Best rod to learn on.

ian_brown

ian_brown

I'm trying to get a few people started, and I'd like input on a good setup to teach with. Jay and I discussed this, and I think a 4 or 5 wt rod, about 8'6" and overlined by one weight would make sense. I like the idea of overlining because it would make it easier to feel the rod load.

I've helped get 4 friends started (2 of which had never fished before, period) and I found it was good to start long and work them into it gently. I used a 9' 6wt and fished on a lake to let them get the feel of casting without having to deal with hangups. I agree with you that stepping up the line might help them feel it load a little better. After that trip I'd take them to a rather open stream and then use a 8' 5wt. Then once they get to that point and I felt they were ready I'd give them a 7'6" 4wt and then we'd fish tighter streams.

I would say other important to points when helping to keep the frustration of that learning curve is to keep the leader short, don't start them on weighted flies until they have a good feel of casting or a good feel for a roll cast. Basically I think just allowing someone to get a feel for casting is probably the best thing you can do, while you just help to point out their mistakes and teach them how to correct them and continue to improve. I'll usually talk along a rod myself and show them what they're doing wrong and how to fix it. Now I've got 4 friends always asking when we can go again because they enjoyed it so much. Putting them on easy to catch fish doesn't hurt either for a moral booster ;-)

Figured I'd give the input here for anyone else who is wondering.

As I discussed with Ian last night, I fail to understand why people teach newcomers (usually kids) on a 2 or 3 weight. I know it's lighter and shorter, but I've seen a few kids have a real hell of a time casting a whippy little rod, when it would be alot easier to feel the load on a longer softer 4 or 5 weight.

http://www.familytyes.com

Email these guys. I bet the have the answer

Well since i taught for Orvis, I guess i can input...Also learned from Kreh, Wulff, and Jaworowski to name a few...
I would suggest a 7'9" or a 8'6" rod with a beginner line like the orvis clearwater line which is made with a shorter head for easier loading...I would'nt over line the rod though, since it changes how the rod performs...
Or send them here for classes.. :-D

Sandfly,
Would send them your way if I could. In the meantime, I agree that an 8'6" 5/6 is best as the loading is much more easily felt/understood than with lighter rigs. In the end, basic casting instruction has to be geared toward not looking back to see what's happening, and the only way to accomplish that is to learn the feel of a backcast beginning to load. No?
Coughlin

basic casting instruction has to be geared toward not looking back to see what's happening

That's the first I heard of that. In the lessons I've taken, I've been encouraged to cast with an open stance so that I can watch the backcast. I definately disagree with that.

Joan Wulff also has an excercise where you cast sidearm watching your backcast, and you drop the rod tip so that the line drops to the ground. You can see the backcast "frozen" at the time of it straigtening out. It's very effective in helping the student learn the timing of the backcast.

Eventually, you can close up your stance and forget about the backcast. Hopefully though, you have the timing down by then.

I also disagree with the idea of overlining the rod. Getting a rod that has a slow-er action is a good idea. But overlining the rod doesn't really do that. You'll end up with rod bounce on the forward cast when you do the "stop", and that will put shock waves down the line. It will be impossible to get a good presentation with the line whipping around. To eliminate that effect, your students will start overcompensating. And then they will not learn the technique of a good "stop", which IMHO is critical.

A 7'6" 5wt is a good rod as well to start people.

Joe E

Some beginners might pick it up right away with a short light fast rod, but I think that would be the exception, and not the rule. For less coodinated people, i would go with longer and slower rod. A moderate 5/6 weight in 8 or 9 foot is a good starter outfit IMHO. something with good feel.

I'm self taught (with no classes, books or videos), and not a good teacher so take this for what it is worth (just one person's opinion). My first rod was very long and slow (8.5 bamboo, about a 5 or 6 weight) and I think I picked it up fairly quickly. next rods were long and slow used fiberglass. If you can find an old Wonderod, I think that would be a good rod to learn on. That is if you are teaching yourself. I think the average instructor might get frustrated with it if he is using a modern rod, and you are using an old glass rod.

just some thoughts.

woah!
Why don't we take a step back and catch our breath. I think that we too easily get caught up in the minutia of the sport. A newbie is not goint to know the difference between a 7 foot 6 inch or a 9 foot. Frankly both the 3 wt and the 6 wt will feel foreign and fragile in thier uninitiated hands. Lets remember how we learned to fish.

I would start them off high sticking in a place where they have a good chance catching a fish. But thats just me.

Ryan,

I learned on a long, soft noodly rod. I think it was for the best.

Though, takin them to catch a few fish always helps.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I would believe that it would be best to teach some one how to cast on a rod size, weight and action that they are most likely to use initially. Thus, for a youngster, a 8 foot 5-weight and for an adult, an 8.5 or 9 foot 5-weight would be my suggestion. Then again, if there plan was to only fish brookie streams, why not teach them on an appropriate rod for that situation.

ryanh wrote:
woah!
Why don't we take a step back and catch our breath. I think that we too easily get caught up in the minutia of the sport. A newbie is not goint to know the difference between a 7 foot 6 inch or a 9 foot. Frankly both the 3 wt and the 6 wt will feel foreign and fragile in thier uninitiated hands. Lets remember how we learned to fish.

I would start them off high sticking in a place where they have a good chance catching a fish. But thats just me.

there has been lots of good points here, and this was an excelent one.

FarmerDave wrote:
ryanh wrote:
Lets remember how we learned to fish.

there has been lots of good points here, and this was an excelent one.

I learned by attending a day long flyfishing class run by a local flyshop. The casting instruction was by Ed Shenk, the famous fly angler, guide and author.

IMHO that is the way to learn how to flyfish. A FFF certified casting instructor can get someone started the right way without passing on bad habits or misconceptions. And be honest, we all have bad casting habits.

I've helped people learn to cast, but have always stressed how important it is to learn from a reputible casting instructor.

I got into fly fishing about 10 years ago when I was spin fishing for trout. I wasn't catching anything, it was in the summer and I saw a guy just pounding on the trout. He was fly fishing.

I got myself a 9 foot 5 wt and basically just watched others fly fish and picked it up from there. Then about 3 years later, I bit the bullet and got a lesson from a local fly shop. I wished I had done this sooner. Easily the best move I made.

With that being said, I would think that the rod length and line weight would depend on what streams you intend on these guys learning on. Most guides/instructors I've talked to will tell you that a 8'6 or 9ft 5wt is the best all around rod for MOST streams in PA. This may not be true if you're going after brookies in small mountain streams, thus why I say the waters you're going to be fishing on would have an impact on the rod selection.

if someone is new to the sport I never teach on water, i first teach them the 2 basic casts on grass..the overhead and roll cast...Yes you can roll cast on grass ! no distractions like water, fish bugs, etc. they can concentrate on learning the techichque more than fishing...after they have learned this then go out and try fishing....

They should learn the basics before jumping in with both feet...

Back