Blue plate special

jayL

jayL

I'm taking a class on local sustainable food sources. Being a college senior is awesome.

Anyway, for the final, I have to bring a dish made with local ingredients.

I was considering wild brookies, but that wouldn't be nice. Anyway, forgive me in advance. I'll be taking three of those fresh stocked hogs in hay creek. First fish I'll be taking in a few year, so hopefully I remember how to clean em.

:)

You already harvested them?

If I can't get em in the creek I grew up fishing, I give up.

They'll be taken this Saturday. I'll be sure to say a small fish prayer for them. Gonna feel bad doing this... not about killing the fish, but the fact that they aren't really local. Oh well, a little lie won't hurt.

Feral cat?

Jay,

What's your arguement for the stockers being a "sustainable" local food source?

Help yourself to the fish. That's what they are there for.

Alby has a point Jay. Stockers are on sustainable April-June at best :-D Well that is unless you are just going to use them as an example of wild trout, but that would be a lie. :p

Alb, Sal,

SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

The guy's from Germany, he won't know.

Ian has already made that point and had a good laugh at me. Even so, there is no way I get called out on this one. I'm going to go fishing for a school project, damnit!

the stockers in Hay Creek are sustainable year round....the water stays cold and there is a section that is HIKEABLE only and those fish live a nice life, so I hope Jay shortens the life expectancy of the stockers so that a few WILD FISH live a little easier!!!!!

Either way, what a great school project!!! I got to electro-shock a few streams while I was in college..........that was flat out fun....shocked a wild trout stream---brookies and one huge Sculpin........the other was a huge stream with many, many fish over 27 inches!!!!! What a blast..........school projects can be so much fun.......too bad most of them suck and are a pain in the butt...........good luck Jay.......I'm sure you won't need it........the local waters should be nice to you.......I did a fish dance with my kids for you..........

2b,

I agree. I've caught holdovers all throughout the year. The water gets too warm in the park, but the upstream sections are decent. There are many hard to spot undercuts out there.

I'll be sure to take a careful look at any fish, as there are good numbers of wild fish out there. I don't want to take any.

Thanks for the fish dance. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Quit being a wuss-- go out and get a few native brook trout and maintain your acedemic integrity!

I dedicate the half jug of wine I drank last night to your success!!

If they are brown trout, then the FBC raised them here in PA. I'd call that local. At least they aren't flown down from Alaska or somethin'.

I was thinking that too, pad. If he asks if they were stocked, I'll say that I don't know where the hatchery is, but I can't imagine it's more than 100 miles away. (that's the requirement).

Thanks for the well wishes. I almost never take fish pics, but if these are destined for the grill, maybe I'll try to post a few if I'm met with success.

The big problem is that you couldn't pay me to eat freshwater fish... I hope I don't have to try my own dish. eeek.

Hay Creek (Berks Cnty) is stocked from the Bellefonte Hatchery. I've seen the BH. They have a LOT of fish there. They can spare a few.

Jay,
I was kind of interestd in the feral cat idea...I bet it has a mutton taste.

After I got out of PSU I and a buddy wanted to do a week long camping/ live off the land thing. We made it exactly 18 hrs.

I went to college so I don't have to worry about sustainable food. :-D

On second though, considering where your school is you should bring in some Mad Dog 20/20 and pigeon.

ryanh,

Or Country Club, which is forty oz of Sh!tty beer that has a white label with gold lettering and use to be sold throughout Philly as of 6-7 years ago. It use to be 1.75 for a forty!

Carp is probably a sustainable food source.

Carp is probably a sustainable food source

Thats why the early setlers brought them over from Europe. Once the carp arived in the states they were placed in a pond that was fenced in and had a armed guard until they were stocked

Back