Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Are you coming to the 2008 PAFF Jamboree May 16-18?

From Enola, Pa.
I was planning on coming up on thursday and staying till tuesday, I see a couple of guys are coming earlier, so I may as well. I have to wait and see what Merle has in mind.

Merle has a long way to drive so, with the price of gas, I think he maybe having second thought. I sure hope he comes, I would sure understand if he didn't.

I'll be doing the morning coffee and a few snacks at my site, so if you can drag yourself out of the rack, come up! I sure Mo will be making some signs up, to let you know where to come.

PaulG

Posted on: 2008/5/1 7:34

I will be there Monday till Wednesday and coming back Sunday at Poe Paddy for a few more days. See yall then.

ps. Penn's kicks my butt. That is a tough nut to crack.

Posted on: 2008/5/1 8:31

ok, from a raw novice this seems an intimidating event to prepare for...And why? a couple hundred miles of travel / a vacation time from work on relatively short notice / time away from the wife and young kids \

no way, its fishing a hard-hit stream thats seen every pattern devised by man (and most handled by experts that have released these wizened fish into the alkaline waters of the famous penns creek).

oh boy. ok so the BIG question - what should I bring?? I doubt wooly buggers would really work would they? I've got leaky waders , a glass rod 6 wt and a very simple fly fishing real-- i can't change those.

but what about tipet and flies? Appreciation to any suggestion that can be easily procured at a tackle shop that Doesn't specialize in fly fishing (maybe a couple hundred patterns)

my attendance will depend of the first few things. I am only hoping that between 'beginners luck' and good advice- I can avoid the skunk...(If I can come and If I do it will undoubtably be Friday)..
Jolie

Posted on: 2008/5/1 10:27

From Harrisburg
I am on the fence still. I am scheduled to play in the golf league that Thursday night. I probably will end up attending, driving up thursday night and staying through sunday, just not sure yet.

Jolie, if the waters stay at the current level on Penns, buggers are a good way to go, black body, olive hackle, BH has been deadly for me. It works well on Spring to in some of the deeper runs and such. Flies, go to thefeatheredhook.com and tcoflyfishing.com for current stream conditions and fly suggestions. The feathered hook has current suggestions and a hatch chart for all the streams in the area, Penns, Spring, Elk, Spruce, and Fishing Creeks. All of which will probably be fished that weekend. They even give typical sizes of the flies needed.

Posted on: 2008/5/1 11:30

From Monessen, PA
I think we will be seeing BWOs/Blue Quills, March Brown / Gray Fox, Sulfurs and some Caddis and Craneflies. I'm hoping we spend the whole time fish March Browns and Sulfurs. If you don't mind buying your flies, Jonas at the Feathered Hook will know exactly what you need and the folks at Fly Fisherman's Paradise or TCO would too. I shop with Jonas for the extra flies I need because he is close to the CG, always come up to the firering to give a presentation and finally because he has never lead me astray with advice. Incidentally don't neglect scuds for underwater fishing. Finally, the Green Drake nymphs could be a hot fly, though it will certainly be too early for any duns.

PS, based upon the responses, it looks like the Jam will have a nice crowd with a mix of regulars and newcomers. I know I've said this before, but I'll repeat-- you will not regret coming. From my very first one to the one last year, I have always felt welcomed, always met a new friend or more, always had a good time at the firerings and coffee gatherings and always enjoyed the fishing, even when the streams weren't perfect.

If you're on the fence, jump down on the side of coming, you won't regret it, and it will improve your online experience ten-fold.

Posted on: 2008/5/1 11:48

From bucks cty
I was excited about the date until I found out that is a big college graduation day, including my daughters. Best I might do is stop by Saturday evening.

Posted on: 2008/5/1 12:08

From Carlisle
I had every intention of coming, even scheduled a vacation day for that Friday back in January. Then I got back into this one organization and it turns out our conference is that same weekend Thursday through Sunday. I was going to make the trek up there after the conference, but I have a test the following and I really need to put my priorities for that week on that. Hopefully next year I can finally join you guys.

Posted on: 2008/5/1 18:58

From Gettysburg
Would have loved to - will be chasing tarpon in the Keys that week. Maybe next year.
Dave

Posted on: 2008/5/1 20:49

From Enola, Pa.
Quote:

flyfishermanj wrote:
Gonna try to make it, but I meet up with my brother and some good friends for a camping trip to the Little J every year the weekend between Mother's Day and Memorial Day. I'll be staying @ the campground in Barre, if anyone fishes the "J". Might make a road trip for the campfire and get a hat.

JH

flyfisherman

A couple of us usually make a trip to the LJ, after the weekend, when most of the guys leave. Not sure if we'll do it this year, if we do we'll look you up!

PaulG

Posted on: 2008/5/2 7:20

Was really looking forward to making my first jam. Behold my better half is having major surgery on the 16th. I dont think she would be happy if I went fishing.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 13:37

From Monessen, PA
Bump

Here is a page that explains in more detail:

PAFF 2008 Jamboree Information Page

Posted on: 2008/5/4 15:10

From Greensburg, PA
...woo hooo...

Friday, May 16
Rain
Low: 56 °F
High: 72 °F

Saturday, May 17
Rain
Low: 54 °F
High: 74 °F

Sunday, May 18
Rain
Low: 54 °F
High: 76 °F

Posted on: 2008/5/4 18:45

From Monessen, PA
Better bring plenty of beer, then.

Posted on: 2008/5/4 19:53

From Altoona, PA
Quote:
oh boy. ok so the BIG question - what should I bring?? I doubt wooly buggers would really work would they? I've got leaky waders , a glass rod 6 wt and a very simple fly fishing real-- i can't change those.

In the words of a fly fishing idol of mine (Bob Clouser), "Trout eat the same sh1t every year". Which is to say, don't over think fly selection. If you catch fish on wooleybuggers at home, you can catch them on wooleybuggers anywhere. In fact, if you have some great big ones, bring 'em. In late may/early june Penns has a tremendous hatch of "great stoneflies". This is a nocturnal hatch of black stonesflies. You won't be there for the hatch and spinnerfall of the adults, and you won't be fishing in the middle of the night when they are active... but... the nymphs should be active preparing to hatch while you are there. So, dragging big black wooley buggers through the riffles would be an excellent strategy.

Trying to match the hatch could be frustrating. I know I always found it so. You won't see one hatch, you'll see several maybe half a dozen. Some bugs will be emerging while others are laying their eggs and others dying. So you'll see every lifestage of bugs. And you'll probably see all of this at the same time. So again, don't overthink your fly selection. Go with what you would use at home at the same time of day/night. Remember that during any big hatch, there will be fish feeding actively on the bugs, which makes them vulnerable to predation by larger fish. Throwing streamers during a hatch may not get you a lot of trout, but it could get you one worth taking a picture of.

And a 6wt is great for Penns. It's big water, so you may need to throw some weight flies. And you have the opportunity to throw tandem rigs or streamers if you like.

Good luck. Go to the Jam if you are at all interested. There's no entrance exam! First timers are especially welcome and this board was started for beginning fly fishers. The jam follows through on that idea.

(I'm afraid I won't be going, owing to my accident)

Posted on: 2008/5/4 21:30

Edited by Padraic on 2008/5/4 22:35:57

From Pittsburgh
I plan on coming thursday thru sunday, although there's a chance I might have to work thursday - in that case, i'll be there friday thru sunday at least. Really looking forward to meeting you guys, although I've already met Bruno, Albatross, and Acristic. And I've known Jonas for quite a while now.

By the way, I haven't reserved a site yet. I just sleep in the back of my truck, and don't really need a whole site for myself.
Is anybody interested in splitting a site for the weekend? With the number of guys coming, I would think that maybe there aren't that many available

Posted on: 2008/5/4 21:31

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
29 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com