HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Big slate drakes

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
As long as a "slate drake" pattern work for the Hex hatch and vice versa, who cares?

Two totally different patterns I think. If you look at a Hex they really don't look anything like an Isonychia.

Pcray, while it's true that most Iso nymphs do typically crawl onto rocks to emerge within the water column in the deeper runs in many streams and rivers. A few friends & I fish Slate Drake emerger & dun patterns during the hatch with great success in these streams.

The only place I've ever heard of Hexes called Big Slate Drakes was in Weamer's book. The Hex hatch is a big hatch in many parts of New England and I don't think they call them Big Slate Drakes (of course I believe the term Slate Drake used for the Isonychia mayfly was originally local to PA. Outside of our area they've mostly just been called Isos.)

Posted on: 2013/6/21 10:48

The hex in question (atrocaudata) looks pretty different from the hexes that most people are familiar with (limbata). They really don't look anything like slate drakes, either. They're way bigger and look completely different. My best guess is that this name has something to do with the timing of the emergence, since isos are a bug people might actually be expecting to see at that time.

Click to see original Image in a new window

I've seen these most years on penns. It's typical to see a few duns during the day not usually in large numbers. Given summer water temps, it's probably a hard hatch to chase if you don't live in the area. Even if you did manage to hit a spinnerfall in the pitch dark, the fishing might be miserable if the water temperatures are up.

The name "big slate drake" is definitely something that others use to refer to this mayfly:

http://www.troutnut.com/common-name/64/Big-Slate-Drakes

Posted on: 2013/6/21 13:52

Oh, I missed an obvious thing. The spinners actually do look a lot like big slate drake spinners. That's probably why they call them that... I'm an idiot.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 13:56

From chester ct
I've seen big hexes just at dark on the Lil Lehi - was never sure if the trouts were working on the spinners or duns, since I never managed a hookup. But it was exciting.

tl
les

Posted on: 2013/6/21 21:57

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
153 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com