Brookies spawning

Chaz

Chaz

Here's a pic of some spawning beds cut by brookies. If you look closely you can see one fish, there was another with it but it's not in the picture. You'll see a bed infront of the bed with the brookie over it and another further across the stream. This was in Luzerne Cty on Laurel Run.

Attachments

• IMAGE_050.jpg
    IMAGE_050.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 4
Hey Chaz, there's a couple big rainbows in the back of the photo swimming up to eat the brookies!

(just kidding of course) :)

Seriously, nice photo - great to see brookies doing their thing as they probably have in that very stream for thousands of years.

Lol Chaz I thought about fishing that stream next weekend. I think ill just let them go and do their thing.

I'm a little dense. Do you think someone could label this picture so noobs know what beds look like? And where is the fish? Is it center/right in the picture right by a floating yellow leaf?

put your sunglasses on WSENDER...then you'll see them

In yellow is the trout. The red cirular areas appear to be "swept out" so the eggs ought to be right downcurrent (usually) buried under some gravel. I'm not that experienced to direct your attention to exactly where the bed of eggs would be, but maybe someone else can take my photo markup and show us exactly where the eggs are likely hidden:

Attachments

• redds.jpg
    redds.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 1
Chaz..........you must have ESP , i was gonna post yesterday that i had seen brookies in a few streams already starting the annual dance , i don't have pictures but i was gonna ask if anyone else noticed any activity , you beat me to it , nice picture and a great subject. Sometimes they can be almost impossible to catch when they are doin thier thing , but it sure is fun to watch , is that considered voyeurism? The largest redd i've ever seen , while not brookies , browns AND rainbows , was right below the bridge at the trailer court in Williams Grove on the Breeches , there was at least 20 trout on that one and it was much later in the season but the trout were there and they were big ones , i "lifted" a wooley bugger into a big rainbow and he tore me off in a fraction of a second , that's what i get for "cheatin" so after that i leave them alone and just enjoy watching. Has anyone else seen them at it yet? Nice Post Chaz.

we have good water here and the brooks are spawning, no other fish to bother them too. will try to get and get pics soon...

Isn't the trout located where I highlighted? I think the first peron highlighted a rock, maybe.?

Attachments

• trout2.JPG
    trout2.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 1
I see your fish and think you are correct about mine being a rock. :oops:

You know how many times I've fished to the ever elusive Rock Trout? A few too many hours spent wasting time making cast after cast after cast to a nice fish that turns out to be a rock.

I agree with TUNA...Jack, if you're right, that's about an 18-20" wild brookie lol.

Well, the stream and its features look a lot larger when you focus on TUNA's fish.

The trout is where Tuna highlighted, I may have missed another spawning bed though right behind the fish in the rectangle. It's not a real good photo, but I've some that I took with a better camera, that was my cell phone camera. Not too good, but you can see the spawning beds. In a week or so they won't be so obvious, so I'll try to get another photo.
Sal I would think they'll be finished spawning next weekend. give it a try, just keep in mind what to look for and don't do a lot of wading. Walk the banks.

I was out brookie fishing this evening, I saw 2 or 3 reds but they were vacant. And the 4 I caught were really drab I meen really dark even for this time of year. No fish in the deep pools they were all in the current and near foam lines. I'm gonna stay off of the native creeks until about the middle of next month. I got some steel to case.

PACO.........on my home brookie streams i always notice that right before they start to clear their redds they move into the faster water and the riffles , kinda like a pre-spawn indicator , and when they start doggin each other in the fast water and riffles , IT'S ON , the next thing i see is the females cleaning the gravel of silt , that sideways flutter that gets the silt off of the gravel , they also seem to get tougher to catch when they move into the pre spawn mode , i guess their minds are on other things beside eating. I don't like to mess with em once they start cleaning the gravel , i'm content to just watch and marvel at what will be future generations of brookies.

as Squaretail will verify,...my problem is not casting to a rock, thinking it's a fish.....it's thinking I see a rock...and it WAS a fish, making a hasty escape!

Back