Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Another bow of questionable origin

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I've never caught a wild fish that had an orange stripe.

Almost every wild bow I've caught had basically no stripe at all and were pretty washed out. Not saying they're all like that.

See post #30, 1st pic. That's a confirmed wild.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 14:53

From LV
EVW659, your rainbow may be wild, and it certainly is well fed. I can't say for sure mostly because I can't see the caudal fin.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 19:30

From LV
Pcray, absence of red stripe may not mean a fish is stocked, I've caught plenty of bows in Big Spring that the red was absent or very pail. Ditto for the Upper Delaware, but the orange is not typical of a rainbow that is wild. I saw your pics and I believe they probably are wild, I've caught fish like them that I believe were wild. There are so many variations of rainbows that you could possibly catch several very different looking bows in the same stream.
Robert Behnke's book shows the diffent variations of the bows and he also explains the dissemination of the fish from the west coast.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 19:44

So you're saying orange means stocked, but pink/red not a prerequisite to be wild? Interesting. Can't say I have any examples counter to this, guess I never really thought about it.

The fish was wild. It's from an unstocked stream known to have wild rainbows in NW PA. There are at least a dozen such streams on the western side of the state. I know of 5 in NW PA and then a few more in Westmoreland County. Here's another from the same stream, this one is really ugly, but I include it because it shows the fins really well. It does have a faint stripe, and apparantly had a run in with a predator of some sort.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/4/23 19:57

From LV
I can see the red stripe, it is very faint, but where's the pectoral fin? It seems to be missing. Good example of coloration. I'm not ready to call it wild though because of the missing fin.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 21:34

It just doesn't show up in the pic. That's from an unstocked, class A rainbow stream. Well, actually it's above the class A section, but there's bows nonetheless. Over a mile hike from the nearest access point, with no access points upstream.

Here's another. This one from another stream in the same system, also known to have wild bows and miles above the nearest stocking point.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/4/23 21:38

From LV
These are all good examples of what wild bows should look like, not the white tips on the fins, almost always present on wild fish. Spots all the way to the white belly, and not just a few, but hundreds also spots all the way to the bottom of the tail. well formed bodies with good proportions, head not too small for the body or too large for the body. Indicates good diet and fairly normal growth rate. Finally very olive coloring to the white belly.
Note there are also parr marks, though I have seen parr marks on plenty of stockies, but on stockies they are usually very faint.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 22:27

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com