• Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

found this link
:)

"Over 10,000 gallons a minute gush from many fissures in underlying limestone"

wow

wow im sitting here researching missouri trout fishing an it says:

trout are stocked in each of the trout parks throughout the season everynight from March1 -Oct 31.

why can pa stock streams like this. at least the ones that run cold enough to stock in the summer. id rather see that than fish yanked out in the first week. that being said for streams without wild trout.

So when we leaving ? :-D

"LOL there they are omfg is that 1 a brook trout!!!"

Yep, from the looks of the white tips I'd say he was...and he may not be the biggest. Just closer to the surface. No shadow. The ones on the left that appear to be on the bottom (with shadow) could be bigger.

Sal,

I grew up in Missouri, and yes I do miss it from time to time. BUT, you will probably not like the trout parks much. There is a siren that is sounded to start and end the fishing day and the hatchery is right there along the spring.

Now, the few streams that are not stocked or far enough below the trout parks, very tough to beat in my opinion. The average fish is 12"-14" and you will probably be the only angler there.

If you do go, crayfish, sculpins and 4x min. Ah, the good ole days. :)

Steve

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
wow im sitting here researching missouri trout fishing an it says:

trout are stocked in each of the trout parks throughout the season everynight from March1 -Oct 31.

why can pa stock streams like this. at least the ones that run cold enough to stock in the summer. id rather see that than fish yanked out in the first week. that being said for streams without wild trout.

Um, uh......if they are cold enough in the summer to stock trout, they would probably have wild trout.

That said, I am euphoric over the latest chirade the F&BC has done to make fishing better. Bigger trout, fewer trout, moving up the season. I mean as first I was irritated because in their infinite wisdom, trying to "extend the season" by moving up the opening day, coupled with fewer trout, (eliminating the inseason stockings)they ultimitely reduced the perceived trout season by 6 weeks. Yes sports fans, Our main creek recieved its last stocking the first week of the season which is 10 full days before the old opening day. The early season crowd quit fishing in early April. When they look at the stocking lists to "go to where the fish are being dumped" they don't see our crik on the list after April 4th. This makes plenty of room and still lots of fish to fish over for the locals.

If you want to spend some time alone on a stream....go to one that had it's inseason stocking eliminated. Call it a silver lining.....

Because if streams run cold enough that they hold trout all summer they are cold enough to have a wild trout population, and most streams in PA that do run cold enough do have wild trout. Too many of them are stocked, that is the problem no the solution.

I don't think Missouri has any native trout populations, even brook trout, i.e eastern brook trout (to far west?). I have read on a couple different sites which state that rainbow and brown trout were introduced to Missouri in the 1880's, during the railroad building days, but I can't seem to find a single native Salmonidae spp. to Missouri. There are wild populations but nowhere can I find anything about native trout, "whats up with that"?

And those pictures remind me during spring break, my buddies and I fished a limestoner in Florida and were refering to it as "fishtank fishing". We even swam with trout, which I know sounds pretty darn weird.

Missouri does not nave any native trout populations, unless you consider the "bronzeback trout".
There is a stream (Mill Creek) that was last stocked in the 1800's, forgotten about, then "rediscovered" when people started catching 18" + rainbows.

Steve

I know a guy who grew up in Missouri. The northwest corner of the state has some hills and mountains. In that region you have some streams that can holdover trout. The "troutparks" that are close to St. Louis are stocked monthly because they can't hold trout much longer than that.

If I recall correctly, MO has about 350-400 miles of trout water. This includes all their stocked water as well as a scattering of wild trout water. I also think a fair amount of their better stocked water has began to produce fair numbers of wild fish, somewhat accidentally or spontaneously. I think all or virtually all of the wild fish in MO are RT. One stream, Crane Creek, I think it is, supposedly has the only remaining pure population of McCloud River strain RT. And that's pretty neat.

I researched all this pretty thoroughly at one time because I was headed down there given that I can be on the best of their water by driving about as long as it would take me to get on Slate Run from here, maybe 9-10 hours. I may still get down there eventually.

Back