Cicadas - A Bust

F

Fishidiot

They're certainly out in a few areas but the big 2013 cicada "hatch" in eastern PA appears to have been overblown.

Cicada Bust

I think it's still too early, last time they were around here in the western prairie part of the state, it was late june into july. I was out mt biking last week just north of me and heard them in the woods, so they ARE starting.

I'm glad I didn't tie any.

bikerfish wrote:
I think it's still too early, last time they were around here in the western prairie part of the state, it was late june into july. I was out mt biking last week just north of me and heard them in the woods, so they ARE starting.

I agree I would wait until later in the month before declaring it a bust. In 2008 I recall seeing only a few in early June, then two weeks later it was complete chaos in the same area.

Dear Fishidiot,

I can tell you that at my house they are downright annoying. My boat is parked along side my driveway, and it must be located on the remnants of a cicada loveshack circa 1996. The little buggers are literally screaming all day long.

At any given time today there were several dozen cicadas crawling along the trailer or across the boat cover. When I went to get my mail there were another dozen or so crawling on the mailbox post or in the surrounding vegetation.

I think they bigger problem is the emergence is localized and unless the locality includes a stream they are merely an inconvenience. I have a small stream in the valley where I live but the nearest real stream is Stony Creek and it is probably 3 to 4 miles as crow flies from my house.

Cicadas are horrible fliers and I can't see them getting to Stony, or over another ridge to Clarks, unless they get caught in tornado.

Despite the fact that they aren't producing great fishing I think they are kind of cool myself, and I am far from being a fan of bugs of any type.

Cicada3_zps6b3e429d.jpg

Cicada2_zps3b0d080e.jpg

Cicada1_zps34ed133b.jpg

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I have so many of them here it's unreal. Talked to a guy who lives about 3 miles out the road and back just a little and he has none at his place.

WTF?

Roomate was at Clarks last night. He said "The woods were alive with the noise", but only saw one hit the water. He said it was going like a motor boat but never saw anything take it.
Who knows, maybe they'll get to moving some more and more will find their way to the water?

In the early part of their adult life, they make a lot of noise, but don't fly much, so don't hit the water much.

After they are around for awhile, in the later part of their adult life, they start flying more and hitting the water. That's when the fishing turns on.

In the early part of the "hatch" is the time to scout around and find where there are cicadas near the streams. Preferably streams with big carp!

I think you do need to give it some time. 17 year life cycle and you want them to just jump it to a crick and drown/ get eaten in the first two weeks as an adult? I think I fish them in central Pa in '08 in late July, maybe even August.

My grandpap who taught me a lot about fishing, always said you need to have patience. It was a long time ago, but it still applies.

Agreed. I think it's a bit too early to call it a bust.

That said, I think expectations might have been a bit skewed to begin with. Many of the counties in PA with some of the best trout streams are not expected to see this brood.

I still think the potential for spectacular cicada fishing lies ahead.

Unfortunately, I'm worried I might miss it, as I'm gone half of June and July. Then again, I've missed virtually everything else this season, so why not.

PennKev wrote:
bikerfish wrote:

I agree I would wait until later in the month before declaring it a bust. In 2008 I recall seeing only a few in early June, then two weeks later it was complete chaos in the same area.

I have to agree it was late June when I last saw this cicada, I had actually never seen this kind of hatch and when I arrived at our camping area the first thing I said when I got out of the truck was, " What is that awful noise"

Perhaps.

The 1987-2004 brood we had here in the SC started on May 14th in Adams Co and was over by mid June. There may be some variance this year due to colder springtime temps.....but if there were going to be widespread cicada emergences across eastern PA this year, as was forecast, they would be out by now.
A diligent cicada chaser might be able to find some good fishing in very limited spots this year. I'm thinking some of the Dauphin County bugs may yet find their way into the Susky as the bugs become more active over the next few days.
However, widespread cicada fishing opportunities on the big name waters in eastern PA are almost certainly not going to happen - the time window has come and gone.

:-(

Going like crazy around southern Schuylkill(New Ringgold area), northern Berks this afternoon.

In 08,

fished them the first week of July and it was in high gear.

They're on Clarks. At least the stretch of Clarks I fished. They're definitely in the hills as the hills are a roarin' with mating calls. There are some streamside, but not enough to really whip the fish into a frenzy. The trout will eat them as I tossed a few into the stream and set them adrift only to be gobbled up by a willing trout. But it's not a "feeding frenzy". I did catch a few on a cicada fly, but had to work a little for them.

I think the cool spring may have altered their emergence with regards to timing and density.

DSCN0334_zps3e0a8a44.jpg

DSCN0329_zps79bef57a.jpg

DSCN0303_zpsf6e397cc.jpg

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Especially appreciate the closeup of the underside. Nice tie BTW!

Thanks. That's the Loren Williams tie. Simple and effective.

http://www.lorenwflyfishes.com/tutorials/dry-flies/periodical-cicada

Hopefully I can find some more soon. Tied a few with hopes that they finally get toward the streams!

Not beautiful- among my first flies ever tied now.
CicadaFlyMultiSmall.jpg

Back