Competition Fishers here?

sipe

sipe

I know this is a controversial topic, and Im really not interested in hearing why it is or isn't good for flyfishing etc. BUT I am somewhat interested in the concept and was wondering if anyone on this forum has been or is a competition fly fisher. Also wondered if there are any competitions that exist in misstate or SC pa that I could go observe. Thanks for any relevant info!

I am not, or should I have kept quiet.

We have an actual champion around here somewhere, or should I have kept quiet? :-D C'mon Shane, let's hear it!

put fish in bucket
dump bucket in stream
catch fish the next day
pat self on back

FLY FISHING CHAMPION!!!!

I want to get into it. I guess for me it's just signing up for a competition I can make it to. Shane would probably explain everything better so I'll leave it to him. But if you really want to get an idea go over to the Trout Legend League website. There you can sign up for competitions, etc.

Check out Trout Legend. Guys are really helpful just as here. There will be a list of comps that are scheduled to be taking place. There is one on Spring this weekend. Also, knowing where you live there will be a few coming up in the winter. Yellow Breeches comes to mind. They usually involve stream clean ups as well.

SBecker wrote:
Check out Trout Legend. Guys are really helpful just as here. There will be a list of comps that are scheduled to be taking place. There is one on Spring this weekend. Also, knowing where you live there will be a few coming up in the winter. Yellow Breeches comes to mind. They usually involve stream clean ups as well.

I want to commend Shane for not answering to the negative post. Good for you. You are growing up in your old age ;-)

PhilC is the actual champion. He carried Shane from what I gather.... :-D

wgmiller wrote:
PhilC is the actual champion. He carried Shane from what I gather.... :-D

Why didn't you work "fully endorsed" into that somewhere? That would have been funny :-D

Are these generally open to anyone or are they bound to a few folks who are on a "circuit"? I'd like to maybe consider fishing one of these just for fun , and because I'm incredibly competitive.

Open to anyone. You just have to sign up for one before it fills up.

I'm with Jack and Slum... on this one.

No, Jack, you should not have kept quiet about this one.

sipe wrote:
Are these generally open to anyone or are they bound to a few folks who are on a "circuit"? I'd like to maybe consider fishing one of these just for fun , and because I'm incredibly competitive.

As long as you have the registration fee, they'll be happy to let you partake.

In fact, if a bunch of you would like to give me money, I'd be happy to let you compete amongst yourselves for a percentage of that money.

Don't forget to get a NASCAR jumpsuit with all the silly endorsement patches! IMHO, which probably doesn't mean sh*t to "competative fly fisherman" It should be illegal. A sport "Really?"

joebamboo wrote:
Don't forget to get a NASCAR jumpsuit with all the silly endorsement patches! IMHO, which probably doesn't mean sh*t to "competative fly fisherman" It should be illegal. A sport "Really?"

Excuse me stewardess, I speak Crotchety Old Man.

He's saying that he finds the entire idea of turning a pastoral, relaxing sport into a competition to be a sad commentary on the state of things, and that those who partake in it are basically missing the whole point.

gfen, thanks for better explaining my view!

gfen wrote:
joebamboo wrote:

Excuse me stewardess, I speak Crotchety Old Man.

He's saying that he finds the entire idea of turning a pastoral, relaxing sport into a competition to be a sad commentary on the state of things, and that those who partake in it are basically missing the whole point.

No ill will towards the tourney guys, some are my freinds....but true dat, Gfen.

During these "competitions", do they close off portions of the streams to those not participating?

Nope. You have just as much right to fish the streams as they do. Sometimes during competitions, anglers not in the competition will fish in the designated spot of a competition angler. One may ask the non competition angler to leave, but its their every right to fish that spot as the angler in the competition.

each unto their own.

imho the fly fishing competition circuit proves that fly fishing can be a sport as well as as past time - just like snow boarding, skiing and moto cross.

as far as i know, the social side of the circuit is pretty good, and guys help each other learn and are visiting new places.

who wouldn't wanna get paid to fish in Sweden, France or Slovenia for wild trout ?

Back