Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Caddis Pupae Immitations

From Southeast PA
The ESP can be effectively used by swinging them like wets. The movement and sometimes a bit of a bobbing action imitate an emerging caddis very well. I ususally fish them dead drifted because I just like fishing "dries" this way, but if that doesn't work I'll try swinging them or twitching them.

The DSP is fished like a nymph. It can also be very effective. Often I will use them as a dropper from an ESP during a caddis hatch. Just use the right size and color. Or just use them as a searching pattern if there are no other hatches going on, especially on streams with decent caddis populations, of course.

Posted on: 2006/12/16 15:14

From Chester County
Wulff Man covered the DSP & ESP thoroughly. Let the fish decide – dead drift or swing. Caddis are the most prevalent insect on most PA streams. I have not found a pattern more effective than these flies for caddis. During a hatch, with the right size and color, you can vacuum up the stream. It’s also a great searching pattern, but it must be tied correctly.

Posted on: 2006/12/16 18:36

Well thanks for the input from all you guys.

I started tying them the other night and got about a dozen nice ones finished. I was also able to work out some of the problems I was having before with the advice posted by WULFMAN.

One question I had though was if the ESP could be tied without the hair wing? And whether it would be successful?

I tied some with wings and some without. I am also going to tie some with CDC for wing material. What do you guys think?

Posted on: 2006/12/16 20:02

From Chester County
Wmass,

The answer is yes it will work. I sometimes run out of DSPs and I tie on an ESP with a split shot. The deep sparkle pupa is basically the same as the emergent sparkle pupa without the wing, and with partridge hackle tied on each side for legs. It should be tied weighted. Attached is a tutorial for the ESP, and a picture of the DSP from LaFountaine’s site and another site. They don’t look like much more than a bunch of belly button lint on a hook, like most of Lafountaine’s flies, but they really work. I recommend Gary’s two books: “Caddisflies” which is an extensive study of caddis flies, and “Trout Flies,” which is a listing of Gary’s off beat patterns. Good luck.

http://hipwader.com/2003/emergent-sparkle-pupa

http://www.thebookmailer.com/Flies/Em ... body_deepsparklepupa.html

http://members.tripod.com/stevenojai/sparpupa.htm

Posted on: 2006/12/17 8:12

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
95 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com