Big Spring Creek?

bjkaledas

bjkaledas

I often here people mention Big Spring Creek on here. I go fishing in Centre County at Fisherman's Paradise quite a bit. Is this the same as Big Spring?

BJ

Also, is Big Fishing Creek the one up near Lock Haven? If so then what is the one in Benton known as?

Big Spring differs from Spring. Spring is near State College, Bellefonte, whereas Big Spring is east of Harrisburg and Carlisle, near Newville. As for Fishing Creek, the one near Loch Haven (Lamar) is know as Fishing Creek, but since there is a tributary called Little Fishing Creek, some will refer to it as Big Fishing Creek. The one near Benton is also referred to by both names.

Big Spring is the stream where you may have heard people calling a certain section "The Ditch"

Big Spring Creek refers to the limestone stream by Newville, in the Carlise area. This is the stream where the Fish comission closed their hatchery. The one in State College is just referred to as Spring Creek
And Big Fishing Creek is the limestoner by Lamar. The freestone stream by Benton is just referred to as Fishing creek
There are also quite a few other spring and fishing creeks around the state, so it's best to also include the county it's in when talking about one of them I guess.
I think just about every county in PA has a pine creek, trout and laurel run, -so there can be lots of confusion

The Spring delema seems wrapped up.
Fishing creek in Larmar/Mill Hall/ Lock Haven is known as Fishing Creek. The only thing I can add is that the one near Benton is distinguished with a north branch and south branch of fishing creek.

Thanks for your replies! That clears up a lot of confusion I have constantly on the forums here!

BJ

Big Spring is South west of Harrisbirg and south of Carlisle, near newville PA. There is a Big Spring in Bellefonte PA that is called Big Spring, but they are afair distance from each other.
Big Fishing Creek is in Columbia County at least that is what you'll find on older maps though most people call it Fishing Creek now, Fishing Creek is in Clinton County, and I've only heard folks call it "Big Fishing Creek" after Charlie Meck started calling it Big Fishing Creek. It may be know to locals as "Big" but map makers don't know it by that name as far as I know.
If you really want to be confused go to topozone.com and type in Fishing Creek and PA see how many you find. While you're at it try Pine Creek and Laurel Run.

Back