Big Thank You to Mike Heck

SBecker

SBecker

As some might know, Redsun and I took a trip out to the Letort and Falling Springs to fish with Mike Heck. This was my first time fishing these kind of streams and the reason behind choosing a guide. Not many better to get taught by. I did not land any fish, but did have a couple strikes and follows on both streams. Redsun landed 1 at FS. The trip and day was very enjoyable and am looking forward to heading back down there. Just wanted to make a public thank you to a great guide for an enjoyable and learning filled day. Highly recommend anybody checking those streams out for the first time to book Mike.

Had a blast you you two. It was a fun day. Missing trout is part of the game. I missed them on Big Springs come Sunday. Those trout were just to darn quick for me on that given day so it happens to us all.
Best wishes,
Mike

Is that nice brown still rising under the big tree at the parking lot next to where Charlie Fox lived?
Is that monster brown still feeding safely under the tangle of barbed wire about 100 feet above the bridge on Chambersburg pike?
Only in my memories of a half century ago.
As they say in Nascar-you got the lucky dog this weekend.

There was a monster brown, just hanging out at the bottom not feeding at the Cumberland Tu Pavillion area.

The one I saw was the biggest Eastern trout I ever saw[pre-steelhead day].Probably 7 pds.
Untouchable-never did figure falling springs out,that little bug was a real bugger-did well on the Letort.
Got hollered at on the forum for saying the Letort was an easy one to fish during the terrestrial season but it was-if you were willing to crawl-they would take as there was no specific hatch.

pete41 wrote:

Got hollered at on the forum for saying the Letort was an easy one to fish during the terrestrial season but it was-if you were willing to crawl-they would take as there was no specific hatch.

Ya, you deserved it. LOL.

I fished Letort around this time last year and had Mike show me the ropes. I spent quite a few days on the Letort in 2010 and last Monday the 14th was my first huge success. I caught a BWO hatch that had a lot of steady risers and managed to have an amazing few hours. But overall, the stream is tougher than the fish, but the fish are no push over.

jdaddy wrote:
But overall, the stream is tougher than the fish, but the fish are no push over.

I couldn't put it any better.

Glad to hear you guys had a rewarding time in the Cumberland Valley with Mike. In addition to showing you guys a good experience, Mike deserves great credit and kudos for his work with Falling Springs TU. He's been at it for years and this extraordinary stream is better for it.

Yes, Mike and I had a nice conversation sitting on the side of Falling Springs about the Tu and the restoration work. Also taught me how to plant a weeping willow by cutting a vine off of an existing willow. Interesting stuff.

Yes, I got the feeling from Mike that walking the Letort is not one of his favorite things to do. He made the comment to me about how I was a select few of his clients that did not mind venturing upstream at Cumberland.

LRSABecker wrote:
I was a select few of his clients that did not mind venturing upstream at Cumberland.

What, because the waters part ways for you? I am confused by this statement, and need clarification to best guide me in respecting you, and not mocking you.

It's hard walking because you sink in up to your knees every step along the creek.

LRSABecker wrote:
It's hard walking because you sink in up to your knees every step along the creek.

So, are you suggesting you can walk on water?

LRSABecker wrote:

Someone on here about bite the big one due to that stuff. It can be scary.

jdaddy wrote:
Someone on here about bite the big on due to that stuff. It can be scary.

My decoder ring is broken, this is more confusing than his initial post.

Think he is saying, he almost died because of the conditions walking along the creek. Heck said in the summer it is absolutely impossible to walk along.

Ya, it was someone else that posted on here that had they not hit a tree root or branch or something along those lines that they felt they would have been a goner.

Mike is right (of course) it is a BEAST in the Summer. There are areas that I will not even consider.

Thanks Mike!

Yea Gfen I think Becker and Jdaddy are saying that you would sink and die if you were not a long legged stork.

Had a blast and learned an important lesson.

-Fish the fish and not the stream.

i am pretty sure thats how mike put it.

I think all has been figured out. Yes, in some sections it is so mucky that you sink to your knees and beyony. 30 minutes of that and your beat. And then you still can't wade in those sections due to water depth and more sinking. It can be a beast to fish, but as we worked on fish the "fishy looking" places as you scout the water looking for trout in the open.

Still it is a fun place to fly fish.
Mike Heck

I personally came close to spelunking on the Letort last summer. I thought I was dead.

Boyer

MattBoyer wrote:
I personally came close to spelunking on the Letort last summer. I thought I was dead.

Boyer

I had a similar experience on the Letort, where I seriously thought that I might drown. I was wading in a place where the water was fairly deep and my feet just kept sinking down into the muck and the water kept coming up. I was fishing by myself and there was no around to yell to. I finally managed to pull my feet free, but it was pretty scary. This was downstream from the Harmony Hall Rd bridge.

Be careful on the mucky parts of the creek. It's probably best to fish with someone, so they can pull you out of the muck if you get that sinking feeling.

troutbert wrote:
MattBoyer wrote:

Boyer

I had a similar experience on the Letort, where I seriously thought that I might drown. I was wading in a place where the water was fairly deep and my feet just kept sinking down into the muck and the water kept coming up. I was fishing by myself and there was no around to yell to. I finally managed to pull my feet free, but it was pretty scary. This was downstream from the Harmony Hall Rd bridge.

Be careful on the mucky parts of the creek. It's probably best to fish with someone, so they can pull you out of the muck if you get that sinking feeling.

I did as well. I was thinking maybe snowshoes would work but I couldn't handle the spectacle of wearing snowshoes in summer.

Back