Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Are you coming to the 2008 PAFF Jamboree May 16-18?

From Enola, PA
Wisest Has always been my Baby Brother Padriac... I hope you are doing well...

Posted on: 2008/5/13 16:03

I will have to miss it this year. As someone else said, I too fished Penn's on May 2-3. It was high but not too muddy to fish. I also heard that the guides for the FH were getting into some big fish on nymphs. We fished right near the junction of Elk and Pine. Didn't do great but got a few fish on caddis and march browns. Spring was fishing better, but a hard rain fell that Sunday night just as it was getting good. Sulphurs ought to be on if its not blown out. Have fun.

Posted on: 2008/5/13 16:22

From Altoona, PA
Quote:

mkile wrote:
I plan to show up Sat. afternoon sometime. I have soccer games to attend to in the morning. Its my first trip to the Jamboree.

I know that I will miss most you because you will already be on the stream. Any stream recommendations for me. I figured I'd fish til dark and then go to the camp grounds to meet everyone. I've never fished this part of the Penn. I have only fished the fly fishing only section above Wiekert. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks. Tight lines.
Mkile

It sort of depends on the condition of the stream. If the stream is high and off color, you may want to fish close to Coburn. If the water level has fallen and the color is good, try Ingleby. I like the section near the Tunnel Road railroad bridge too. But I've had my best luck when I walk downstream "a ways". Wherever you go, work the banks. With the water level falling, the trout will be hanging out in the slowest water, which would be near the banks. That and the terrestrials washing in should be irresistible. Maybe that's not what will be going on, but I've always had much better success working the banks than fanning the water. Wait til the hatches start, the trout will reveal themselves then. I like using Lime Trudes during the sulphur hatch. Don't ask me why, but it seems to work better than actual sulphur imitations.

Elk Creek through the park is a good place to try also. Although, I've never caught anything large there. The section of Penns a couple hundred yards below the confluence of Penns and Elk is good. Try nymphing with big stonefly nymphs through the riffle there.

Don't forget streamers. Tossing a streamer during a hatch can get you some big trout. After all, when the little fish are out feeding on bugs, bif fish can chase the little uns.

If Penns is running too hard for you, be sure to hit some of the other awesome streams in the area. Spring, Tea, Honey, Cherry Run, Treasters, Weikert etc. The best time to fish small mountain streams is when the water is up a bit.

And saturday night should be the perfect time to hit the fire circle. Have a blast!

Posted on: 2008/5/13 16:42

From Schuylkill County
I fished penns on Sat when it was flowing 750-800. Color was like a green tea and very fishable. I was getting lots of action with march brown nymphs in the day before the sun came out. Saw some risers during the day but couldn't fool them. That evening caught a couple w/ march brown dries. Probably would have caught more if I tried a couple different flies. Bugs i saw hatching were march browns, sulphurs, caddis, crane flies, grey fox, and something i think is called a yellow dun. If we don't get heavy rain I think Penns will be ok for the Jam. If we get heavy rain I'll just drink more.

John

Posted on: 2008/5/13 18:56
if you look at it right...

From Altoona, PA
Craneflies! Definately get some craneflies. They aren't magic, but when trout take 'em they REALLY take 'em hard. God I love the way it looks when a trout really slams your fly!

Posted on: 2008/5/13 19:56

Webmaster
Pad,

As always thanks for your great advice. We will hope to catch next time.

Dave

Posted on: 2008/5/13 21:59

From Room 109
Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
Beats a 52 Vincent and a red headed girl
Now Nortons and Indians and Greeveses won't do
They don't have a soul like a Vincent 52
He reached for her hand and he slipped her the keys
He said I've got no further use for these
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome
Swooping down from heaven to carry me home
And he gave her one last kiss and died

Road trip ...............................

Hands down the best show I have ever seen http://www.archive.org/details/del2003-10-09.flac16

Posted on: 2008/5/13 22:43

I would like to wish all you guys the best of luck at the jam! I really wish I could go and put some faces to names. However, I have a bad wheel(broken leg) and won't be doing any fishing until summer. Definitely next year though!

Good Luck and tight lines!

Posted on: 2008/5/13 22:50

From Bozeman
Case of longhammer and a case of lager sitting by the door. I'm washing a pair of jeans, and a few shirts. I hope I have clean underwear.

Hitting the road in about 12 hours. Should be arguing with Jack and the guys about something in 24.

Nice.

Posted on: 2008/5/13 22:56

From York
Good luck to all who are there and heading up. (Lucky bastards) I'll see you on Saturday. Just save some for me. Preferably the gullible ones.

Posted on: 2008/5/14 8:49

From Dallastown, PA
Just talked to JackM. He, Albatross, Hank and LigonierA1 are having a good time with the struggle to fisnd fishable water. They are catching a few fish but its tough. Jack says Penns is barely fishable today and has improved each day since Monday. They feel it will be fin by the weekend if no more heavy rain spoils it.

They are headed over to Spring Creek this afternoon as it is the best of the big three. Even Fishing Creek Jack said is a little more colored than he'd like and roaring.

Friday am calling for showers to t-showers. Should be interesting.

Maurice

Posted on: 2008/5/14 11:19

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com