Book 1896 Fish Commissioners Of Pennsylvania

littlejuniata

littlejuniata

looks like all they stocked were trout fry and there no streams stated, just numbers of fry sent, names of who they were sent to and the post office location.

Couldn't find mention of rainbow trout fry stocked, just brook and brown trout, but there is a picture of a rainbow in the book

LJ,

Any chance you could scan it or take some close-ups? I'd love to read it. I can't imagine any kind of copyright applies any more.

I will try there are over 250 pages, color pictures of main species of sports fish, plus pictures of hatchery's articles on shad fishing, quite a lot of information. Plus listings of who and where the trout fry were sent and the number sent. Is there an area or topic you would like to see?

The book was presented to ?? by George M Patterson Pa House of Rep's, I think he was a Blair County guy

They also stocked black bass and carp

Federal stocked shad in the Deleware

The address of the President of the commission was

Henry C. Ford 1823 Vine Street Philadelphia

no Zip code?

That's a courthouse now, I think. Also has a highway running pretty much under it.

love these old chroma pics

http://www.classicnatureprints.com/pr.Pennsylvania%20Fish/pa.fish.index.htm

LJ,

Is there any mention of an Atlantic salmon run or fishery in the Delaware in that 1896 volume. There was a small run in 1895 as a result of 1891-92 stockings, so I am wondering if a run or remnant thereof occurred in 1896.

I will check Mike, in the index there is a topic

"The total distribution of other trout and salmon from June 1894 to June 1895 was 601,000

OK found something page 7

"The fish Commissioners take great pleasure in announcing the almost certainty that their efforts to stock the Delaware with Atlantic Salmon were successful, large numbers of these great game fish were taken in nets between Gloucester and the Delaware Water Gap and even above. These fish averaged from twelve to fifteen pounds each two or three weighed between twenty five and thirty pounds each

Back