Cannibalism and brook trout

M

mario66pens

While fishing my favorite brookie stream this morning, I saw some splashing in a hole I just fished, when I investigated I saw a monster of a brookie (around 15 in) with a 4 in or so brookie in its mouth. The fish were flopping all through the pool until the smaller one succumbed, it was fascinating to watch.

There is likely a reason that 15-incher is that big and you found it. One of the more memorable fish I have caught was a 13" wild brookie in the ANF, that was gagging on an 8" brookie. Brookies are opportunistic feeders, including when the prey is their own.

big brookies will take small browns too. saw a big ole one on the Little Lehigh last week - he slid out of a side hole, sneaked up behind a big pod of juvi browns and suckers in the bridge hole took one and disappeared to its lair.

he was part of the food chain too though - a big gash out of his back from a hawk or heron.

i'm guessing he was a stocker brookie moved up from somewhere else and gone rogue. definitely in the 14-16" range.

It is a great TIC lesson watching brookies in an aquarium eating each other. Usually happens over a weekend when they aren't getting fed as usual.

1017039_639942479372301_1942153661_n.jpg

1235934_10202154125554279_407245987_n.jpg

Did manage to catch all three species today, (having problems uploading brookie.

Brookies can be real aggressive. They'll go for a streamer over and over, they won't just chase one time like a brown trout often does.

Back