tl;dr: "i don't nymph"

No pop, no style.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 21:58

Re: Competitive Fly-fishing

From Eastern PA
Quote:

jayL wrote:

You have short changed yourself there sir. That is the diatribe of one chemically altered man.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 22:00

From Bozeman
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

jayL wrote:

No pop, no style.

http://www.oreillymaker.com/link/38479/queens-english/

Posted on: 2011/1/24 22:02

From SEPA
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

jayL wrote:

You have short changed yourself there sir. That is the diatribe of one chemically altered man.

And yet, I'm not. Welcome to Wrongville, population you. And that other dude who was going on about me not knowing that I really do know everything I'll ever want to know about nothing.

However, I'm not sure where this bus is going, but it might be Chemical Road.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 22:02

From Bozeman
I live near chemical road.

I did read that one. But all those gentlemen need to know is what I told them.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 22:04

From Eastern PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

jayL wrote:

And yet, I'm not. Welcome to Wrongville, population you. And that other dude who was going on about me not knowing that I really do know everything I'll ever want to know about nothing.

However, I'm not sure where this bus is going, but it might be Chemical Road.

I think you are wrong and could clearly learn something from me.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 22:04

once again gfen danced arround the subject like a little school girl and posted a bunch of crap that means nothing and thinks everyone else is too stupid to know what it means. I think what gfen is saying is he goes out and sits on the bank until 7:30 pm the entire month of may waiting for a dimple on the surface so he knows exactly where the hungry trout is located !!!

Posted on: 2011/1/24 22:19

From SEPA
That would be boring, I just go out and enjoy what I enjoy. I generally have a good time.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 22:22

From Lehigh Valley
Crazy as it may sound, I actually understand gfen. When you get to know him, his posts actually make sense (yes, that scares me).

Bottom line, competition fly fishers follow the law, and are entitled to fish the way they choose - just like the rest of us. They don't tell anyone else how to fish, just like we don't have the right to tell them how to fish. For anyone interested in trying out the techniques they use, they are surprisingly willing to share what they've learned. If you care to listen, watch, or learn, it's your choice. They don't interfere with non-competition fishermen, despite what you may have heard or think. Many non-comp fishermen onstream are usually completely unaware there is a comp in progress - it's really low profile. If you weren't told there was a comp in progress, you'd probably never suspect there was. I've seen this firsthand.

Personally, I think competitive fly fishing is a good thing. The youth program is really top notch, and yes, I've been involved with it in the past. I also plan on being involved at some point in the future, if I can figure out a way to find the time to do so. I keep up with what's going on with the Team USA youth team, and will help in any way I can. I've witnessed how much the kids enjoy these comps, and I have to say they're a really good time! I was as skeptical as anyone prior to my involvement, but I've seen enough to convince me of the merits of these comps - especially for the kids. If it gets kids fishing, it's a good thing.

YMMV, as it obviously does.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 7:47

From Enola, Pa.
I picked #2, could have picked #1, I have no intrested in competitive fishing.

PaulG

Posted on: 2011/1/25 7:51

Since the water from all the prime trout streams in the U.S. could be contained in one large B.A.S.S target lake do we really want to introduce a similar mindset?

Posted on: 2011/1/25 7:57

From SEPA
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
Since the water from all the prime trout streams in the U.S. could be contained in one large B.A.S.S target lake do we really want to introduce a similar mindset?

Drift boats would look funny with 200HP outboards on the back.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 8:42

I have seen airboats on the Yellowstone-

Posted on: 2011/1/25 8:44

From pennsylvania
i think those of you that describe a great distaste for competitive fishing should refuse to use the techniques that have become popularized by that very competition.
for example, don't euro nymph. don't use oversized foam terrestrials. for you bass fishermen - don't use a drop shot. for you eastern muskie fisherman - don't troll or cast shad lures. for you tarpon fishermen, don't use a toad fly. for you redfishermen - don't use a spoon fly. the list can go on and on.
all of these techniques were very regional and "secret techniques" until they were brought to the attention of "the masses" by those very competitions that you disdain. then they get published in the fishing media and the industry responds to the demand for specific equipment.
anybody that says that they were using 10-12 ft 4wt rods to fish weighted nymphs with no indicator before it was popularized by competitive angling is a liar.
me - i've fished many charity competitions. i love the sport and enjoy the comradery in the "get together". don't you?
at the jam, won't one of you get bragging rights from out fishing your bretheren? isn't that competitive angling?
my $.02

Posted on: 2011/1/25 8:46

From Pittsburgh
I got into comp fishing because I wanted to take my fishing to the next level. I wanted to meet the people who are innovaiting the techniques we all will eventually use. I wanted to interact with people from all over the world who share the same intrest as I do, The community is competitive sure but they are all guys who love and respect the resource.
I think when people think fishing tournament, they see guys with 40,000 dollar bass boats, who are screamin at the top of their lungs. Thats not how it is at all.
When Im not honeing my tournament techniques with the state of the art gear, I stick to the basics; a store bought tapered leader, a bamoo rod I fixed up myself, and a dryfly. See we have souls after all.
Its simply a different kind of experience, and because as a competitor I have nothing to gain other than a good experience it stays fun for everyone. If you havent already, Id reccoment trying it out. You will meet some really great people.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 9:05

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com