best stream in PA

J

jimmy22sept

In everyone's opinion what would you say is the best trout stream in the state

We have this debate from time to time and my response has always been (all things considered):

Spring Creek

the one you are fishing at the moment..

Overall - Spring Creek

For History - Letort Spring Run

For Overall Beauty - Rock Run

For the North Part of the State - Slate Run

The stream that Matters Most - THe one your on....good reply sandfly!
:-D

in my opinion it would have to the the Perkiomen creek above Green Lane resevoir in montgomery county

I can't believe I'm the first one to vote Penns...Penns is the best natural trout stream on the east coast, hands down...Spring creek and big fishing creek mere side shows,IMO

:-o 2000 fish per mile a sideshow? :)

I love Spring Creek, but the parts I fished were far from remote. The most beautiful stream is the upper part of Cedar Run just below Letonia.

One hell of a side show...

salmo wrote:
I love Spring Creek, but the parts I fished were far from remote. The most beautiful stream is the upper part of Cedar Run just below Letonia.

You should ask opinion's for the most beatiful trout stream in PA?

Cedar is way up there...I've heard Greys, and Young womans rank up there too; never fished either...Always get distracted by Penns; the same reason why I haven't fished the mighty D, but I think that will change next year..

Call me a Circus Freak :)

I think Grays Run is Pretty but Rock Run just across the road and up the hill is alot more pretty IMO. Slate is a close second........then again there is Kitchen Creek...too bad you cant fish it.

oil creek , the sulfur hatch is so thick u have to fish with your mouth shut ...hehehe

Penns is the prettiest, and when you fish there and are successful, you really get the sense that you have experienced the best. You can have a great day on Spring and not feel that.

But Penns is something of a contrived fishery--we all know how warm it gets and the problems that causes. Spring is a genuine, natural trout stream that used to have brook trout all through it, and that somehow (ok, not somehow, no harvest helps alot) stays good despite a great deal of pressure.

This is a tie. Sorry for the copout.

I wish I lived closer, since ever since gasoline topped 2 bucks a gallon, I rarely go that far. I haven't gotten to know them as well as I would like.

Pine Creek is pretty also, its a good example of what ffing is all about when the caddis are coming off by the 10s of thousands :)

Kitchen creek posted?

Spring is a great fishery. To bad she lost all of thoses hatches though, no more Drake, "The best stream in Pa" has got to have bugs.

DGC wrote:
Penns is the prettiest, and when you fish there and are successful, you really get the sense that you have experienced the best. You can have a great day on Spring and not feel that.

But Penns is something of a contrived fishery--we all know how warm it gets and the problems that causes. Spring is a genuine, natural trout stream that used to have brook trout all through it, and that somehow (ok, not somehow, no harvest helps alot) stays good despite a great deal of pressure.

This is a tie. Sorry for the copout.

I wish I lived closer, since ever since gasoline topped 2 bucks a gallon, I rarely go that far. I haven't gotten to know them as well as I would like.

There was a time where Penns had brookies through out, and stayed cool all summer long. Before they clear cut it Penns was covered with white pines and 500 year old hemlock, old growth forest..Some one please correct me if I'm off on the "white Pines" but I believe I read some where that pines were so think there would be snow melt as late May...

I used to have a list of streams for whenever we have this discussion, but now I agree with Sandfly, the one I'm fishing.

Best (Delaware system excluded):

1. Spring Creek
2. Penns Creek
3. Little Juniata River
4. Fishing Creek
5. A tributary to one of the above mentioned streams

Prettiest (sticking with the well known streams):

1. Slate/Cedar Runs
2. Penns
3. Little J. in the gorge
4. Fishing Creek Narrows

Kitchen Creek isnt posted but its posted to fishing. YOur more than welcome to walk it.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/rickettsglen.aspx

Fishing is prohibited in the Glens Natural Area.

The Yough is gorgeous in its fall colors. Id hav to agree that spring creek is one of, if not THE best in Pa.

Back