HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: DeLorme PA Atlas & Gazetteer

From florida
Quote:

CLSports wrote:
Does anyone have the NJ or FL versions of the Gazetteer?

I was wondering if anyone finds it useful for locating good beach/inland waterway fishing locations?

I have a "Hot Spots" map for Charlotte Harbor, FL and it is very nice, but I was wondering if the Gazetteer has equal useful information.

In Florida the best info is on a chart of the area.Newer GPS units show depths as well as coordinates.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 16:54

From Lancaster County
I have had three or so Delorme gazetteers, and two have worn out sufficiently enough to not be useable - cover has the plastic peeling off and pages are curled and ripped. My brother undertook a project with one of his to use colored pencils to map out all the PFBC data for Class A, Wild, and ATW. I had wanted to do the same, but didn't have the patience for it, but had an idea about a year ago that has finally come to fruition for me in the past few weeks, where I worked out the idiosyncracies of paring down datasets. Essentially, there is a wealth of electronic data available for PA, and with the right software, it's possible to make your own maps of anywhere in the state - kind of cool looking at every HQ or EV water in the state. Delorme is still good for in the vehicle, since I don't drag a laptop around while fishing, but for armchair prospecting, without having to go to the colored pencils, using the available electronic data is the way to go, IMHO.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 20:40

From Richfield, PA
The only one I've seen is the 10th edition that I bought last year. I wish you'd have poster this earlier about the differances.

But this is the only edition I'm familier with so I guess I don't know any better.

I didn't like the other one that broke the state into two sections cause then I'd need both of them for the whole dang state.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 20:52
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I just ordered my 9th Edition Delorme on Amazon for $9 including shipping. Hopefully it will be in before our meeting at Primanti Bro's next Saturday!

Posted on: 2010/1/13 11:45

Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
I just ordered my 9th Edition Delorme on Amazon for $9 including shipping. Hopefully it will be in before our meeting at Primanti Bro's next Saturday!

I bought a copy of the 9th Edition at a local used bookstore for $8 + tax. And it is NICE! Very good maps.

I'll have to get a plastic cover, so it lasts awhile. I've worn out several DeLorme's already. They do start getting ragged and falling apart after awhile with heavy use.

The Tenth Edition is a complete train-wreck. I'm shocked they messed it up so bad.

DeLorme should just re-issue the Ninth Edition. They could call it DeLorme PA Atlas & Gazetteer "Classic!"

Posted on: 2010/1/13 12:30

There's still a few more on Amazon for the same price. I'm sure they'll be snatched up by boardmembers here pretty soon. lol

Posted on: 2010/1/13 12:44

i have an elleventh edition , it is a very very valuable tool to find fish , especially big ones

Posted on: 2010/1/13 18:11

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Ryguy,

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered mine.

Only 24 new 9th editions left. I was considering ordering the whole lot then price gouging you guys at the jam.

edit: If someone shows up at the jam with 24 copies, I want a 10% cut.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 18:26

From Pittsburgh
I just ordered one from amazon also. Cheapest I could find - for a new one - was $7.85 + $3.99 shipping. Still a pretty good deal.
My old one is about 5 years old, and getting a little ragged anyway
Thanks for the heads up Troutbert.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 18:37

From Lancaster County
Not to send this thread down a rabbit trail, but who actually buys the items that are grossly overpriced? Example is the last "New" 9th edition Gazetteer in the Amazon listing, which costs:

$145.81
+ $3.99shipping

I see stuff listed on Ebay like that from time to time - five to ten times the street price. What possesses sellers to list stuff at such hyperinflated prices? Does someone accidentally buy these items?

Posted on: 2010/1/13 21:18

From Bozeman
I've got an older one that never leaves the car.

Flybop,
I have used two dash GPS units, and both of them did well on back roads. The one even sent me down rupp hollow during the penns drakes, which I told you about. If it knew that bog of an old road, it knows them all. I think Maurice has the same model.

I currently have a different model that I have yet to take off road much. I will let you know.

I also got a waterproof handheld topo GPS unit for christmas, and will be messing with that extensively this year.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 22:04

From wellsboro
The problem with the dash units is they have every road that ever existed in many cases, including ones that are not safe for travel. I have seen several instances up here where old forestry roads, that are closed, showed up and someone got very stuck following the unit.

In addition to being stuck, the people had to explain why they were on a closed road and did not have the sense to stop when it turned to hell. The answer was I was following my gps unit and it showed this road coming out on another road.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 7:58

From New Castle, PA
Quote:
The problem with the dash units is they have every road that ever existed in many cases, including ones that are not safe for travel. I have seen several instances up here where old forestry roads, that are closed, showed up and someone got very stuck following the unit.

*cough* Bald Eagle State Forest *cough*

The unit says "turn here" and the road is nothing more than a walking path. At least some of the closed roads are blocked off in BESF. Ironically, the GPS often self-corrects to yet another closed road...

But on the flip side, the GPS units can make it really easy to find some out-of-the-way places.

Kev

Posted on: 2010/1/14 8:14

Quote:

PennKev wrote:
Quote:

*cough* Bald Eagle State Forest *cough*

The unit says "turn here" and the road is nothing more than a walking path. At least some of the closed roads are blocked off in BESF. Ironically, the GPS often self-corrects to yet another closed road...

Kev

"The map is not the landscape."

That's an old cartography saying, and it's true.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 8:39

Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
Not to send this thread down a rabbit trail, but who actually buys the items that are grossly overpriced? Example is the last "New" 9th edition Gazetteer in the Amazon listing, which costs:

$145.81
+ $3.99shipping

I see stuff listed on Ebay like that from time to time - five to ten times the street price. What possesses sellers to list stuff at such hyperinflated prices? Does someone accidentally buy these items?

A lot of times those items that are grossly overpriced are just advertisements for something else. They don't really have the product. Like for instance this may be an ad for a fishing trip, or a vacation to some remote place in PA and there's a link the their site. They use this as free advertising because it stays on the site a while for free because no one buys the overpriced product. I don't know if they are taken off eventually by the website, but I've seen many of these on Ebay.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 10:09

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com