Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 18 »

Re: Do you consider it ethical to advertise small streams?

From lancaster county
Quote:
Like you said "to share the joy" thats what fly fishing means to me.

Best thing said in this thread, hands down. Though I liked Jacks #55 post. I hope PAFF stays that way too.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 1:09

From Hummelstown
When I say advertise I mean discussions with other fly fishermen, Not waring a shirt that has a map and arrow that says "fish here"

Posted on: 2010/9/25 19:45

From Montgomery County
No, but as noted above a lot depends on the stream, circumstances and who you're sharing it with.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 19:56

From Hummelstown
Yeah I would agree with that. I guess the answer of this is just one big gray area because, like you said, it all depends on the stream and who your sharing with..

Posted on: 2010/9/25 21:11

From lancaster county
This is my final thoughts and I think it expresses exactly how i feel about the situation. I dont care if you agree or disagree, its how I feel about it........end of story. So call me names or be insulting/insultive......it no longer matters.

Tonight I had a friend from work come over to the house and we took my baby to the Ephrata fair. I live in Ephrata and he wanted to go, even though i been there 5 times this week with her, I thought it would be fun.

We went to the fair and she was enamored by all that was going on as always. Smiling at the people with microphones hoping you will play their games, or catching someones eye and laughing at them hoping they would come over to play with her. It is obvious most younger women just love her and if i was single........well you know where that is going.

My kid is a complete ham. She just shows off everything she has learned in the past 10 months to new people. She just loves people and you can see the innocence and complete love she has for people.

When we got home, she was changing the TV input so the program was nothing but static with the remote. Then she would hand me the remote to fix the problem. Then demand it back and do it again. She was nothing but all smiles with my friend and played with him the entire 8 hours he was here. She would tell him what the puppy says, what the cow says, wear his hat........she just loved him to death. It was obvious she was showing off to him. She not once cried or complained, she was just happy to enjoy our company.

I picture me and my daughter doing stream restorations and going fishing together. Even if she never takes to trout fishing thats ok because she is my entire world but I think she is just going to be happy to do what daddy loves with him.

I want to share all my joy I have found in this sport and passion I have with flyfishing for wild trout. I like to think when I "spot burn" a location or I share my joy or I express my passion through a post or even if I brag about how wonderful a place is (whatever you want to call it), that someone just like me is reading it. Waiting to take his number one girl out there and show her just how wonderful the world can be....even in something so small.

Keep your secrets I dont need them or maybe I do. Take them to the grave if you must, but at what cost? Because your secret just might be the one that brings a small piece of your love into my daughters life and makes her understand it all. Maybe it brings her peace when she is down or she is stressed.

I dont care what Jay, Collin or the majority think. We all get our information from somewhere......im not going to let your negativity into her life, life is too short to fight over something we all should be cherishing and sharing.

I hope my posts in the past have brought someone a smile or a place to find peace. If it has destroyed any ones "special place" I apologize. Unlike some people, I see the world for what it could be and not what it is most times. That is my flaw.

What I wont apologize for is trying to share that innocence like my daughter has with the mass so maybe they can feel it also.

That how I feel. End of story.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 21:42

I should be able to share what I know with who ever. I guess it's my constitutional right. I shared just some basic fishing knowledge only to find out the guy was using bait in a trophy trout area. He didn't know he was doing anything wrong but he can read and did not bother to totally understand the law. Sharing has it's responsibilities.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 22:12

From Bozeman
I think many are confusing the joy gained by "sharing" and the joy gained by "writing it in the sky", as osprey said.

You can share without telling the world. Seems like most agree that's how it should be.

Thanks for your thoughts, all.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 20:04

I think streams should be known by all

Posted on: 2010/9/26 21:19

From Hummelstown
Quote:
Keep your secrets I dont need them or maybe I do. Take them to the grave if you must, but at what cost? Because your secret just might be the one that brings a small piece of your love into my daughters life and makes her understand it all

salvelinusfontinalis

I couldn't have thought or wrote a better way to put it. To me, joy isn't, nor can it be measured as quantitative data, or simplified to an equation, but joy in my eyes is a life we'll spent. I'm well aware im only 16, hell I don't even have my license. I know how little of this magnificent world I've seen. I've seen death on an all to personal level, losing an all too close friend only 3 years my senior. 19 years old. 19.. years.. old.. However, I know for a fact I refuse to leave this planet only seeing down high street for however long God or whomever is in charge leaves me here. I want to clarify I in no way putting down or criticizing ones choices in this ever so gray subject. I Just know i couldn't live a life knowing that I, Me, Josh Santeusanio, could change the way someone looks at things. I think I speak for all of us when I say we've all been in a situation where we think that we totally are in control, that we understand "this", that we are sure about something. Then someone say, or does, or shows you something so simple, but radical in comparison to your ideas or ways you think "how could I be so stupid!?" A simple stream, a simple fly, a simple life. Fly fishing has saved me from so many sticky situation its almost comical. How? Its so much more than casting a fly or catching fish. Fly fishing amalgamated me to a new set of morals and ideas. I absolutely understand the importance of keeping a natural habitat natural. However, question yourself, is keeping a stream a little more native, a little more quiet, more important than, like salvelinusfontinalis hinted towards, giving someone the chance to understand "it". Do I know what it is? No. I beleive it varies from person to person, who am I to tell you what it is. finally if your with me this far I thank you and would like to leave you with a simple Dave Mathews quote. Its from his song Seek Up; "Oh look at me in my fancy car and my bank account. Oh, how I wish I could take it all down into my grave, God knows I'd save and save".

Just a little query to ponder.
Goodnight everyone,
Jay

Posted on: 2010/9/26 21:37

From Pittsburgh
And I think many of you are confusing ethics with desire.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 23:56

From Monessen, PA
When all else is balanced out, doesn't it really come down to this:

What is more "weighty" to you--

1. Preserving the illusion of secrecy for a few anglers who have found a location they can always or usually find abandoned;

2. Opening up a stream to one or several anglers as an option to fish when they hit the water?

Posted on: 2010/9/27 6:00

From Chester County
In large measure, the reason I fly-fish is to get away from it all. I live close to the City and I fly-fish to get away from the traffic, dealing with people, and looking for a parking spot. Dodging anglers to find a place to fish is counter to the whole reason I’m out there in the first place. When I find a little out-of-the-way stream or fishing spot that I really enjoy fishing and few other anglers fish, I wouldn’t think of broadcasting it. I suppose if the stream were in a rural area with many streams to fish, it have little impact, but in a densely populated like where I live, with very few “out-of -the-way” places to begin with, broadcasting a particular spot on a stream would not be wise, IMO. I would share the spot with a few friends that are like-minded, but not with the “unwashed masses”…LOL, as Mr. Krachen often speaks of in his posts.

There are hundreds of streams and thousands of fishing spots that are fairly well known and are discussed on the site, which is great because the “where to” aspect of FFing is just as important and interesting as the “how to.”

Many of the smaller wild trout streams, which are mostly on private property and where one angler is more than enough to cover the entire stream in short order, should be left to those that spend some time to discover them. I would guess I bat about .200 in finding a decent stream and .100 in finding a real gem. In other words I spend a lot of time searching and only 1 out of 5 streams I fish offer decent fishing or access, while maybe 1 out of 10 is really a great stream. Many people today want to bat 1.000, (where’s “the Kid” with his easy button when you need him) while to me, spending time at the plate and hitting foul balls or striking out makes the home run trot all that much more satisfying when it happens.

To sum up my thoughts, if one seeks solitude, one chooses silence…......at least this “one.”

Posted on: 2010/9/27 7:38

From Gettysburg
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
There are hundreds of streams and thousands of fishing spots that are fairly well known and are discussed on the site, which is great because the “where to” aspect of FFing is just as important and interesting as the “how to.”

Many of the smaller wild trout streams, which are mostly on private property and where one angler is more than enough to cover the entire stream in short order, should be left to those that spend some time to discover them. I would guess I bat about .200 in finding a decent stream and .100 in finding a real gem. In other words I spend a lot of time searching and only 1 out of 5 streams I fish offer decent fishing or access, while maybe 1 out of 10 is really a great stream. Many people today want to bat 1.000, (where’s “the Kid” with his easy button when you need him) while to me, spending time at the plate and hitting foul balls or striking out makes the home run trot all that much more satisfying when it happens.

To sum up my thoughts, if one seeks solitude, one chooses silence…......at least this “one.”

Well said Afish - very much my thoughts as well.
As I've often said, I'm middle of the road on this and see no harm in advertising/broadcasting about famous streams but personally find it somewhat poor form to "name" small relatively unknown waterways. Obviously, the poster must decide on a case by case basis what constitutes a well known stream vs an unknown one. Sometimes I think if a creek has a special reg section, that tends to make it more "safe" to name than a stream lacking sp regs. I'll also admit that my views on this matter have moderated a bit since I joined PAFF and followed this debate over the last four years. In particular, Jack has swayed me with his well crafted arguments in favor of disclosure and I'm more tolerant now when I see reports naming small, unknown streams. However, I rarely do this myself.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 7:51

From Chester County
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

Well said Afish - very much my thoughts as well.
As I've often said, I'm middle of the road on this and see no harm in advertising/broadcasting about famous streams but personally find it somewhat poor form to "name" small relatively unknown waterways. Obviously, the poster must decide on a case by case basis what constitutes a well known stream vs an unknown one. Sometimes I think if a creek has a special reg section, that tends to make it more "safe" to name than a stream lacking sp regs. I'll also admit that my views on this matter have moderated a bit since I joined PAFF and followed this debate over the last four years. In particular, Jack has swayed me with his well crafted arguments in favor of disclosure and I'm more tolerant now when I see reports naming small, unknown streams. However, I rarely do this myself.

Jack is certainly a wordsmith, but I remain a little suspicious of him because, while he often writes about sharing and it's virtues, I've never actually recall him sharing any of his spots. I think he pumps people for their honey holes but never gives back anything in return.

It a lot like the guy that's always there at the bar for every drink, but can never be found every time it's his turn to pay for a round!

Posted on: 2010/9/27 8:23

From Bozeman
When it comes to fishing, I see ethics and sportsmanship to be very similar. Would you guys be opposed to calling broadcasting unsportsmanlike?

The way I see it, posting about small streams is just the same as fishing 75 degree streams, crowding other anglers, or fishing during the spawn. It's something that the community can and should discourage. I don't agree with any formal rules against it, but I commend the community for enforcing good, ethical sportsmanship.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 9:29

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 18 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
57 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com