Are these the same fish?

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

https://www.dropbox.com/s/helv6x4vmsif605/Photo1668.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8ui8fh9kdnr1ef/Photo1719.jpg

Both are from the same place but the pictures are a month apart.

Yes. Mystery solved.

Yes, The way I like to identify individual Brown trout is the spot pattern. Look at the spot pattern on the gill plate on the first picture. There are four spots if I remember correct in an unusual alignment. I believe it was the second one down that was darker and more pronounced.

Yes. No. Can I get a maybe?

I thought it was. I showed the pictures to someone else this morning and he didn't think so.

Not on the gill cover. Just behind the eye. That fish has some very easily identifying spots there.

Yes, it is, no question. +1 to what Steno said. The coloration of an individual fish can change pretty quickly, but the spot placement and pattern is constant. The two arcs of 3 and 4 spots respectively behind the eye is the giveaway and easiest to compare on this one IMO since it has lots of spots on its flank.

If not the same, an identical twin. That said, my money is on same.

And by the way, score another for catch-and-release.

I'd say its the same.

no they are not. look at the third row of dots behind the eye, different pattern

Naw, I think the angle is messing you up. Same fish.

Yes, same fish. I agree with Steno and Swattie, the spots by the eye are the same.

Same Fish. I've caught many fish several times. It is really interesting to see fish re-caught after several years. One brown I photographed in 2009 at 18.5" (Letort)...was caught in the Conodoguinet many miles downstream at 24" in 2012. Additionally, it was caught in June!

Yes, the same trout.

Yes, same fish. There are multiple areas where the spot patterns are identical, even the same markings on fins.
John

Multiple areas? haha. ALL of the areas. They're not great pics for direct comparisons, but I didn't find anywhere that the spot patterns were different.

Yeah, I agree with pcray.

Swattie87 wrote:
The two arcs of 3 and 4 spots respectively behind the eye is the giveaway

yup.

if one arc was the same you'd waver, but two ?

is that stocked ? or a wild stream ?

not that it makes a difference either way.

and kudos to you for a well executed play, net and release the first time, that meant you and others could catch that beauty again.

That section of stream isn't stocked but above and below it are. There are wild fish there too. I can't tell the difference myself yet.

Well, it is definitely the same net.

99.999% sure it is the same fish. Checked spot patternin numerous areas and all the same cept for one spot (and I do mean one spot) where it could be the angle or the foggy lens.

Back