An encounter

R

rrt

The other day, I ran into a backwoods-type guy fishing. He was just ending as I started, and during our pleasantries, he noted he was going back to the BFO River to fish for suckers. He hadn't gotten any there the day before; all he could catch were a couple of trout. He had kept them and taken them home to eat. Here's the deal: The BFO is no-kill. Not wanting to become involved in a Deliverance-type encounter (he was bigger and younger than I am), I told him not to get caught with any trout, that the whole river was catch-and-release. He was shocked, honestly I think. He thought trout could be creeled below a certain point of the river. He told me, again honestly I believe, he wouldn't be keeping any fish there any more. We then moved onto the game commission, deer overkill, screwy orange regulations, and WMU boundary problems. Anyhow, perhaps my non-threatening approach to saying the BFO was a c/r river was the right one, after all. (I imagine some of you "young lions" would have taken a more forceful approach!)

That's probably how I would have handled it. Well played imo.

jayL wrote:
That's probably how I would have handled it. Well played imo.

+1
Definitely the right approach in situations like this. Oftentimes a gentle explanation of the regs gets the best result rather than a forceful and accusatory demeanor.

That was the best approach!

Frederick simply could never pull that off. The guy would have immediately fallen down laughing. Some of us just look like we only have one form of persuasion at our disposal and that is "gentle persuasion."

Sucker meat better than trout?

I have heard that sucker meat is sort of mushy textured, but that it firms up around the beginning of spawning season (which is in the early spring, iirc) and that it's pretty good eating in season.

I have not confirmed those reports personally. No doubt it also depends on the water quality of the source where the fish are taken- a foul or muddy stream makes for a muddy tasting fish.

Also, when I've read reports on chemical and metals contamination related to fish consumption advisories, I've noted that suckers are one of the species that tends to concentrate those toxic substances the most. It's always a good idea to check on any fish consumption advisories- some are statewide, others are more specific to different bodies of water.

Nicely done, Rich.

We always assume that everyone knows the regs and is breaking the law intentionally.....not always the case.

No reason to immediately assume a combat stance, and Fredrick a guy.

Always best to assume the honest mistake. People screw up sometimes...

Agree with the approach.
Used to eat sucker cakes as a kid......."meh".

This is the first thread I read today and I jumped here because I figured it was a bigfoot or mountain lion thread. Dang!
Great job rrt, I would have added that the fine is $1000 per fish. that always discourages them.

Rich, that was me, and I was just being polite. :p

OK, no it wasn't me, buy you should have told him he could keep the suckers.;-)

You handled it well, but I'm still betting the guy knew.

Back