Do You Fish With Your Spouse

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

There was an interesting article in the Fall Edition of the Trout Unlimited magazine discussing the best ways to fish with your spouse. I for one would never want to start fishing with my wife as IMHO there are things I want to do alone. She is a "quilter" and has never expressed a desire to fish with me. She has conveyed to me many fond memories of fishing with her Dad in the Pine Barrens when she was young so I know she is not adverse to the sport. That having been said we golf together several times a year and we love doing this together especially when we are a twosome and have the course to ourselves. Is this a contradiction? Fish no Golf OK? It is just something about the solitude I get when I fish. Very little talking to anyone, listening to the rhythm of the stream and the wonderful music made by the songbirds along stream banks. This is "my time". My "down" time. Thoughts?

No, but I would. I have no problem with, and actually would enjoy fishing with my wife. I have tried, and she will never do it. So I'm on my own.

Nope…she has no interest. One of my daughters loves to fish though.

This thread is against single people. Such prejudice should not be tolerated. :p

When I was married, she'd hang out / tan / read when I went fishing. The girlfriend I had prior to that was really into it. After taking her a few times, she bought her own gear and usually was the one that wanted to go fishing. Hell, she even got a vanity plate "9ft-5wt". I'll also guess that she'd outfish most of us. Lol.

NO!

When I was a golf addict I took the better half golfing once on vacation .... and once only!

My wife fishes maybe once a year with me at a private lake. She's caught a few fish on the fly but it in no way interests her. The first item on my daughters Christmas list this year is a fishing pole. We're getting there.

NO! showed her how to cast, she did well, Spent $500.00 on equiupment, took her one time. Results, afraid of the water, slipping, you name it. Out 500. bucks.Now if we go away; she shops i fly fish.

Having started this I must report my wife does like shopping in the Downingtown Orvis store. She likes the woman's clothes :roll:

I have. But she doesn't fish anymore. She took the class at PSU, got the equipment, and went once or twice, but didn't keep up with it.

She enjoyed herself, but in a mildly amused sort of way, not a "this is something I HAVE to do more of" sort of way. I think I'm too passionate about it for her. She seems to enjoy just about anything, but doesn't want to "get into" anything. I think FF is something you have to kind of really get into to be successful. She wants to do things, but only things that you can decide to do once in a while on a whim and still get full enjoyment.

yep, my girlfriend and I get out on the stream just enough, always a good time. Then again, we enjoy plenty of active pursuits together, lots of bike rides, plenty of skiing, hiking. She's into it and enjoys it and gives me a chance to fish from a different perspective where it's not 100% about me. Instead I get to share some of what I've learned over the years and seeing her progress is fulfilling in its own way. Our only real gear outlay was for her waders and boots, I pretty much had extra of everything else for her, so the entrance hurdle was pretty low for us. I still get plenty of quiet time on my own on the water during the week and she understands when I need to take a full day on my own, just as she does herself with her hobbies. It's a pretty sweet balance we've found.

I have fished with my wife, but that all stopped when I got married, and yes, I am still talking about fishing.

OK, I take that back. I now remember fishing with her twice since getting married. We had a good time. I tried to teach her how to golf on a few occasions but that didn't go so well.

Some day I will build her a bamboo fly rod and teach her how. Already have the blank.

"NO! showed her how to cast, she did well, Spent $500.00 on equiupment, took her one time. Results, afraid of the water, slipping, you name it. Out 500. bucks.Now if we go away; she shops i fly fish. "

Hope you got a different setup than what you already had.

We fish together a couple times a year and I go by myself any free chance I can get. My wife actually got me back in to it after I gave up the fly rod for many years. I don't know if she realized the monster she created!

When we were dating, yes. ( even have the pic to prove it )
Now that we're married no, no longer interested.

I kept the rod an reel. Waders are small, boots size 5 womens. Chest pack, all other stuff ;confiscated. Got her a metal detector, she likes it But i do the digging. maybe the wadders and boots i'll keep for my grandaughter.

yes, And we go about once week till the chill. I even need to replace her waders this spring. Hard to scope out new spots as she likes to be close to the car and not alone. She will wade out far too. She has been up to her waist in the tail waters of Allegheny River.

No, never have, and after 30 years it's unlikely I will :)

Maybe 25 years ago she took fly tying classes with me, my plan being she would tie flies and I would fish them. That never worked out.

Now after 10+ years with my camper/cabin at Hemlock Acres, she still hasn't been there and doesn't know where it is.

But that's how we roll.....

Well, my wife shops while I fish, however... During Spring, early summer when a huge grannom/Sulfur/ or drake hatch is happening, then she will fish. I don't like to admit it, but she caught more fish than I did trying to be all technical fishing the sulfur hatch on the Little J with dries, while she caught fish after fish on a pheasant tail! So other than the big hatch, she's shoppin .

Yes , we met in Montana during a fly fishing seminar, fishing trip. She usualy out fishes me.

Back