Ausable??

jeff

jeff

Troy and I are headed up to the West Branch of the Ausable on Friday. Should be some tremendous fishing with great flows and cool water temps (52-55 degrees). Last week the river temps were reaching 70 during the day but they got a ton of rain and cooler temps this past week. The fishing gods came through!!! If anyone else is going up we will be at the Hungry Trout restaurant on Friday night after the hatch hopefully watching the Flyers win the cup! I'll be the tall guy wearing the flyers gear. :pint:

I've always wondered about the Ausable. There was a thread on this on the Catskill Flies forum. I know they were calling it nymphing heaven. Let us know how you make out. I just can't bring myself to drive that extra 4 hrs above the Catskills. Good luck.

Jeff,
I hope you don't wear that bright orange shirt while we are fishing. The fish might have a heart attack.

Sight_Nymph,
There is a lot of pocket water at the Ausable which is awesome for nymphing. There are big boulders in the middle of the river that make beautiful holes. The Ausable aslo has plenty of flats that makes dry fly fishing great too. There are plenty of hatches and lots of trout. You have to hit it right though because even though it is in the high peaks section of the Adirondaks, it really gets warm after June. That still amazes me how warm it can get. It's a beautiful river and beautiful area. There are definitely other places to fish in the Lake Placid area, but we never fished anything other than the Ausable. It's also cool to see all the Olympic stuff in the area.

Troy

Try The East Branch,there is a dam on it and the fishing was good in that area.back in the day.GG

The scenery/mountains makes it a great place to visit. When you look up "high gradient river" in the dictionary, the Ausable is pictured.;-)There is some flatter water, but if you like to nymph in fast pocket water, you will never run out of water to fish up there.

As Troy said, the water gets real warm, so check out the temps. If you've never been up there before, it's definitely worth the trip.

The Sarnac river is close by and is also a good place to fish. It doesn't get hammered as hard as the Ausable in the SR section. Also the smallie fishing should start coming into its own right now.

Have a great trip and post a report.

http://forums.catskillflies.com/index.php/topic/2853-im-goin-to-nymphing-heaven/

My father and I fished a few years ago. We stayed at the Hungry Trout Resort. Fishing can be quite good behind the motel. We also had a lot of luck fishing way upstream (south) near the ski jumps at Lake Placid. If the water drops, be sure to fish early and late. The fish really turned off during the sunny days. Green drakes might be coming off this time of year. Good luck on the trip.

Well it looks like you can forget the Flyers shirt,have a good time on the stream.

Sorry about your flyers.

I fished there about 8 years ago and it was awesome. Caught a 20" browm on a grey and pink honey bug in the first 10 casts! As mentioned already, great pocket water for nymphing, scenery is terrific. I too stayed at the Hungry Trout. Good food there from what I remember. I also met Fran Betters there at his shop on that trip also. What a nice man. Bought a handful of his flies right out of the vise as he tied them.
I hope you have a great trip!

That sucks about the Flyers. They still had a great year considering what they went through. At least we can drown our sorrows with fishing. The beer tomorrow night at Hungry Trout will help too. I'm just glad to be getting out of town again. I have been camping and fishing three weekends in a row. It feels like my job. This is how life should be. Jeff will probably still wear the shirt.

Troy

Check out the Ausable fishing report:

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_Stream_Conditions_Display.cfm?stream=Ausable%20River

Good luck on your trip.

afishinado,
I saw that report. It looks like we are going to hit it pretty good. Thanks for all the replies!

Troy

Pay to fish the Dream Mile on the Ausable. The scenery itself is worth it. The most beautiful stretch of water I have ever seen.

Check this out as well if you haven't already:

http://www.lakeplacidflyguys.com/

Thanks for the replies! Troy and I head up there every year around this time... We started to go to see if we could catch the Green Drake hatch but in the 4 years we have went we only caught it once and it really wasn't much of one. May be this year we will hit it!!! But if we don't I don't really care cause it is beautiful up there, and the fishing is great!!Reminds me a little of Montana. Oh by the way I will be consuming plenty of beer friday night at the Hungry Trout with my Flyers gear on :pint: Shame they lost but what a series :)

Stop by the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery if you get a chance. They have a really nice Maibock on right now. Enjoy!

Back