Quittie
Armstrong
Powells
Conodiguinet
Shermans

And several other smaller streams
and not to mention some fine lakes.

Dear CPR,

Is that you I see whizzing by in that black Maybach, thought it was Kobe? You must drive awfully fast to be on any of those streams you mentioned in 20 minutes from Harrisburg

Twenty years ago my vote would have been for White Haven, PA. On the western edge of the Pocono's you had the Lehigh River and Mud Run within minutes and many other smaller but no less productive streams to fish. It was a lot less crowded then, and I even befriended a number of locals who took me to "their" spots. I doubt I could do that today eventhough I'm a better BS'er than I was back then.

I always loved State College but like some of the others have mentioned it's kind of built up for my tastes. Two weeks ago I was talking to a guy from Pittsburgh in the parking lot of Fisherman's Paradise and I told him about riding the "fishing bus" from campus with my waders and gear on and remarked that when I was walking back to State College at the end of an evening all I had to do was stick out my thumb and I'd get a ride back to town from some sympathetic older fart who admired my youthful energy and pursuits.

Nowadays your more likely to get run over by a speeding car but I still love going there. Now that I have a camp close I'll go there a lot trying to recapture the days when you could just pull over and pee by the side of the road.

If I had to pick a place today I would vote for Williamsport, or some small town in southern Lycoming County. The way the highways have grown you cannot possibly fish every stream that is within a 2 hour drive in two lifetimes. Add 1/2 hour to your drive and you can fish the trout and salmon runs on Cayuga Lake from there. If you remember to use the Shamokin Dam bypass you can make the Letort or Boiling Springs from Billtown in less than 2 hours.

Put Williamsport on the list and I'll vote for it!

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2009/6/11 19:54

Re: Best Fly Fishing Town in Pennsylvania

From Central, PA
i like cross forks also but I gotta go with Jay on this also I live 3 minutes from Penns so Im blessed to be able to bike to Penns and go from Coburn to Ingleby to Poe Paddy to C@R in 15 minutes

Posted on: 2009/6/11 20:00

From Harrisburg
The folks in Erie have been as nice a bunch of locals as I've met so far, and Poor Richards has been very good to me. The Freeport Inn on 16 mile has second to none breakfasts.
But its not what I would call a "Flyfishing town".
My vote just gets pulled to Bellefonte.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 20:08

From Emigrant, Mt
Since I am very partial to Penns I'll go with Jay and Milheim. Having said that I lean very far towards Slate Run. If the old Slate Run Inn (or was it tavern?) was still there it would be a tie.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 20:32

From Hershey, PA
Dear CPR,

Is that you I see whizzing by in that black Maybach, thought it was Kobe? You must drive awfully fast to be on any of those streams you mentioned in 20 minutes from Harrisburg

Tim

5am, no traffic, you can leave the capitals steps and be on any of those waters within 20 minutes.

15 if I'm driving.

Oh, yeah, harrisburg has ABC and Troegs Brewery. And in the summer you can catch a Senators ball game, and in the winter a Bears (the soon to be 2009 Calder Cup Champions) hockey game.

Can't beat that.

matt

Posted on: 2009/6/11 21:05

From Room 109
I am changing my vote to Wellsboro.

Plus the have Hickory Fest.

I met Del at a camp fire years ago there. I will never forget that night.

Anthony Hannigan is one of best musicians ever check em out

Posted on: 2009/6/11 21:14

From Greensburg, PA
Too many one hit wonders like Bellfonte or Boiling Springs. I'd be more likely to vote for some with several waters near by.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 21:19

For the best ff town, I would have to go with Boiling Springs for all of the above mentioned reasons. And the Letort is only 10 min. away.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 21:22

From E-Town and Germania
Quote:
flybop: Having said that I lean very far towards Slate Run. If the old Slate Run Inn (or was it tavern?) was still there it would be a tie.
The Hotel Manor is at the mouth of Slate Run on Pine Creek. Is that the one you mean? If so it burned down several years back and was rebuilt. The new place is nice but I miss the old one, it had character.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 21:32

From Greensburg, PA
I have to say State College. Too many good waters really close and being centrally located, you're within a couple hours of everything else.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 21:41

From Emigrant, Mt
Salvelinus, yeah, the Hotel Manor. I used to love a couple cold beers and a greasy burger there after a day on the Runs. When I heard it had burned down I was really bummed out. I have seen the new place but you just can not recapture the feel of a place like the old Manor.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 21:45

In terms of "fishing" and "breweries", I can add the following:

Erie - Brewerie
Williamsport - Bullfrog, Bavarian Barbarian, Abbey Wright (spelling?)
Titusville-area (near Oil Creek) - Blue Canoe
Slippery Rock - North Country Brewing
Carlisle - Market Cross Pub (1 or 2 brews)
Harrisburg - Lancaster Brewing Co (in addition to Troegs and 2 ABC locations)
State College - Ottos Brewpub
and the list goes on....

Posted on: 2009/6/11 22:22

From Harrisburg
Quote:

flybop wrote:
Salvelinus, yeah, the Hotel Manor. I used to love a couple cold beers and a greasy burger there after a day on the Runs. When I heard it had burned down I was really bummed out. I have seen the new place but you just can not recapture the feel of a place like the old Manor.

Dear flybop,

I'm going to lose a lot of carefully earned brownie points with this comment but today the Pine Creek Valley is one of the last places I will go.

Many years ago when I went up there I thought it was great, the "Last Best Place." When news first hit of the rails-to-trails project I thought that it would be neat to be able to bike along Pine Creek and stop and fish.

Having seen the project come to fruition I can officially say that rails-to-trails are the worst idea God ever gave breath to.

Thanks to rails-to-trails not only did I have to leave the Pocono's to escape the NY/NJ crowd, I now have to share the Pine Creek Valley with all the people that lacked the intelligience and saavy to live and survive in NY/NJ and bailed to NOVA and the "Research Triangle" of NC.

I'm tired of coming across people driving a RAV-4 straddling the crown of every Forest Road on Earth like they own the GD place. Learn to drive or stick to the hardroads and quit ruining things for people who know how to behave and drive.

Lot's of people from up there would say I'm a "Flatlander" but I know and respect that and the new discover's of the Pine Creek Valley don't have a clue as to how to get along.

When "Starbucks" shows up on 414 I'm going on an eco-terrorist raid that will go down in legend just like John Brown's Raid.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2009/6/11 22:31

From Room 109
Quote:

Phish_HBG wrote:
In terms of "fishing" and "breweries", I can add the following:

Erie - Brewerie
Williamsport - Bullfrog, Bavarian Barbarian, Abbey Wright (spelling?)
Titusville-area (near Oil Creek) - Blue Canoe
Slippery Rock - North Country Brewing
Carlisle - Market Cross Pub (1 or 2 brews)
Harrisburg - Lancaster Brewing Co (in addition to Troegs and 2 ABC locations)
State College - Ottos Brewpub
and the list goes on....

Keep posting. We need more info like this !

Posted on: 2009/6/11 22:47

From Pittsburgh
If this thread weren't limited to PA, I'd be inclined to pick Hancock NY. Being right at the junction of the east and west branch of the delaware is pretty hard to beat fishing wise.
And the town has a good fly shop, restaurants, motels, etc.
But for PA, I'd have to pick Bellefonte.
Besides spring creek going right through the heart of town, you have logan branch and buffalo run feeding in right there too.
And bald eagle creek just a mile or 2 away.

Honorable mention to spruce creek and coburn

Posted on: 2009/6/12 0:18

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
34 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com