Big fish of PA - 2008

wgmiller

wgmiller

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/bigfish.htm

Some big hogs in the Yellow Breeches!

Under flathead:
Stephen Killian New Kensington Lock And Dam #4 9/7 Live Trout 30 lb. 8 oz.

It's legal to use a trout as bait?

I saw that too under the muskie section someone used trout.

You can probably use trout if you buy them from a hatchery, because their yours.

Should be illegal to use trout, I know that many Little Juniata trout ending up being striper bait, probably still are?? bu not as much as before.

All you need is a bait dealers permit (most guides have them) . Other wise you can only possess a limit for whatever water you are on and you must have caught them with a hook and line. They buy them from hatcheries. I asked the guy we went with to Raystown the one time.

At least they're not using dynamite.

Only two(maybe one) of the trout were caught on a fly rod. At least it was the two best browns.

I think as long as the trout is over the 7in size limit and creel limit its legal. And it was legally caught.

Using stocked trout that qualify as a record is a joke- especially if it was in the stream for less than a month.

Paul, if you caught a stocked fish that you knew HAD to be a record, would you really keep it anyway? The ask yourself, if you actually caught a wild fish that had to be a record, would you keep that? That's kind of why I think records are an irrelevant part of fishing. Frankly, I'd rather someone let a wild big fish go.

Agree- I don't buy into that stuff. Everyone likes to marvel at big fish but not my motivation- I'll just take some photo's and make a mount if I was that wowed by a fish. Have'nt come close to anything like yet- maybe if I am lucky someday.

Things that will get fly fishing records-
Money and time.

since you didn't specify type of fish what if you caught a world record LMB-$10 million not hard to take-lol

if i caught one wild or stocked, it would be swimming 1 minute later ;-)

pete41 wrote:
since you didn't specify type of fish what if you caught a world record LMB-$10 million not hard to take-lol

I don't understand...if I catch a record LMB someone shows up at my door with a check? What?

They say the person that catches the next world record LMB and gets it registered can expect between $10 and $50 million in endorsements-
The current one was caught in an oxbow in a river,weighed at the post office and eaten for dinner[during the depression]

pete41 wrote:
They say the person that catches the next world record LMB and gets it registered can expect between $10 and $50 million in endorsements-
The current one was caught in an oxbow in a river,weighed at the post office and eaten for dinner[during the depression]

Sounds like we're fishing for the wrong species...My uneducated guess would be that that person would have to be a tournament fishermen. Some back woods Bubba who accidentally hooks this fish while enjoying a six pack in his favorite catfishin' hole will likely not see more than his 15 minutes of fame. But he still thinks Skoal should be payin' him to wear his hat...

Thanks for sharing the site.
I sit in wonder at how well the State of PA. runs the site.
New York state's site is bush league compared to PA.
I spend more time on Penna site than New York.

No-they are really geared up to go for broke celebrating-The question is will it be Mexico or Southern California[using rainbow trout or imitators of same for bait].
I use to be impressed by trout fishermen that catalogs or magazines praised for catching a really large trout on a fly.
Then I found out in most cases it was a dude on a guided trip-
plug for Flybop and other guides here because they deserved the credit.

Back