Brook trout

sandfly

sandfly

sat for an hour or so to get this on film. Spotted a couple Brookies trying to go over a jack dam. you can see it on left, very fast.

can't get the movie going so i snapped a few pics out of it. here is the brook.

Attachments

• 10-24-2010 straight run 018_0001.jpg
    10-24-2010 straight run 018_0001.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 10-24-2010 straight run 018_0002.jpg
    10-24-2010 straight run 018_0002.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 10-24-2010 straight run 018_0003.jpg
    10-24-2010 straight run 018_0003.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1
The video played for me, good stuff.

Video played for me. Cool to see - I thought only salmon, steelhead etc jumped dams.

yeah i finally got it. Now if I can remember how....lol

this is one reason I am against jack dams, some fish can't make it over to get to the spawning areas. they should have a notch in them for easy access upstream.

That's really cool, most of the J- dams or Wing dams or whatever you call them that I've seen constructed recently are very carefully constructed with a low point where the main flow is concentrated to one area instead of evenly flowing over the top.

It is more naturally flowing and still allows passage, Muddy Creek and Fishing Creek (York Co.) are two examples I've seen this.

The dam like structures are actually U shaped and direct the flow to a central point which creates a deep hole and channel below the structure for fish to hide and also allows them to still be able to move up or down stream.

Attachments

• Two stream structures.JPG
    Two stream structures.JPG
    648.5 KB · Views: 2
That's ridiculously fast.

When built correctly a jack dam is supposed to allow fish passage. Just one more "improvement" that doesn't work, then someone comes along to fix them and rebuilds them the same way compounding the mistake.

NICE VIDEO SANDFLY.............i think that with a little rain and slightly higher water that brookie made it to his spawning grounds and is probably on a redd right now , be careful wading this time of year. Avoid those cleaned off gravel areas , even when you don't see fish on them.

Osprey, the streams are low and clear here now. that was taken yesturday morning. streams are small enough you really don't have to wade them .

When fishing those headwater brookie streams i try to avoid wading as much as possible all year , except to cross to the other side or where you absolutly have to.

Hodge36 wrote:
That's ridiculously fast.

Sandfly is faster than a speeding bullet. Don't ask me how I know this. :lol:

Nice camera work, Bob. Thanks for sharing...

Thats a neat clip!

trout stalker,

Any Migratory fish, or any fish for that matter, will try and jump dams. Suckers are very easily seen during the spring trying to leap dams.

Back