HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: big maine? brookies

From Eastern PA
Quote:

AFISHN wrote:
jdaddy:Do you want to share your US Air/Maine experience or is it to painful?

You have to fly a small airline called PenAir to get into a lot of the places like Presque Isle. When I got off the PenAir plane in Boston I looked at the board and every US Air flight to PHL was hours delayed or cancelled. Mine was cancelled. I ran back to the PenAir terminal to ask if I could get the large box that I had checked and they said they had already given it to US Air. Needless to say when I got to PHL no checked packages. The box contained Simms boots and G3 waders, four lamson reels, a ross evo LT, 5-6 C&F fly boxes full of flies, all on my technical clothing I had for mosquito and black fly defense, etc. In other words thousands of dollars of crap. They say if a bag is missing for over 24 hours the probability of recovery is pretty low. Luckily a baggage delivery driver showed up at my door step yesterday! Quite a relief. Luckily I had hung my waders and rain jacket beside the stove and they were dry. My boots did not dry and I had them in a plastic bag. They did not smell so great. LOL.

All in all it was a great end result but I was really not looking forward to digging up receipts, etc for those items valued over $150.

FWIW, US Air will (reluctantly) reimburse up to $3,400 for checked luggage that is lost. They require receipts on any individual items worth more than $150.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 9:32

From Eastern PA
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
Gee bee -

Sounds like you've fished up there a bit.
I'm going in sept. If there's nothing hatching then, I kinda figure maybe I can take some on terrestrials.
Have you ever fished there at that time of year?

Generally speaking, most Maine waters do not get the hatch activities that PA and NY get. Last week 90% of the time we were there no surface activity was noted, yet the fish would smash damn near anything. I'd be packing ants of all varieties (saw a bunch of flying ants but not on water) and caddis.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 9:37

From Da 'Berg, PA
I've not been up there in September so I'd check with the rangely sports store, but I think caddis and bwo's should be hatching.

The brookies will be in their spawning colors and I think for both them and the landlocks folks will be swinging streamers or bombers for the meat eaters.

Unlike the flatlands streams most of the big fish will be holding in pocket water and deep fast riffles rather than your typical placid pool.

Fish the seams and eddys, in front of boulders etc with Wulffs, humpies, ehc 's and irresistables if you want to use dry flies.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 13:14

From Erie, PA
Hey guys, been waiting to make my first post. This seems to be a good time. I moved to Erie two weeks ago, but born, raised and lived in Bangor, Maine. I'm 30 now and have been fly fishing my home state's waters since I was a boy. We indeed have some huge brookies. The big ones like big meat--you might get lucky on nymphs, but the best bet is to swing big streamers deep.

Native brookies in the 18-24" range are like any other fish; some of them take you into your backing, and some sulk and then reluctantly come up like an old boot.

If you want to see them at their best, plan a Fall trip. Native males in spawning colors are a sight to behold.

Feel free to send me a PM and I'll send you in the right direction.

Posted on: 2013/7/4 19:40

From Pittsburgh
Mainah -

Welcome to the site!
That's gotta be a pretty rough transition for you though. I've vacationed in maine quite a few times - mostly around bar harbor - and think it's one beautiful place for sure.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 12:26

From Erie, PA
The Acadia area is a place everyone should visit in their lifetime. It's funny--all of my Maine fishing buddies want to be out here fishing for chrome, and everyone I've met here wants to go after big brookies and stripers in Maine. Grass is always greener lol.

I've had a blast here so far, and it's not even Fall yet! I can't wait to get out with the faithful two hander in a few short months.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 18:14

From West Chester,PA
Mainah.By now you probably know that in your new location,you are sitting on the Mother of ALL Smallmouth Lakes.May and early June is prime time for the BIG SM bass,so you ahve time to get dailed in
BTW:Welcome to the site.Good bunch here,for sure
Tom

Posted on: 2013/7/6 12:27

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com