Best flyfisher I ever met.

GenCon

GenCon

Today I would like to make a tribute. To one of the best Pa. flyfishers I ever met. He was my Dad. Dad passed away Nov. 19, 2010. I would like to tell you all a bit about him. When I was 12 my Dad took up flyfishing. He was excited that I took intrest as well. Over the years we learned together. My Dad took me fishing evrywhere. I caught my first trout with him. When I graduated high school. My dad took me to the Keys to go tarpon fishing. I did not even know what a Tarpon was. The first tarpon I hooked scared the hell out of me. That was 36 yrs. ago. Tarpon have been a passion of mine since. Dad was probably not the best tier or caster. But he had the greatest love of the sport of anyone I knew. He taught tons of people how to tie and cast. He always said when he was fishing it was a bonus if he caught a fish. He loved the outdoors and would sometimes stop fishing just to watch a bird a squirrlel or maybe a deer. He loved to meet other fishermen on the stream and trade ideas, flies or whatever he had to offer that day. Most of you probably never met him maybe some have. His name was Robert Lohman. Dad was my hero my best friend, my mentor. Today Feb.1 was his birthday. So today I make tribute to the greatest flyfisher I have ever met.

So I raise my glass and say Happy Birthday Dad. The greatest flyfisher I ever knew.

Your Son, Michael

Michael, great post and rest assure I will toast your dad later today. I envy you those memories.

Great write up. Glass will be tipped later for him. I hope to one day have a post about what i gave back to the fly fishing community as you just had. I am with him that catching fish is a bonus.

Will join in later today. Great post

I will raise my fly rod tonight! Happy Birthday to your Dad. :hammer:

Nice tribute Gencon! Pleasure to read it.

great story!

Great tribute to your Dad.

Great post thanks for sharing. Happy birthday to him.

Just cracked one open. Gencon happy birthday to your Dad. Best wishes

Michael,

Happy birthday to your Dad, and I raise a glass...

I hope some day my kids will show that much pride and affection in their reflections on me as you show in your description of your father.

Peace.

JT

Here's to your Dad and all dads who take their kids fishing

Nicely said Gencon, I'm sorry for your loss and glad for your memories...

The sip has been poured.....................

Well stated - the fly-fishing world was lucky to share your dad for the time he was able. Keep a hold of the memories.

I like the idea that fishing is great, and catching a fish is just a bonus. It's called fishing, not catching, and a sip goes down...

Cheers!

I was hoping to wet a line this weekend, but memories and dreams of what may be will have to do. Here's to your Dad!

Dear GenCon,

My glass is raised to you and to your Father.

I'm sorry your Father has passed but something tells me he is looking down proudly on how you took to the lessons he offered to you.

What a fine way to honor your Dad!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

A day late. Salute!. he's aaaahhhh fine man that takes his son to fish.

:pint:

Back