Dumb move of the day

pro4mance

pro4mance

Had a couple of hours available to go fish this morning. Got to the stream and checked it out, go back to the car to get geared up and realized my vest is in the garage. OOPS

OUCH! That's happened to me once but I was only 10min from home. I fear of it happening again but when I'm farther.

I've driven an hour, only to find I forgot my wading boots. Now, EVERYTHING goes in the car the night before.

The kicker was my son had a hockey tryout at noon, so went to that only to see that it was my son and a goalie. Great turnout. They had the two of them skate and hang around for the peewee tryout so they could work with them. Turns out they asked both boys to be on the team if they want which is an 02 birth year team, they are both 03 birth years. Not sure if he'll do it but it will be his decision.

Lets hear other dumb moves of the day from everyone else.

At different times I've forgotten - wading bootsl waders, reel, flies, line tray....

Only without the reel did I not fish. I did consider going to a local store and buying one spooled but nixed it.

That was the longest two hour drive home...

Now I have a list and everything goes in a crate the night before. I'm superstitious and NEVER pack the car the night before as I either get busted by the weather or the fish if I did.

Drove an hour one way got geared up only to find out my license was at home ???

The only thing I've forgotten is my license, but I've done that multiple times over the years. Mainly because I switch types of vests from small streams to bigger water and it doesn't get moved.
I've only ran into an officer once in over thirty years of fishing, and he stood behind me for a while and watched me catch bass on a little stream in Maryland. I realized he was there I said hey how ya doing? He said doing well, looks like you're having fun have a good day and left. Never asked to see my license or anything else. I figure I'm due to see one here soon so I go back and get it when I do. Have not done it in a long time. :-D

i bought one of those clear plastic license holders that clips to my hat. that way i always have it.

Got back to my house and realized I left my rod leaning up against a tree in the parking lot. Thankfully I was only about 2 miles away from the stream, but I still felt pretty stupid on that drive back.

Getting into the habit of ALWAYS breaking down your rod, casing it and putting it in your vehicle first thing when you return to your vehicle is the best move. This basically does away with the "forgotten rod" syndrome and also saves a lot of broken rods. You will never be sorry that you took the time to do that first, but the flip side of it can ruin a great day of fishing.

Fished in a tourney a couple years back, when I got to the stream I realized the rod was left at the house.

regarding the forgotten license thing, I do believe I read they give you a grace period now, something like 24 hours to prove you have one or something like that.
BUT, that could have changed like the weather!

Arrived in Pulaski on the SR years ago after driving 4.5 hrs to get there and discovered that I left my vest at home with a lot of essential gear in it.I put a smile on the tackle shops owner that day,still have the spare vest,,,anyone want to buy it?

4 years ago I drove 2 hours to the little J. No fly reel. Ooooff!

Always keep a backup of everything essential in your trunk. If you have more than one conveyance, put the backups in a bin. You will never forget your primary equipment if you always make sure your backups are along for the ride.

I forgot my vest once when I went to fish yellow breeches. I live north of Pittsburgh. I didn't get much fishing in that day.

Drove three hours to the base camp with a friend who was gonna hike me up to some "secret" lakes. Slept on frosty ground...got up at down and then a 2 hour hike with backpacks and tents and two days food. straight up from 6800 to about 8500 feet. got there, strung up, HE FORGOT HIS REEL! Luckily I had packed an ultralight spinning reel in my backpack. He fished dries with a casting bubble for 2 days. I can only imaging the immediate reaction when he realized he had no reel after a trek like that.

Ive been there in all cases. It sucks

Once drove a couple of hours to my home waters and put on my waders which suddenly seemed small enough to be my wife's. Oh yeah, they were my 5'4" wife's waders. I'm 6'1", but no good fisherman would let a little (or a lot) discomfort stop him from trout hunting. I wore them for several hours and it became pretty clear that I could have saved the money for my earlier vasectomy.

Tom, for a trip like that I'd definitely definitely take two full set ups.

I have a friend who drove for 5hrs from VT down to Chatham on Cape Cod, took the 8am Monomoy Ferry down to the rips, jumped off the boat, hiked down to where rip makes landfall. First cast, breaks his rod. The return ferry was 4pm. No one had a spare rod.

Now we make sure that least two buddies in the group bring a spare outfit.

Back