Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: do you carry bear spray?

wnep.com/2012/11/27/did-bear-attack-kill-clinton-county-man

A debated issue between the coroner's office, the state police, and the game commission.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 21:05

An interesting fact about the monster bears that live on the Pocono plateau is that most of them get huge compared to the rest of the state because of the swamps. However, there is a ton of feeding from, well, for lack of a better word, yuppies, in these areas.

The PGC traps these bears and often relocates them to Sullivan and I think upper Luzerne, Wyoming counties, at the beginning of the huge expanse of state forests. Well, these bears are coming back to their homeland, and actually crossing the Susquehanna back, lol. Guess they like the donuts and bird seed to much to eek out a living on cherry, beech, and oak of the mountains.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 21:14

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
What!? I don't like those odds. That's more black bear attacks than I would have thought. Dang it! I better arm up when I"m in the Smokey's this Fall. What's up w/ Canadian black bear attacks, also...bears breaking into houses and cabins to attack people? Dang.

People being careless. Always make some noise in the woods, and if things suddenly get quiet, make more noise. Whistle and if you can't, carry one.

Good advice, but even better advice would be that if you are from the city and are afraid of bears, stay in the city and just watch it on TV.

I like to walk in the woods is for the peace and quiet and to see wildlife. If I am making a lot of noise, how much wildlife would I expect to see?

Just sayin...

People suck, animals do not, ...at least not until they are influenced by sucky people.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 9:36

From Lambertville
This morning on CNN there's a story on bear attacks during just the past week:

WHEN BEARS ATTACK: 7 people mauled

Posted on: 2013/8/19 9:58

From NE OH
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
People suck, animals do not, ...at least not until they are influenced by sucky people.

Your best quote EVER!

Posted on: 2013/8/19 12:53

From Monessen, PA
Actually, bears and animals do suck when they harm humans. Most people know this unless they think humans deserve to be harmed because...well... because they think people suck.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 13:30

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
That list of largest black bears is largest skulls. When I taught HS, I had a student who shot a 816 pounder, and it was the 3rd largest in PA that year. A worldwide top 20 list which goes down to 604 lbs is either highly flawed or is measuring something else. In this case, skull size, not animal weight.

On another note, agree with FD. People suck. Animals do not. I do not find the OP's encounter that alarming. Bear ran away and in no way threatened. Have had several such encounters myself, and my reaction is to be thrilled, not scared.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 14:04

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I like gills, grew up catching plenty. Stillwater just doesn't do it for me. But I understand those who do enjoy it.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 14:07

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
That list of largest black bears is largest skulls. When I taught HS, I had a student who shot a 816 pounder, and it was the 3rd largest in PA that year. A worldwide top 20 list which goes down to 604 lbs is either highly flawed or is measuring something else. In this case, skull size, not animal weight.

That may all be true, but when I was a kid, if someone claimed to have shot an 800 lb black bear, I would have laughed at them. Especially in PA. It was unheard of. 400+ lbs was large. 500+lbs was big news.

These 800 lb plus bear that we read about now have likely had significant human contact, and likely are landfill bear. Truly wild bear simply do not get that big. At least not in PA.

I have no desire to hunt bear, especially at a landfill or near a dumpster. However, those bear are the ones that end up being the problem bears, so other people shooting them are likely doing us all a favor. I do however reserve the right to laugh at these hunters for their major sporting accomplishment.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 15:08

From LV
Not in PA.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 17:20

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Only in cities !!!

Posted on: 2013/8/19 17:42

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Boone and Crocket uses skull size as the world record metric, sure. Even if you use weight, we have some of the largest bears in the world.

Our bears are holding their own against the biggest bears in Quebec, Ontario, and North Carolina, places know for the biggest bears that allow baiting and the running of dogs. In Ontario and Quebec, they feed bears out of 55 gallon drums for months. We have fair chase animals that are truly genetic masterpieces.

Your student's bear at 816 was one of the heaviest bears taken in the world, ever, if it really was 816. I think that year may have been 2005.

The world record bear weight is from North Carolina, weighed 880 pounds, and was eating hogs as far as I know that were buried.

Bozo, the bear from Pike County,Pa that was shot with the X-box, was eating donuts, and he was 875lbs.

So those two give a great glimpse into two places that have great genetics and had abnormal feeding habits to reach max weights.

Pa just has big bears, the past 10 years have been amazing, especially considering we are a fair chase, no bait, no dog state.

According to preliminary reports, the top 10 legal bears processed at check stations for the two bear seasons all had actual or estimated live weights that exceeded 615 pounds, and 37 bears weighing 500 pounds or more were legally harvested.

David Price, of Cresco, Monroe County, harvested the largest bear taken during all bear seasons, which he took using a bow and arrow. The male bear weighing an estimated 875 pounds was taken in WMU 3D, Monroe County, Middle Smithfield Township, at 3:30 p.m. on Nov. 15.

According to preliminary reports, 81 bears weighing 500 pounds or more were legally harvested during the three seasons. The top 10 bears processed at check stations all had estimated live weights that exceeded 678 pounds.

Joseph C. Colyer, of Pocono Lake, harvested the largest bear, a male that weighed 767 pounds (estimated live weight). The bear was taken in Tobyhanna, Monroe County, at 6:50 a.m. on Nov. 16, with a crossbow during the archery bear season.

Other large bears (all estimated live weights) included: a 746-pound male, taken by Jonathan E. Byler, of Ulysses, in Ulysses, Potter County, on Nov. 19; a 734-pound male, taken by Steven Camasta, of Lakeview, in Salem Township, Wayne County, on Nov. 19 and a 733-pound male, taken by John J. Hennick, of Cambria, in Bell Township, Clearfield County, on Nov. 19.

According to final reports, 45 bears weighing 500 pounds or more were legally harvested during the four seasons, and 5 bears surpassed the 600 pound mark. The top 10 bears processed at check stations all had estimated live weights that exceeded 561 pounds. Joseph A. Spano, of East Stoudsburg, has harvested the largest bear so far this season. Taken Nov. 21, in Middle Smithfield Township, Monroe County, the male bear weighed an actual live weight of 709 pounds.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 23:39

From Eastern PA
Lol, black bears.

Lol.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 2:24

These bears over 500 pounds are in the size range of interior Western Griz. Alaskan coastal and Kodiak bears would be much bigger. The attitude difference is large on Griz vs black, but you start feeding black bears into 600, 700 pound range, and you get some very hair raising experiences from bears who lose their fear of humans.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 6:33

From Somerset P.A.
I'm more afraid of snakes actually. Nothing worse than walking up to a good spot and seeing any kind of snake there, makes me fish looking over my shoulder at the bank every two minutes.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 6:44

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com