Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Big Spring Rainbows being killed

From Hunker
Well said geebee, when I first heard of the proposal to somehow wipe the stream of the rainbows, I thought it was a joke.. And to think that a few anglers today would decimate one of the best natural reproducing rainbow streams in the east, not to mention some of the biggest and fattest healthiest fish I've ever seen!!! I say let the stream decide and run its course, it's only just starting to heal from the hatchery back in 2001, why does man have to tamper with it again so soon?

Posted on: 2013/9/30 20:42
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

Quote:

LetortAngler wrote:
Well said geebee, when I first heard of the proposal to somehow wipe the stream of the rainbows, I thought it was a joke.. And to think that a few anglers today would decimate one of the best natural reproducing rainbow streams in the east, not to mention some of the biggest and fattest healthiest fish I've ever seen!!! I say let the stream decide and run its course, it's only just starting to heal from the hatchery back in 2001, why does man have to tamper with it again so soon?

You're assuming that there actually is such a plot.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 21:33

Is this a catch and release only stream?

Posted on: 2013/9/30 22:12
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Eastern PA
Quote:

BrookieChaser wrote:
Is this a catch and release only stream?

Yeah, section in question is c&r ffo

Posted on: 2013/9/30 22:40

I think its a shame more people don't care that much about the natives. Return on investment and making the conservationist posers happy are more important than maintaining the fishery. It's pretty pathetic how many once great native brook trout streams and rivers in the east are now being managed by state programs for browns and rainbows simply because they grow bigger, are easier to sustain, and generate more income. The upper end of big spring is one of few places that would fit the wbte program well.

Tight lines

Posted on: 2013/10/1 0:09

^^I'm not arguing at all, on the contrary, I agree with your point.

I just find the net handle and the viewpoints on this topic ironic.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 0:20
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Harrisburg
The source of this possibly comes from PA Outdoor News. I could swear I read in the Q & A part that stated the PFBC was asking anglers to throw browns and bows on the bank to help the brookies, and then asked like 6 anglers their feelings on it. The question didnt read hypothetical at all and sure sounded like they were already advising it.
Had me feeling uneasy after I read it and I'll double check today.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 5:37

From Dauphin PA
Problem- someone is tossing trout onto the bank to help the brook trout (ala weak trout)

Solution- call Chaz and ask him to stop it.

Fee- "On the house"

Posted on: 2013/10/1 6:39

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Problem- someone is tossing trout onto the bank to help the brook trout (ala weak trout)

Solution- call Chaz and ask him to stop it.

Fee- "On the house"

LOL! I was thinking the same thing.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 6:47

From Ohio
Those who throw fish on the bank should be thrown in the water. Fish should be released unless regulations permit harvesting a couple of fish for the table or mandate killing the fish (think lake trout in Yellowstone Lake).

Posted on: 2013/10/1 6:51

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Telling you guys, lasers on the rainbows would solve this potential problem.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 7:24

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From United States
Before we get emotional and allow anger to control our thoughts. We should consider that removing a percentage of the population even a large percentage may have the opposite effect long term. Streams have the ability to produce a certain mass. Pruning the tree as it were. Fewer trout in a stream as fertile as BS. Growth rates will most likely increase. Larger trout produce larger and more hearty eggs and young. Population goes up and growth rates go down and the cycle continues. I don't believe that fishing alone will completely decimate the bows. Would the population of Browns increase in the case of the bows demise? Balance.
For those who are emotionally attached to the B.S. I'm sure that this is very touchy. I am in no way condoning the stupidity of throwing trout on the bank or even the removal of any trout from the B.S. I am only trying to provide some solace, if that is the right word.
The view point I've heard expressed is that a wild trout fishery that is not public is not a fishery and not worthy of care. This is a very public fishery. Cared for by many, with various veiws. The B.S. has to be the most tampered with stream in the country right now. We humans spend so much time, effort and resources trying to undo our previous tamperings. When do we learn. I'm sorry the whole thing boders on the ridiculous. The Hatchery is gone but the mentality that created it has migrated downstream.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 9:33

Edited by Stenonema on 2013/10/1 9:51:57
Edited by Stenonema on 2013/10/1 9:59:37
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Telling you guys, lasers on the rainbows would solve this potential problem.

"You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks rainbow trout with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here!"

Posted on: 2013/10/1 14:20

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I obviously do not support anyone taking it upon themselves to throw fish on the banks.

But yeah, BS is public, and as such, is a very important resource. We should manage it to make it better. I'm not ready to throw my support behind ridding it of bows for the sake of the brookies. I'm not personally familiar enough with it myself, and would want convinced that doing so would improve the resource. But I'm open to that discussion. Would want to know things like the biomass of bows being removed vs. expected increase in biomass of brookies, etc.

If biomass, catch rates, sizes, angler usage, etc. of brookies in such a situation were expected to be similar to or better than they currently are with bows + brookies, I'd lean towards the brookies as a largish, limestone, wild brook trout stream is more rare than the same with wild bows. But if the increase in brookies doesn't come close to matching the lost bows, I wouldn't support it.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 14:31

From Ephrata, PA
I highly doubt any of those brookies are related to the original native strains that were there. These are the descendents of hatchery fish, same as the wild bows, correct?

Posted on: 2013/10/1 14:35

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com