Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Another Etiquiette Question

From Lewistown
By the way, if your shadow and vibrations put the fish down for the entire day, than so did his as he entered the pool!

Not to mention the shadow's of the robins and starlings that bound around the sky this time of year chasing each other.

Oh, and look out for those damn clouds on windy days, they sneak up on those fish and put them down too.

Posted on: 2008/4/19 10:16

From Altoona, PA
Sounds like you could use a better way of finding "joe". It make make your life a little easier.

The whole story makes me think back to the days PaulG and I fished the "golden mile" on the Yellow Breeches. Every once in a while, we'd be fishing near a guy who'd be cursing a blue streak. Every cast ended with some sort of comment, every drift was a litany, every missed strike was an explosion. Made me wonder if the guy was actually having fun. Some guys are hotheads and you aren't going to win any prizes for antagonizing them. Give 'em a wide berth, it's better etiquette and you won't walk away from a days fishing with a story like this one. (Sounds like a win/win for you. I don't know about the hothead, but forget him!)

Posted on: 2008/4/19 10:53

the run of the mills will return as Jack said-but its the fish of the year that they might have a shot at that you don't want to spook.
Shocking shows some awfully big hold-overs that most never even dream are around so probably don't take into account.
One time on Green Springs I spotted a Brown at least seven pounds moving out from under an undercut stump.I had fished through there dozens of time and would have bet the ranch there was nothing like that in the stretch.They moved in from the warmer big rivers.The old timers like Ed Shenk[sp] would crawl the banks looking for the BIG ONE.They caught them.We rookies and casuals never knew they were there.
Yes it was a brown,not a sucker.No I didn't catch it but it was the single best fishing lesson I ever got.

Posted on: 2008/4/19 10:59

From Luzerne County, PA
I found some of these posts especially interesting, a few different points of view here. I'd like some thoughts on what could be considered different forms of "spooking" trout. How bout hooking 1 or rolling one in a pool, how will this effect other nearby trout holding in or nearby the pool.

Also on the question of how long a fish will remain inactive after being initially spooked, and how it effects their feeding habits.
I remember situations when I'd missed or spooked a large trout and came back hours later and stayed for some time and not even catch a glimpse of him. Almost as though you had only 1 shot at him and that would be it for the day. I've also read and heard for quite some time that the largest of trout in a stream will primarily feed at night, any truth to that?

Posted on: 2008/5/3 7:02

From Chester County
HD wrote: "I'd like some thoughts on what could be considered different forms of "spooking" trout. How bout hooking 1 or rolling one in a pool, how will this effect other nearby trout holding in or nearby the pool. Also on the question of how long a fish will remain inactive after being initially spooked, and how it effects their feeding habits."

This is a 100% true story. Yesterday I fished Valley Creek. VC has a well-deserved reputation for having some of the spookiest wild browns anywhere. I didn’t see much happening on top until I approached a quiet pool from below and saw 6 or 7 trout rising. I slowly and carefully waded up to the tail of the pool and planned my approach for casting to these fish. Just as I got into position, three mallards came flying in to the middle of the pool and made a belly-flop landing. There were two drakes and a hen. The drakes began attacking each other fighting over the hen and causing a mini tsunami in the pool. They frothed up the water for a minute or so until they flew off to fight in another spot. I stood there and after a couple of minutes and one trout began to rise again. After about five minutes, all the trout began to feed as if nothing happened, and I began fishing.

At the next pool, I spotted a spin fisherman working above me. He was wading in the middle of the creek. Fifty yards away I could here the “kerplunk” when his lure landed in the water. He was casting a huge silver spoon that looked more like a bass or muskie lure. He waded in the middle of the creek and flung his lure ahead of me through the next few runs and pools. I consistently caught fish “in his wake”.

The muskie fisherman disappeared, but in the next pool above, a family with two dogs decided that it was a good time to let their dogs have a swim. By the time I reached the pool they had moved on, I caught fish there.

While trout are wary creatures, many times a disturbance only puts them down temporarily. Don’t write off a section of water if it is disturbed. Many also believe that the fish you catch after they are disturbed are the small dumb ones, but yesterday, I caught many of the average 6-8" wild brownies, a few 10" fish and a 12" and a 14" wild brownie. While there are bigger fish in some sections of Valley, I would say that in most of the pools I fished, a 10-14" fish is the king of that pool.

If the trout are used to disturbances, they should return to feeding shortly after they think the threat is gone. If the trout in Valley stopped feeding for hours when disturbed, they would starve and no one would ever catch a fish.

Approach you fishing area carefully so as not to alert the fish, stay low and out of sight as much as possible, don’t line the fish or cause a disturbance in the water to tip them off, and get a good natural drift. You should still be able to catch a few in any stream.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 8:35

From LV
I have heard of incidents like this, and for guys that fish wild trout streams exclusively they sometimes get testy when people walk along the streams they are fishing. They should expect others to ask questions though and be polite in return.
Maybe he over-reacted maybe not, suppose he was casting to a fish along the side of the stream where the trail is and the fish was right in front of where you were standing. If it were me I might say something to you. But your reaction was still the 22 year old self not the more mature 28 year old.
Now most 60 year olds won't want to have a confrontation, but me, I don't take any crap from anyone, oops that was my 22 year old self. He He! folks that don't fish for wild trout very often won't understand the mind set of an avid wild trout fisherman.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 8:52

From LV
Jack this is why I caych more fish than you. If you fish wild trout streams enough you will realize that the trout do get spooked for long periods, and only go back on the feed if there is a major hatch in progress. This was brought home to me one day on Slate Run. I was observing rising fish in a pool there out of site of the fish not moving. When 2 anglers walked by the fish scattered. after about a half hour the small brookies came out and gradually started to feed on the heavy hendrickson hatch. After an hour some of the bigger fish started to find there way back to the feeding lies, finally fter 2 hours the larger fish started to show, but very tenatively. If you are patient yes the fish may come out again, but be prepared to wait. Some floks don't have that long.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 9:11

From LV
You pose an interesting question. Just recently while fishing a wild trout stream, I caught several fish in a pool and there were still others rising. I caught one more fish that splashed and jumped and raised all kinds of heck in the pool. This put the rest of the fish down as it was probably the biggest fish in the pool. I didn't catch any more fish in that pool even after a half hour of trying. Oh they probably went back on the feed later because it was an infertile stream and the fish need to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves, but there wasn't a hatch about to happen or a hatch in progress so I moved on.
Other times I have gone on and fished pools for a long while still catching fish after a dozen hook-ups, but at some point you either catch all the fish in the pool (I think that given my witnessing stream surveys this is impossibe) or spook them all.
There have been many times I have seen this not just once, so I know what I'm talking about here. There are times when you reach a pool and see many rising trout, but after you catch the first one there are no other trout rising, happens all the time, that's why we call it fishing, not catching.
Have you ever seen a bird fly over the stream in front of you and cast a big shadow, even small birds cast big shadows, and see the trout stop rising? And what about the heron that you spook as you walk upstream wondering why you haven't caught anything in your favoite holes? It happens.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 9:34

In my first reply when I said if we don't tell them like it is beginners won't learn-I meant us on the board.
no question the man was rude in an uncalled for manner but the poster may very well have repeated his error over and over again if we left it at``you didn't do anything wrong''.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 10:08

From Harrisburg
I know if you hit the Letort and the fish spot you, it would be pretty silly to wait till they start feeding again rather than move on.
At Big Springs, the smaller ones will start back after awhile but you wont see the big ones again untill the next day.
Yet if you go to the heavily stocked streams such as the Breeches or the Lehigh, you can fish over them all day. Sometimes even seeing a trout you had caught previously in the day start feeding again.
From what I hear about Valley, I would approach it like the Letort.

Doesnt mean that fellow wasn't an anus though.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 11:10

From Chester County
I fish Valley quite a bit and I believe that since along the stream it is common to see hikers, runners, people on horseback, dogs, herds of deer, flocks of geese and ducks, fisherman, etc. The fish are used to being disturbed and return to feeding in a short amount of time. I also fish the Letort and Big Spring quite a bit too. Spooked fish will return to feeding, it just takes a longer time. When I spook fish there, I usually rest the spot, return later, and cautiously move into position to fish.

In the Little Lehigh and the Yellow Breeches most are stocked fish. They often times nip at your shoelaces and you have to shoo them away or else you'll be be retying your laces all day.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 12:33

The question was about etiquette. What you did was mistake another person as a friend. No foul. The unintended victim of your error was miffed. You both went at it from both ends. He was wrong not to assume you were just some rude idiot. You were wrong not to apologize and explain you thought he was a friend and continue out of the area apologizing for spooking his hole. It’s not about being on this forum or not, it’s about being polite. Don't always assume that everyone is a jerk or they will be. There are miles and miles of stream and if anyone thinks one hole is it, they aren’t really fishing. Give them that hole and find pleasure in the rest of the stream. I fished a deep whole yesterday and caught a creek chub. My son fished the flats and caught a pig rainbow in a small pool. You acted like a jerk but want justification for making a mistake. Simple as that. Sorry to be blunt but we all make mistakes but it is usually us girls that try to find someone to agree with us that we were actually right when we weren’t. I don’t like having someone bark at me, it makes me want to whack them with my fly rod. I guess its how you chose to handle it that determines whether or not you can continue to enjoy the rest of the day catching fish down the line. So far I haven’t whacked one person. :)

Posted on: 2008/5/3 13:03

The irony here is the people who say don't sweat it appear to blissfully oblivious to how many times they ruined their own and others chance to catch ``the big one''.
I have had the pleasure to fish some of the great waters in their heyday.
The leTort
Armstrong springs
The firehole
and many others.
One thing was a constant-you spook the throphy ones-forget it.Mostly because they mainly feed at nite anyway.
Granted the average run of the mill and or recently stocked trout are less spooky,usually but who wants to be a level one fly fisherman all their life? Or even level two? Its catching the most difficult that is the most fun.lol

Posted on: 2008/5/3 13:15

I've seen tons of fly fisherman walk through productive water spooking fish they didn't even think were there. I don't think it's a no sweat it attitude I think not everyone has the knowledge to know streams, stocked or not. I guess my point was if more people conversed instead of getting their waders in a wad. More people would understand why they crossed where they shouldn't and walked where they shouldn't instead of sharing insults.

To reach the level you are fishing in areas around us we have learned to fish in December and we do. :)

Posted on: 2008/5/3 13:36

Pete41

The leTort
Armstrong springs
The firehole

If you want to start a new topic, we fish basically NE and SC Pa. I wouldn't mind hearing about fishing those areas when you fished them if you care to share.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 14:37

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
171 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com