she is being coached with an indicator, your set up should be the same while you are coaching.

Thanks Jack and Pennypack, I shouldve consider that, I'll put it into practice tomorrow on spring.

Back