August trouting in Maine

L

lestrout

I have a friend in Portland who wants me to take him ffishing. Any insights and advice?

I've read some pretty nice things about the rapid river, and plan on trying it next month.
Not really a fishing trip - this a a general vacation to new england with the little lady - but I should be able to check it out a bit for a day or two

Les,

Check out the Bethel, ME area; Bethel is about a 1.5 hours from Portland. The Androscroggin River is nearby and a little further west is the Wild River.

I was just up that way.

It's generally agreed that trout fishing in southern and western Maine rivers in August has the same problems as Pennsylvania- low, warm water. This year has been a good one- wetter than usual. But many of the rivers are still only borderline- about 70 degree temps. And frankly, Pa. has many more cold running brooks and headwater wild trout streams than southern Maine.

I crossed over the Wild R. in Bethel about a week ago- it was very low. The wild fish in there tend to run pretty small, too. It gets some supplemental stocking.

My guess is that the Wild got blown out from the heavy rains in the area a couple of days ago. It's a steep gradient river that tends to alternate between flash flooding and a trickle. Gorgeous place- I've camped and fished there, up around Hastings. But my experience is that the fish are only fingerling size.

In my opinion, it's worth it to head farther north, past the Rapid (which is too warm this time of year) to the lower Magalloway- a bottom release tailwater where the water temps are always in the 60s. I was there in mid-July- plenty of trout in the river.

These guys know the deal http://www.rangeleysportshop.com/blog/

If you can hold out until September, trout opportunities expand considerably in the southern and western part of the state. Serious fish. Spawning runs, etc.

There is pretty good fishing on The W Branch Penobscot river between the lake and Baxter Sp in August for big salmon and there are brookies too, but it's predominately salmon.
The East Outlet and West Outlet of Moosehead Lake are also pretty good in August, but better fishing comes later, like September. The fly to use is LaFontaine's sparkle pupae.

I just got back from 9 days in Rangeley Maine. The Megalloway river close to the Dam is fishing VERY well. Tons of brookies and land locked salmon. Water is cold and the fish are happy. Caddis on top and Big stones and frenchies on the bottom were really effective !!
Good luck !

Thanks for all this most excellent feedback. I guess I always knew how great year-round trouting is here in PA. We'll see if my buddy is up for the haul from Portland to Rangeley.

SeanC, how large were the brookies?

The average Brookie on the Magalloway was about 10 to 12 inches but I caught over a dozen that pushed 16 to 18 inches and I hooked a few big fish that I never saw. The great thing about the big brookies is that they look like little footballs.

Back