Best of '11, beit photo, story, moment

stevehalupka

stevehalupka

was there a thread; search yielded nothing?

IMGP0047.JPG

Someone should post a pic of Paul doing the fyf rant. That tops all for me.

Driving along there at 70 or 80 mph you forget it would take a week for the settlers to go from horizon to horizon.
you can imagine the Sioux coming over the hills.

I love how the pavement changes between states.

I know we are not "ranking" these moments but JayL yours is gonna be hard to beat. #1 by far.... On a sad note Jay I am not visiting my family in Bozeman this year. We are having a family reunion in Costa Rica !

Nothing sad about that.

Well, sad is the wrong word. I was just looking forward to meeting JayL out in Montana for a little fishing....

There's always the next decade or so. Enjoy Costa rica buddy.

Not if the Mayans are correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Made it up to the sinnemahoning area for a few days of small streams fishing. This area was were I caught my first brookie as a kid and I had not been up there in awhile. A lot of memories of time spent with my grandpap up there.

Attachments

• 287257_535342978099_187800346_30936764_1304019857_o.jpg
    287257_535342978099_187800346_30936764_1304019857_o.jpg
    929.4 KB · Views: 2
Without a doubt my favorite moment was hooking into a 3 ft wide stingray and fighting it for half an hour on my 5-wt. First fish I've hooked that actually pulled line. Losing battle, but awesome.

Catching a shad near dock lights at night is up there too. So is a double-digit day on a tough limestoner catching everything on my own fly pattern I only sorta thought would work.

Bring on 2012!

The highlight of my 2011 season was when I came upon this incredible spot along a very remote section of brown trout water. This might be the most beautiful stream I've ever been on. The rhodys were in full bloom all along the stream. It was an amazing sight. I honestly felt like I was in a trout fishermans paradise. Probably my best stream photo so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0705 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0705 (Custom).JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 2
WT....want to tell me where that is? Lol j/k It's a pretty stream.

nice. that looks like New Zealand.

Back in May after a long but productive day astream I was going to call it quits as it was getting a bit chilly, near dark and starting to rain. While the fishing had been good with numerous brook char brought hand none had exceeded 11”. Decided to fish one more pool since it was on the way back. Not having caught one on a dry all day I tied on a huge attractor (greendrake coffin fly) since it would be easy to see in the twilight at a distance. At the end of the first drift as I was just about to lift it out for another cast the fly went under. Thought that maybe the rain had soaked it and the current in the pool tail had sucked it under. Then thought it had got snagged on a log. Gave it a couple hard tugs in an attempt to loose the snag. Nope. So, figured I’d just snap the tippet and call it a day. With a really hard pull I felt a headshake! Game on! Let me tell you the fish gave a fight any large smallmouth bass would have been hard pressed to beat and twisted my ankle after stepping (plunging) into the water while trying to get into a better position. Nothing was going to stop me from bringing this beast to hand and, I did. One of the biggest wild brookies I’ve caught outside of Canada. Yeah, the pic. stinks but at least I got one.

Early Father’s Day morning I went to drag a conehead muddler for an hour or so through a few shallow pools on a local freestoner that was running high because of heavy rain the night before - Doing so during June tends to produce some exceptional specimens but this one was a total surprise! The fish was far larger than I imagined while easily steering it in towards the shallows after an immediate hookup from a rather sloppy upstream roll cast. Managed one quick pic. before it turned it’s head to break the tippet and give me a splash in the face!. Told a neighbor about it and his wife told me a few days later he went there to try and catch it. A couple months ago he mentioned it and said I must have been BSing. So, showed him the pic. Don’t get no better than that.

Attachments

• tohandleg.jpg
    tohandleg.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 2
  • splasher.JPG
    splasher.JPG
    743.1 KB · Views: 2
You have nice pics here. I like a lot the wildtrout image. Looks like a dream water.

My steelhead season on Erie tribes ends with not very pretty or fishable weather, creeks were blow out of proportion, heavy rain and fog. Against all odds I was able to hook nice chrome and saying goodbye took this pic living the Elk Creek.
[color=0000FF]~~~[/color]

Attachments

• Elk_Creek_PA_Monday_2011.jpg
    Elk_Creek_PA_Monday_2011.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 2
I think my best moment of 2011 was catching my first Upper Delaware brown trout. It was on top with a bwo emerger. That whole weekend was great. Just floating down the river and hooking up with some brutes. I still have dreams about the one I lost on DaveS's boat. I think he dreams about it to.

Attachments

• 1st Upper D Brown.jpg
    1st Upper D Brown.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Andy's Back.jpg
    Andy's Back.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 2
  • Float.jpg
    Float.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2
No doubt about it man. That trip was the best of '11. The morning pitching streamers with Andy was kick-a$$. I had nearly as much fun rowing the boat as catchin' those hogs. I said NEARLY. Can't wait to get back up there!

Back