Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Anybody have the scoop?

From Near RedRock MTN.
Just saw a stream report on the Logan Branch, and it reminded me of something I saw this summer at spring.

While a friend and I were giving the Logan a drive by glance, we passed what looks like an abandoned industrial/commercial complex. There was a fenced in area in the parking lot maybe 100'x75' if I recall, with a pit of white rocks/water and a pipe that looked to access the water for fire emergency, etc.

I couldn't believe what I had witnessed, so we turned back, and sure enough, there were large healthy trout in the man-made water retention pond. Maybe 10 fish, some close to 20" I would imagine.

How, why and awesome to see! Especially in July, there must be a spring in that pit for sure!

Anybody have any info on why these fish are there? Really sparks my curiosity!

Posted on: 2013/10/27 17:44

Re: Anybody have the scoop?

From SCPA
Yeah there's a spring there (one of many that feed the stream). The cold water was used in the plant. Did some groundwater contamination work there about 8 or 9 years ago with an environmental consulting firm I worked for. If I remember right, it was right before they were getting ready to totally close the place down. Guys would come out on their break and smoke a cigarette and watch the fish. Some would joke about bringing in some worms and pulling them out of there, but it seemed as though they were treated as pets that they enjoyed having there. They also said that it probably wasn't a good idea, considering the water came out of the ground at a superfund site. I ate lunch by the spring several times. A lot of fun just watching those big ones just cruising around.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 18:51

From Near RedRock MTN.
Nice ! Thanks for that!

I assumed it MUST be a spring, it sat right in the sun and just baked.

What I find more interesting, is that these fish are surviving off a limited food source of most likely grasshoppers, beetles and the like.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 19:07

From SCPA
If I remember right, there's a good amount of weeds in ther, which would supply all the cress bugs, shrimp, other miscellaneous goodies those fish need to grow fat. Of course along with the occasionall fly-in.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 19:28

Saw a similar thing at an underground oil-shale mine on Parachute creek, CO one time. They also had a retention pond for produced water but with 30"+ brown trout in it. Of course, it was closed to fishing. I asked the mine boss who he thinks he's fooling, and he admitted the environmental guy fed them when collecting daily water samples.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 20:36

From Johnstown, PA
We had a place in the steelmill i worked in that was kinda like that , but it was a sumphole to collect and pump stormwater when the level got high (Steelton) and the fish were goldfish and koi. The folks used to eat thier lunch there and feed the fish and as far as i know it's still there. It was just a cool thing to have in the middle of all that industrial scenario.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 7:07

The employees there probably feed the trout pellets or dog food. When you see big trout in private ponds like that, people are usually feeding them.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 9:25

From Near RedRock MTN.
Honestly, I don't know about you guys, but when I have 'trout dreams' its crazy stuff like this, which is why I found this so stunning.

My dreams are always trout in the most unlikely locations, and I am attempting to catch them.

Another example, I have a friend who owns a bar outside rickett's glenn near the town of elk grove. There is a 6" trickle behind the bar, that must emerge from a spring.

To help illustrate its size further, he mows this trickle to the edge with his riding mower, yet, the minimal amount of weeds growing right on the edge of the water is enough to completely cover and shade it.

Every year, its loaded with brookies. I'm telling you this trickle is 1/2" deep but runs strong all year....

Maybe not a complete unlikely location for brookies considering the ambient environment there, but still, its that contradictory mindset, painted by gas cans, abandoned jeeps, and other items strewn about the run that tosses me for the loop.

Anyone else have a story of trout in unlikely locations like that?

Posted on: 2013/10/28 9:49

From Near RedRock MTN.
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
The employees there probably feed the trout pellets or dog food. When you see big trout in private ponds like that, people are usually feeding them.

Likely, yes. However it looked to me the place has been shut down for some time. They must be self sustaining as their size and health seemed excellent.

I will say, what a boring life they must have in there!

Posted on: 2013/10/28 9:51

Quote:

Heberly wrote:
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

Likely, yes. However it looked to me the place has been shut down for some time.

The brass manufacturing has been shut down for a few years. But there have been employees working there ever since, maintaining the property. They are now leasing space in the buildings to other businesses.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 10:05

I'd keep on driving by, neither the retention pond or the stream are worth fishing. Spring Creek is a way better option.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 16:33

From SCPA
Quote:

Spiral wrote:
I'd keep on driving by, neither the retention pond or the stream are worth fishing. Spring Creek is a way better option.

Yep. Nothing to see here, move along ;)

Posted on: 2013/10/30 18:33

From Near RedRock MTN.
Quote:

klingy wrote:
Quote:

Spiral wrote:

Yep. Nothing to see here, move along ;)

Thanks fellas!

Looks like you saved us corn-chuckers a fishless day! Spring it is!

Posted on: 2013/10/30 19:55

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
51 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com