Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Caddis Style

From Mechanicsburg Pa
Whats your favorite style of caddis dry, and why? Elk hair, cdc, or a combination of both or maybe a different wing material.

Posted on: 4/8 6:42

Re: Caddis Style

From Pipersville Pa.
For me elk and cdc. Profile from the elk wing. The movement of the cdc. Just can't be matched with hackle.

GenCon

Posted on: 4/8 7:06

Ian Anderson, Thick as a brick.

Hans Weilenman's CDC & Elk followed by Matthew's X-Caddis.

Posted on: 4/8 7:42

From Pittsburgh
fluttering caddis - period.

Posted on: 4/8 7:44

From Lambertville
I've read that it's Weilenman's signature fly.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 4/8 8:17

From LV
Well as always it depends, I like the Henryville Special for the grannom complex and I use for #14 stone flies too. For smaller Caddis Species I like and Elk Hair or Deer Hair Caddis. For emerges I like the Lafontaine sparkle pupae especially for large salmon in Maine..

Posted on: 4/8 8:22

From Chester County
If i had to pick one adult and one pupa, it would be the CDC & Elk for adults and the LaFountaine emergent sparkle pupa tied in the appropriate size and color to match the naturals.

Posted on: 4/8 8:26

From Ephrata, PA
I love me the classic EHC. Probably my favorite dry. I messed w/ CDC for a period, but went back to the EHC. I don't mind the CDC under elk hair wings, that's fine. So either the combination of CDC and elk hair, or just a plain ol' elk hair caddis work for me!

Posted on: 4/8 8:33

For fast water or mountain streams I like a Trude-style caddis. For slower water I like a cdc an elk, a dubbed body- cdc underwing- deer hair wing caddis, or an x2 caddis

Posted on: 4/8 9:14

From Southeast Pa.
Hands down, for emergers, the deep sparkle pupa is one of my favorite fly's to go to. I have fished others, and nothing compares to this fly/emerger. For a dry caddis, I like the elk hair when there not being picky. Mainly because it floats well, and it skips well across the water. As for slower water/picky trout I like the CDC caddis.

Posted on: 4/8 9:29

From Pgh
Depends on where, and when, I'm fishing.

Generally, elk hair works for me almost everywhere. However, in heavily fished streams (Spring Creek) and/or sections , I firmly believe fish tend to recognize the elk hair silhouette as something to avoid, especially as the season progresses. And though I can usually get some takes it seems like I often have to work harder.

So I also carry the Henryville Special and CDC patterns to use in those situations. I remember several times on Spring Creek, when green caddis were everywhere and my EHC was getting a lukewarm reception, I would switch to a Henryville and the fish would become noticeably more aggressive on the takes.

Posted on: 4/8 12:33

From Media, PA
I like the Bow Tie Caddis for flat water and picky fish, and more of a Henryville style for faster water. I also have had some good success skating a Henryville type dry in riffles on Spring.

Posted on: 4/8 19:15

From Hershey
I prefer my caddis to lie flat on the surface, like a comparadun style fly. I have several patterns of caddis that lie flat but I mostly use a CDC and Elk hair style.

Posted on: 4/8 19:20

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
Elk hair with cdc under. I think the cdc makes it more life like and natural looking.

Posted on: 4/8 19:24

From Shrewsbury, PA
I tie a very simple dry caddis that takes me no more than 4 minutes. Let's say for a tan caddis, the body is a mixture of tan superfine dubbing and chopped up tan CDC fibers. The wing is either 3 or 4 tan CDC feathers (depending on hook size) with the tips slightly extending past the hook bend. I use (dub) chopped up CDC fibers for head. Treat with Tiemco's Dry Magic.

Find that this fly sits low in in the water and based on my experience, I get more hook-ups than an Elk Hair Caddis.( I hate messing with elk or deer hair). I also have had better results going one hook size smaller (per the hatch).

I've tried snowshoe for the wing but have found CDC to be the best per my experiences.

This fly is also good for dabbihg.

Posted on: 4/9 9:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com