Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Brown Trout Migration in Poconos

From Lancaster County
Fish were probably there. If there was a foot of leaves in the stream, that would provide some cover that normally would not be there. It was brookies that I observed the interaction of fish with leaves, but they simply disappeared into a leafy bottom last fall on one small stream I was fishing, when I made my presence known. Kind of cool how they used the fallen leaves as cover. Depending on the geology of the area, if the bedrock weathered such that some smaller rocks (2-3 feet in diameter) ended up in the stream, there are probably browns hanging out underneath them. I find that so much with browns has to do with timing and water conditions. I've had days on higher water where I picked up 70/30 browns to brooks and fished a day later in much lower water conditions and it was running more like 99/1 brooks to browns. I know the fish didn't migrate overnight.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 18:42

I've seen both native brookies and wild browns using fallen leaves on the surface of the water as cover.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 18:51
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Central PA
very good question. I do not have an answer but have some input.

fishing the little Schuylkill 2 weeks ago I caught the male then the hen out of the same pool, they were in their upper teens. the run below I picked up 4 wild browns. then a week later only caught 1 small 11 inch wild brown out of the pool where the two big ones were and the other run nothing....the difference was I caught more when the water had a bit of color in it and it was cloudy, the bluebird day a week later was worse. although I landed a 20+ inch bow when the sun went down behind the trees.

the penns is the same way, when its sunny, low, and clear it is tough. you know they are there but do not seem to take the fly. I am thinking about taking centerpinning up.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 23:31

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com