Blaze Orange

PatrickC

PatrickC

Our hopes yesterday were to catch some Autumn butter bellies, but the rain did not produce the flows we had hoped for. So we decided to chase some specks instead.

Great day. Here are 2 I know you'll appreciate. The big guy is 10.5" and just blazing. The smaller fish has the most spectacular red and blue spots I have seen in a long time. The artist that painted these deserves more credit!

Attachments

• d8cb057c-e576-4937-bb1c-1985872c1042_zpsaf19f1e2.jpg
    d8cb057c-e576-4937-bb1c-1985872c1042_zpsaf19f1e2.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 2593e029-2ffc-47b2-a38d-fce9955e4862_zpsac569022.jpg
    2593e029-2ffc-47b2-a38d-fce9955e4862_zpsac569022.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 3
Nice paint jobs, that's no Earl Shive I'll paint your car for $39.95

I love it! Just gorgeous.

A couple interesting notes on these guys: the big, upper fish has a very strong white edge on the upper caudal (tail edge). This is not uncommon but oftentimes the white edge is mainly, if only, on the lower edge. This guy has some good white edges. Also, his dorsal has that striking transition from yellow/green on the forward, lower part into deep, red/orange on the upper, outer half.
The smaller fish with the beautiful blue spots also has an interesting operculum (gill cover) with a couple striking brown and green patches. The upper fish has some of that bright green too, but less so.

It was a privilege to meet their acquaintances! I appreciate your eye on those details Dave. I'm sure that's why your paintings are so fantastic.

Went with the dry-dropper all day. About 50/50 on the dry vs the nymph. All of the fish were spectacular.

The best news of yesterday was that we caught a lot of fish in all different phases of development. 2 years ago I was concerned the numbers were down on this creek. And last year, I did not catch any of those 1st year 2-3" fish. Catching all of those 1st year fish yesterday restored my hope for this creek. Hopefully the genetics of that big guy are even more successful during this years spawn!

That alpha-male frightens me. I bet he got his share this spawn.

JackM wrote:

Nothing worse than tiny kype envy :-D

PatrickC wrote:
JackM wrote:

Nothing worse than tiny kype envy :-D

Now that's funny. :lol:
:pint:

PatrickC wrote:
Went with the dry-dropper all day.

I had to read that three times to make sure I read it correctly...

wgmiller wrote:
PatrickC wrote:
Went with the dry-dropper all day.

I had to read that three times to make sure I read it correctly...

You were the EXACT person I thought of when I tied that on. "Crap….there goes my reputation!"

Desperate times bro ;-)

The hump on the big guy kind of shows it's really a char rather than a true trout I think ?

And I thought this thread was gonna be about wearing hunter orange while fishing in the fall for safety.
Nice fish!

JackM wrote:
PatrickC wrote:

Desperate times bro ;-)

A green weenie and all?

I am proud to say, while I did resort to some pseudonymphing…I do not have a single green weenie in my box. I used to have a San Juan worm. I have no idea what happened to that. Of course, I have little room to say much since I have a box full of eggs I use for steelhead. They're not any different really.

One thing I got a kick out of yesterday is that I have been fishing for salmon and steelhead since mid-September and not had the 2wt out any. Let's just say I had to readjust a little early in the day.

Back