Careful out there

KeithS

KeithS

You never know what you may run into.

http://www.thereporteronline.com/article/20130409/NEWS03/130409470/teen-rescued-from-mud-in-ne-pa-state-park

I had a funny (and smelly) situation with creek mud going over my hippers on the Quittie one time, but was in no real danger.

On a completely serious note however, another time while fishing in Michaux SF with my father in law I stepped out one too many steps into a small, old impoundment that had since filled with sediment. I just needed that one more step to open up a casting lane to a rising fish out in the middle of the pool. I quickly sank to my knee in silt and after a few quick attempts to free myself that leg was sunk well over my knee. Fortunately my other leg was still on relatively solid ground and I was able to contort myself out of my hip boot and back to solid footing with some help from my FIL and a stout tree branch. With my FIL's help I was able to get back out far enough and free my hip boot. Scary moment though...if I was by myself and took one more step I woulda had a potentially serious problem. I was in a fairly remote stretch of the SF with not too many people passing by that area on the average day. Would have probably required me losing both hip boots and trying to crawl/roll out.

Teen rescued from mud in NE Pa. state park

WHITE HAVEN, Pa. (AP) — Authorities in northeastern Pennsylvania say a teenager was rescued by emergency workers after getting stuck up to his waist in mud at a state park over the weekend.

Officials said the youth got stuck, then sank deeper as he struggled, in Nescopeck State Park in Luzerne County on Sunday afternoon while walking on land that was once a lake but has since drained.
------------------------------------------------------

I've run into situations a few times where I sank into mud while fishing when it wasn't just annoying, but also pretty scary and dangerous. Three times that I can think of.

The situation to avoid is wading in deep water, where there is deep, soft mud on the bottom.

troutbert wrote:
Teen rescued from mud in NE Pa. state park

WHITE HAVEN, Pa. (AP) — Authorities in northeastern Pennsylvania say a teenager was rescued by emergency workers after getting stuck up to his waist in mud at a state park over the weekend.

Officials said the youth got stuck, then sank deeper as he struggled, in Nescopeck State Park in Luzerne County on Sunday afternoon while walking on land that was once a lake but has since drained.
------------------------------------------------------

I've run into situations a few times where I sank into mud while fishing when it wasn't just annoying, but also pretty scary and dangerous. Three times that I can think of.

The situation to avoid is wading in deep water, where there is deep, soft mud on the bottom.

This is precisely why I carry a drinking straw in my vest pocket. :-D

Back