Casting with either hand... Is there any benefit?

JDemko

JDemko

Is there any benefit from being able to fish/cast with both hands?

Do you mean two handed, as in spey, casting, or being able to cast with either hand?

I was born pretty close to ambidextrous and have the ability to do many things either lefty or righty. As I got older, I became more comfortable or used to using a given hand for one thing or the other. I'm a lefty for fly fishing, throwing, shooting guns, and playing guitar, but a righty for spin fishing, and just about everything else. Don't ask, I don't know how it works out that way...

I can cast pretty easily right handed, but I have to concentrate a little bit more to do so. It often comes in handy when my arms get tired or when it is a benefit based on the flow of the water or surrounding obstructions. So yeah, I'd say there is a definite benefit, but I wouldn't sweat it if you can't cast with either arm. Just position yourself in a smart way and you'll be fine.

You mean like with a 2-handed spey rod or being able to cast with left and right? The big rods are usually in the neighborhood of 12-14 feet or so. Its a distance thing. If you mean left and right, it comes in handy if you are not wading and can cast in either direction or if you are trying to teach someone else to cast and they can kind of mirror you. My bro in law is a lefty and i am right handed...we fish out of a canoe better because we are on opposite sides. Comes in handy at thanksgiving too as we are not stabbing each other with eating utensils as we dive for seconds.

Yo Jay, the reason I ask is I got hurt wrestling and got a shoulder operation, so I'm casting with my left hand now..

It can't hurt to learn how to cast with your left hand. It shouldn't take too long to get it down.

it also helps when your high stick nymphing. my right arm can get real sore if i use it all the time, so being able to switch helps alot and keeps me fishing with less breaks,

Lefty Kreh learned to do it for the mirror reason I mentioned earlier. I'll sometimes fish left handed when I have a smoke and I;m just lifting and flipping. I can't see a downside to it. Heck you can probably even strip line with your good arm in a sling.

I cast right-handed, but can manage about 45 feet with my left; my left is probably more of a textbook cast as far as mechanics goes.

The weird thiing is, when I fish for brookies I inadvertently use my left 99% of the time.

To answer your question, being able to cast with both hands could never be a negative thing.

If you can become profficient enough it can help you catch those fish from the more difficult lies that others have to pass up because they can not make the cast properly.

I am all messed up with the left/right thing. I kick, play hockey and can sort of bat left but fish, write, golf and throw right. I haven't worked out the left handed cast. Go figure.

Steve

JDemko:

I had shoulder surgery this past january, and it's still not back to 100 percent, and probably will never be, according to my doctor.
I've had some thoughts of trying to fish with my other (left) arm, but it seems like it would be very awkward, and take quite a bit of time to get used to. Just wondering if that was the case with you
I've been casting a fly rod right handed for 25 years, and sure that it would be hard to change now

hey dryflyguy:

its a shame but your doc is probably right.. this is my third operation, hopefully this time around my shoulder will be at least close to 100%... but anyway I've been fly fishing for a few months before I got my surgery and even though i don't have much experience, I really picked it up quick when i switched to my left hand and I think because your so experienced it will be easier for you.. you already know how to cast, you just have to get used to the motion with your left arm.. I think if you put in two solid days, maybe even less, on the stream practicing, your cast will be smooth enough to catch fish... you know everyone is different maybe you might pick it up right away, but I think you will.

I'm pretty much done with fishing for this year
The time to do it I think, would be starting next year, after not fishing for 3 months or so, Maybe even, try some left handed casting out in the yard over the winter. But, I'll have to switch my reel around to left handed casting and make a commitment to it

JD:
Sorry to hear about your shoulder injury and I HOPE it's nothing serious enough to be long lasting!?!

As to benefits of being able to case with either hand:

Personally, I'd never given it much thought at one time. Like, when we were all young and thus; "Would live forever and were totally invincible"!?? Yeah, right, nice notion at the time!!

But, one day, a very good fishing buddy of mine lost his right, (and casting) arm, in an industrial accident. Joe's one of those, that "has more guts than a slaughter house", so after the initial care and therapy of the arm loss was over and done with, Joe called and asked if we could go "wet a line"?!

He'd adapted himself to casting with his left hand, as gracefully and as well, as he'd ever been able to do with his right. I was not only very impressed, I was also actually envious that he could make such a transition look so easy!! So, I decided to also give it a try, to see if and how, I'd do if such a misfortune ever happened to me. And, as the type of friend Joe is, sort of an "honoring him" thing went along with it all, too.

I learned to cast, left handed, as well as I can right handed. (NEITHER hand, that I can cast with, is noteworthy, believe me!).

Well, about two months ago, I was diagnosed with "The onset of Parkinson's Disease". (Yeah, I know,even the doctors said the same things................ "Kinda "rare" in someone so darn studly, good looking and only 57 years young!). But, 'dems da' facts and OF COURSE, it just HAD to hit me, in my right side first, my dominate side for casting, and all things that I normally do, right handed!

Except, for, throwing my long rods because I have switched primarily, to my left hand for casting. without any effort. And, it so far hasn't slowed me down to much!

Jdemko wrote: “…the reason I ask is I got hurt wrestling and got a shoulder operation, so I'm casting with my left hand now.”

Jdemko,

I too have a shoulder injury from wrestling in college. I nursed it through for a long time without much of a problem, but during last few years it has really bothered me. I sometimes have pain during / after fly-fishing. I have worked on casting left handed lately. It isn’t easy in the beginning – try it. Now when you teach someone to cast, you can see how difficult casting is when your first starting out.

My left hand casting is okay now, not quite as developed as right handed, but passable. I can’t lay out the entire line plus 20’ of backing casting with my left hand (but I can’t do that with my right hand either). A side benefit of casting with either hand is that it comes in handy in certain stream situations like casting upstream when standing close to the bank, with the flow from right to left.

I started out by lawn casting a bit. I’ve read about using two rods (one in each hand) to learn – I haven’t tried that. I do find that false casting and switching back and forth to each hand during the cast helps you to get your casting rhythm down. Try practicing on the lawn to get started and gain some proficiency, and then take it to the stream. Good luck.

Flybinder wrote: “Well, about two months ago, I was diagnosed with "The onset of Parkinson's Disease". (Yeah, I know,even the doctors said the same things................ "Kinda "rare" in someone so darn studly, good looking and only 57 years young!). But, 'dems da' facts and OF COURSE, it just HAD to hit me, in my right side first, my dominate side for casting, and all things that I normally do, right handed!”

Fly Binder,

I’m very sorry to hear about your illness. It always happens first to the young, studly, good-looking ones. Great attitude! There’s been a lot of progress with the treatment of Parkinson’s in recent years. Fight on and fish on! Good luck.

A-Fish-(inado!)

Thank you, for the kind words. I don't let it get me down,( as you made reference to attitude), because it wouldn't do any good to begin with and secondly, there's too many fishing buddies of mine, (one in particular of 30 some years), that would "swoop down on my gear", and start "dividing it up", if I so much as mention; "I'm tired, today, I think I'll stay home!"

Yeah, they're very close and dear friends, most of them, but we ALL KNOW, how "Bamboo talks and friendships walk", when it comes to collecting gear!?!

Back