Back from Montana

Wetfly01

Wetfly01

Just got back from Montana and man what a great trip. We spent seven days fishing the West Fork of the Bitterroot and seven day fishing Rock Creek. Just a brief rundown. First both streams are as slippery as all get out and a wading staff is an absolute must. The West Fork was running a little on the low side for this time of the year,but it was perfect for us. Weather was in the 50's in the am and mid 80's in the afternoons. Water temp was in the mid to high 50's.There was very little fly activity a few BWO's and Mahogany Duns. The stream is very comparable in size to the lower end of Penn's Creek. The West Fork gave up some beautiful fish, we landed some big cutthroats and browns and a few bull trout.
On day eight we headed over to Rock Creek by way of the Skalkaho Highway. Believe me I wouldn't call this a highway,more like a logging road. But the scenery was awesome. This route brought us in on the top end of Rock Creek and gave us a good chance to survey the stream from top to bottom. Rock Creek too was running a little low, but again it looked good to us. We were able to wade into all the good runs and pretty much cross where we wanted to. Weather was in the mid 30's in the am and afternoons were in the 70's. Water temp hovered in the mid 50's. Stream size was again about the size of Penn's. This place was just loaded with lots of cuttbows and rainbows and cutthroats and few browns thrown in. The rainbows fought like mini steelheads and the cutthroats were just gorgeous.
And yes, all of the fish were taken wet flies,(NO dryflies allowed). We used all of our patterns that we use here in Pennsylvania. It was an AWESOME trip,one that I'll remember for a long time. I would recommend these two streams highly on the list to fish if your planing a trip to the area. There very wadeable and there's good access to the streams.
It took me a whole year to plan this trip,and a lot of people gave me some good information. Including some guys from this forum. Brian McGeehan, DaveS, Bikerfish, Chaz, CLSports, Acristickid, Clarmy and a few others. Thank you guys for making this a very successful trip.

Sounds like a good time Dave.

Rock Creek is silly with trout. Literally stood in one spot for two hours one afternoon catching one after another....no hatch just attractors.

The local knock on Rock Creek is that it's all "small fish". Lots of 10-15" fish without a lot of "big ones". It's all relative I guess.

Hey, sounds like a great trip. But no fry flies allowed?
Coughlin

Glad you had a good time. Did you camp in the area?

No dry flies is your rule i am guessing?

Glad you had a good trip! fishing out there really spoils a person.

Guys, we didn't camp out the the areas that we fished,but there was plenty of good spots over on Rock Creek. Over at the West Fork we stayed at the Traveler's Rest they had nice little log cabins with fridg and stove. Also the price was reasonable. Over at Rock Creek we stayed at the Rock Creek Mercantile. Decent fly shop there and they had there rooms right behind the shop and reasonable price. Bikerfish, Yes the fishing out there spoiled us a little,but I still think we have some great streams here in Pa that are equal. Boy,I wish we had some of those cutthroats here in our waters. And as some of you guys know I am a dedicated wet fly fishermen and nothing against fishing dry flies, but they were out of the question for us. But if I make it back there again I think I would head over to the East Fork and feed some drys to those fish. It looked like good dry fly water. Remined me of a few streams in Potter county. The other guy from here that I forgot to mention that gave me some good info was csoult thanks Cody.

Glad to see you had a good time Dave. Of course as a fisherman, I think it would be hard not to. :)

Glad you had a good trip, Dave! I credit Rock creek for my lack of a good college education! In Springtime, the resident Big Horn Sheep were common in the lower river area. And it fish pretty good before run-off.

Glad you had a good trip. I fished the flathead many years ago and it was a blast. Being such a beautiful state, I would love to get to Montana again.

That's something I would love to do. Sounds like an amazing time, that goes by much to quickly.

Back