Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 »

Re: Competitive Fly-fishing

From Clinton County, Pa.
I think many of us here agree we don't want our sport to be "High Profile". Flyfishing has developed over centuries without the "benefit of competition". Imo it should stay that way.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 13:42

Yeah Pat-lets not talk reason here,this is pure sentiment

Posted on: 2011/2/1 13:44

From Eastern PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Quote:
Have you seen how absurd and foolish competitive Bass fishing has become?

Agreed, its silly. But by the same token, how many new lures and techniques were developed for it that are used by everyday bass fishermen? They make a real effort to promote stewardship. For instance they release all of their catch to promote C&R. They hold many of the tournaments on struggling or recovering fisheries to highlight their benefit to the citizens, for instance the recent tournaments on the 3 rivers of Pittsburgh. Such events are also high profile in the community, and get kids excited about fishing and into fishing.

I could care less who wins a bass tournament. I think its silly. But I also think its beneficial, and if thats what it takes to make the rest of the world take notice, well, so be it.

Answers:

Not many lures invented by necessity of tournament angling. Usually its a very regional thing that the locals are using that is picked up by tournament fishermen passing through. Or someone uses a new regional style and wins with it.

But I laugh at the stewardship thing though. They promote C&R by intentionally fishing over spawning fish, put them in a live well for hours on end, then relocate them to another side of the lake. That sucks.

They do not hold many of their tournaments on struggling or recovering fisheries. They hold them on high producing fisheries that have lots of wow factor. For the Classic there are a lot of other variables to consider, such as a venue to hold 40,000 people during weigh in, lodging, etc. That's the only reason Pittsburgh was picked for the Classic and I have to say, it will never happen again.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 14:42

just for clarification purposes if you notice gfens rodpic in the gear section under picking a chest pack. You will notice the colored mono streight sighter like the ones used in competion. I ask that gfen be allowed to take his foot out of his mouth as i am quite sure it doesn't taste so good. This is priceless !!

Posted on: 2011/2/2 14:45

From Eastern PA
Quote:

troutslammer wrote:
just for clarification purposes if you notice gfens rodpic in the gear section under picking a chest pack. You will notice the colored mono streight sighter like the ones used in competion. I ask that gfen be allowed to take his foot out of his mouth as i am quite sure it doesn't taste so good. This is priceless !!

So you are suggesting that competitive fishing spewed forth the sighted line indicator? I am pretty sure I was doing that 25 years ago as a teenager. I think I invented it. And the roll cast.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 14:49

From Bozeman
I've seen "sighters" used as long as I have been fly fishing.

I've only been rolling my eyes at the competition tripe for about two.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 15:04

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

troutslammer wrote:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Here, alow me to reproduce it for you. I hear that the compeitition set is big on the semi-auto reel, too. Must be another sign of my secretive desire to join the Moulin Rouge sect, eh?

You'll notice the coloured, furled, mono butt section of my leader, right? Its formed from eight strands then four strands of 6# Trielene XT, bought on sale for $1 at a big box store as the cheapest 6# I could find. Those 4 strands of 6# mono then goto eight 4#, then four 4#, then finally two #4, and then some single strand tippet pieces. Amazingly, one could say that its a leader butt, and not a "strike indicator," but I can freely admit that would be disingenius.

Why? Of course, I admit I bought it because it was coloured, and there's times when its quite convienent to watch for signs of a fish taking a wet fly from under the water, or perhaps when the end of that 9' of leader you can't quite see what that size 24 Al's Rat is doing (didja know I'll occasionally use a yarn indicator there, but since I'm putting junk on the leader, I guess I'm not comp legal!).

Are you people seriously this butthurt that someone can find enjoyment in just fishing and the entire competitive mindset downright stupefying that you put this sort of effort into it?

I'm honoured, though, that a few of you people find my ways so very thrilling that you take it to this level!

BTW, you ready for this one, hotstuff? If you look way way super close, you'll find a, gasp!, simple shrimp on the end of that line.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/2/2 15:05

From Bozeman
On that note: I would, however, enter into a shrimp eating competition.

I love me some shrimp.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 15:11

From Lehigh Valley
I'm pro-shrimp.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 15:18

Even my heart man says you gotta have some reason to live-go ahead and eat shrimp once in a while-

Posted on: 2011/2/2 15:21

From Eastern PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:

BTW, you ready for this one, hotstuff? If you look way way super close, you'll find a, gasp!, simple shrimp on the end of that line.

How much frogs fanny you gotta use to get that to float?

Posted on: 2011/2/2 15:25

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

gfen wrote:

How much frogs fanny you gotta use to get that to float?

Too expensive, I use cold cream from the drug store... and I tie 'em over a foam base, not lead, so not as much as you think.. I find the shrimp hatch to be an under apprechiated facet of fly fishing.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 15:29

Quote:

pete41 wrote:
notably so when brother no longer around.

Well then I'm very sorry to hear that. You can lose a Brother in many ways, not sure I know which way you are talking about, but both are a loss.

About Brothers, I can only reflect on my sons and competition. They compete. It is a natural thing. They both played sports one loved it one tolerated it. One put himself on the top focal point one did not. When they fought too much when they were small they went to their room which they shared. They could not come out until they loved each other and they worked out the conditions on how to tolerate their differences behind the door. They are still best of friends.

The competitor is my youngest son. He will sit on stage at a piano keyboard for a solo, he will stand on a pitchers mound. He loves it. The other son loves to fish.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 16:26

hey why act dumb when u can prove it !

Posted on: 2011/2/2 16:47

Why go to clinics, when some know it all?

Oh, I forgot..Blue eyed beauties. Oh, Daddy of the gorgeous girl, why is she such a success??? Gfen? I believe that was your post. I did add some things for flavor.

Glad you are supporting the competitive fly fishing sector. The lovely lady was a competitor and supports competitive fly fishing. She controlled at Nationals at State College.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 17:07

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
81 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com